Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 07:12 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times

Advertisements

At least you admit they are mind games, now treat them as such. Play along and don't get too caught up on it. Recognizing it is the best thing in the world for you. You can play as well as the next applicant. Do it! Be a warrior! Don't get your feelings hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 08:03 AM

856 posts, read 1,052,243 times
Exclamation Over It

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
Last week I went on another interview. It went really well.

Get a call from HR today saying they are interviewing another candidate and now an internal candidate has expressed interest in the position

I am furious. I am so ****ing sick of these mind games
Hi, Til....

You said you are a student so I am going to assume you are young and not restarting your career in mid-life.

1. Everyone here has already hit the high points:

It's not over until the fat lady sings;

Always keep applying until you have an Offer and have accepted it.

2. You actually have been done a favor (again, assuming you are young and just starting out)

Life and Business has a lot of twists to it and even when people have the best intentions, things may not come out as you anticipate.

Anticipation is often based on assumptions and it is never a good idea to assume.

So while you are upset because it sounded like a sure thing, you wisely have, as you said, three more interviews pending.

So always stack the deck in your favor everywhere you go and,

Know that most everyone has their own agenda and you may be a consequence of what is going on, not the cause.

So, from here on out, never assume and always take it as a matter of course that a business will do whatever suits it to achieve its goals. So never take any of this 'stuff' personally.

The more you know what possibilities exist, the better prepared you are to anticipate them, accept them or deal with them when you encounter them.

So again, never assume and always keep applying.

You mentioned healthcare- I recruit for healthcare, mostly hospitals.

You did not say what you do/are graduating to do.

If you would be more specific -here or by PM- perhaps I can give you some additional tips on how best to get noticed and be interviewed.

Paul...

Old 03-14-2015, 09:07 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
I don't get what it means when people say they are over it. Does this mean you are done working? Never applying to jobs again?

Old 03-14-2015, 10:03 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,591 times
My wife was told she would be hired at a large company, and all she was waiting for was the official offer and salary. She talked to them numerous times through the process, and they constantly said, "You're our gal". The company ended up eliminating that entire department, and the manager had to call my wife to let her down and apologize. My wife was ready to put in her 2 weeks notice and was very upset, but she maintained a positive attitude and said thanks for the opportunity anyway.

Fast forward a month, and the same manager called my wife back. She said they created a position just for my wife because they liked her and already performed a background check during the previous hiring process. They didn't want to let her go to another employer and wanted her in the door. They had to post the position online, but they didn't even interview or call anyone else for it.

My advice to the OP: No matter what happens, keep trying and maintain a positive attitude. Don't complain or burn any bridges because you never know when another opportunity will open up with that company, and they've already heard your name. Just my two cents.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:21 PM

607 posts, read 978,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
She.

Yes, they are well entitled to interview, but don't tell me to get prepared to put my two-week notice in and then turn around and continue to interview other candidates as well. They were NOT honest with me.

She insisted that I shadow the unit. She told me that I would hear back tomorrow "which should give you enough to put your two-week notice in for orientation." Honestly, that sounds like playing games to me.

No attitude here. I just am tired of people playing games.

Never take anything they say verbally as absolute truth. You never have a job offer until it is in writing. Then you can sign it or deny the offer and put in your two weeks.

People will say you can get ready to put in your two week notice but never trust such a statement.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:36 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
I can understand the OP's frustration 100%. It's really sad when you have to go through so many hoops just to get a basic job.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:10 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
How do You know they are "stringing the OP along"?

No, ONE NEVER ASSUMES the job offer is "solid' and that one HAS the job until one gets a notice via mail, OR gets the "Can you start on Monday?" query in person.

The OP DID NOT get that, just an alert that he/she "has enough time to submit a two-week notice". Meaning they AREN'T filling the job THAT DAY. And obviously not TODAY either {or yesterday}.

And just because one is angry about it,, doesn't mean one shouldn't "calm down", especially IF you WANT the job!
Showing an attitude is the QUICKEST AND SUREST way to NOT get a job!

The OP can be as mad or angry as they wants, but that doesn't change the fact that the OP has NOT YET BEEN OFFERED THE JOB.

Until the offer is a little more solid, the OP should continue looking for another job, or be happy where one is...

The offer doesn't have to be solid in order to be considered stringing along. If the company drops hints (both verbal hints and using body language) and yet clearly has no intention of hiring him, then that's stringing him along.

Also, venting on the C-D forums is NOT the same thing as showing an attitude towards the company. It's very possible to act differently at different times using different mediums.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:58 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,683 times
Sounds like an honest mistake by the manager. She thought they were going to hire you since you were the best candidate at the time. And then an even better candidate showed up at the last minute.

But technically she didn't do anything wrong. What she said about two weeks notice and orientation was conditional on you being hired, obviously, and she never said anything to the effect of "we're hiring you", did she?

This may still turn out well.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:00 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
The offer doesn't have to be solid in order to be considered stringing along. If the company drops hints (both verbal hints and using body language) and yet clearly has no intention of hiring him, then that's stringing him along.
Doesn't sound like they clearly had someone else in mind at the time to me.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:48 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,562 times
I completely understand your frustration, OP. Job hunting in general is annoying as crap. I recently went on an interview that seemed to go very well - lasted for two hours and included a tour of the facility and they introduced me to a lot of people. Then a few days later I got a rejection email. It's just such a let down when you spend that much time and make that much effort to get nada. At least in my case they never (verbally) gave me any false hope!

It's not what you want to hear, but keep plugging along. That's about all you can do these days and hope that one person will take a chance on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search