Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 04:14 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I don't know why it matters so much. What happened to written communication? They can't have a job for people who just email or do live chat?

That would be nice and yes, but hard to find. Few people understand ASD. I've worked with an organization that liasoned to find such jobs (employment counselors educating employers), so some ASD clients on the higher-end of spectrum had jobs that didn't require it.

Ubfortunately this is still a world that thinks you can fix it with a pill, not that it is a way if "being",or that adhd-asd are the same thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 04:33 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
That would be nice and yes, but hard to find. Few people understand ASD. I've worked with an organization that liasoned to find such jobs (employment counselors educating employers), so some ASD clients on the higher-end of spectrum had jobs that didn't require it.

Ubfortunately this is still a world that thinks you can fix it with a pill, not that it is a way if "being",or that adhd-asd are the same thing!
People don't understand mental problems in general. I guess they don't understand unless they have it but it's kinda stupid that they can't take the time to understand because isn't everyone a little mental?
One person I told on this one message board they said really you seem so normal and the irony is if I seem so normal why do I often get ignored there? Maybe I write too much idk but it's still odd.
I think people can't often tell especially if you're on the low end. I guess most people don't know I have anything because I can verbalize. Having mental problems doesn't mean I'm a mute IRL. I just have glitches in my speech and the way I explain myself.

Yeah I know people think everything can be fixed with a pill. The last therapist I went to I told them about how I was depressed they said you might consider medication. Gee I didn't know there was medication for depression considering it's shown on the TV all the time I told them I don't believe in medication. They said that they weren't forcing me they just think I should consider it. K whatever you say.
None of it makes any sense. If I'm depressed because I'm unemployed, then what other solution is there but to get a job? The thing that really sucks is as a mental person, if you think about it there are often abilities that you'd have that a neurotypical person wouldn't because your brain would have room for them you know but where would you find someone who values those?

Last edited by Nickchick; 03-14-2015 at 04:57 PM..

Old 03-14-2015, 04:47 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times
At my job, it is a always game to figure out who the job postings are for. The postings and interviews are almost always nothing more than go-through-the-motions time wasters. All thats missing is an actual description of the person themselves.
"Must have, degree, brown hair, left-handed and live in . . . "

Old 03-14-2015, 06:03 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,569,502 times
I don't agree with that premise. The junior people to take the lower paying introductory jobs need to be interviewed to see if they fit in. If you have been switching between companies and know people in the companies you probably won't be interviewed. I'm a senior engineer and the later case is my situation. Two interviews since 2003: One I accepted then declined. the other I accepted for the one year consulting gig. But worked at 3 different companies.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:21 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
I know of one company that ask the question if you know anybody or if your related to anybody that works for their company. Suposedly this is for a recomendation. I do think that many times it is the primary reason that people are hired. It is very suspicious that the most 'qualified' applicants are always the best friend or son or daughter of another senior employee.

If I was young and looking for a company and long term employement; I would look at new companies that have just opened their doors. Then the companies are hungry for any employees. They have not had enourgh time to develope bad habits - like nepotism, favoritism, and butt kissing. It is easier to also fight your way to the top and then start your own bad hiring practices.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:08 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,327 times
Sigh...

I can't believe I'm typing all this.

An interviewer does not know who they want to hire beforehand. Even if there is a favorite candidate on paper, the candidate still has to pass several tests before the employer feels comfortable with hiring him/her. The tests I'm talking about here mean basic checks such as: is this person real? Did he lie on his resume? Can he carry a normal conversation? Can he carry a business conversation? Does he work well with teams? Is he willing to work around the clock? Yadda yadda yadda.

An interview is also an opportunity for a candidate to understand more about the company: the office culture, corporate policies, business model, boss' management style, etc. If the candidate does not feel that the job is a good fit, he can deny the offer if extended to him.

If you're a fan of hiring someone without actually talking to him first, maybe you should move to India. Over there, many people even get married before meeting the spouse.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:09 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I know of one company that ask the question if you know anybody or if your related to anybody that works for their company. Suposedly this is for a recomendation. I do think that many times it is the primary reason that people are hired. It is very suspicious that the most 'qualified' applicants are always the best friend or son or daughter of another senior employee.

If I was young and looking for a company and long term employement; I would look at new companies that have just opened their doors. Then the companies are hungry for any employees. They have not had enourgh time to develope bad habits - like nepotism, favoritism, and butt kissing. It is easier to also fight your way to the top and then start your own bad hiring practices.
It's sickening. It basically implies if you aren't someone who makes friends you can't have a job.

That does make sense about new companies. The problem is I haven't seen any new companies in my area. I think I've seen some on Craigslist but I can't tell what is legit.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:12 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,905 times
this isn't the case in my field

Old 03-14-2015, 07:25 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

Then explain why I always check the "no" box and still get hired. It also doesn't account for all the people who check the "yes" box and don't get hired.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:34 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Oh there is some "law" some damn "rule" requiring that jobs be posted and interviews be done (bull**** formalities) even if they already have the candidate they want for the position.
For most companies, there is no law requiring that job openings need to be posted. There are some guidelines for public sector jobs (state and federal), but even that varies a fair bit.

I have two openings at the moment, and I have no idea who I am going to hire. I do know that one of the openings requires a specific license, which I have listed in the opening as a non-negotiable requirement. When I checked in with HR last Friday I found that I had only received 3 applicants with the license, and HR had rejected about 20 applicants with no license.

Sorry if you are frustrated by your job search, but your venom is mis-directed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search