Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 06:11 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times

Advertisements

Interviews are also good to get more information about their experience. While the job tasks may be similar, there can varying degrees of difficult for the same task at different companies.

When my employer acquired another company, I found that the same job position at the other company was much much easier. The difficult parts of their job duties were outsourced to vendors. At our office, we did the hard tasks in-house. The same job description and same years of experience, but they didn't have the hands on-knowledge to do the tasks. They didn't have the subject matter expertise either, because their work was more data entry, while the same job at our company need more than data entry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 09:51 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Sometimes the company hired someone and wanted to make it legit. I saw this at my former employer. Other companies already have an idea and others don't. I have lost jobs to less qualified and so have many.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:24 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
I've seen this only with internal applicants where the hiring manager already knows who they want, but they have to follow protocol.

it is a waste of everyones time.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:22 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
so why aren't you looking for a career? I've turned down jobs because I didn't like how the work area was setup before, other times because I didn't like how it "felt". I've turned down just as many offers as I've been turned down by companies. Or I have a few offers at once and I have to pick the best and turn down the rest.

Just applying for a job doesn't mean you will end up working there even if they like you. Which is why interviews should be two way and not just them selecting someone, you should do your job in deciding if you want to work there
You need more experience for a career. They usually put in at least a few years as requirement so getting an entry level career is even harder than getting a job just starting out. I would end up working there until I found something better. I wouldn't leave a job or turn down a job unless I had another one guaranteed to me that was better. To leave without that guarantee would just be stupid to me. I have a hard enough time getting a job without rejecting what is offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
If you don't ask questions during the interview process, how will you know if this is the RIGHT job for you ? We see threads on here every day with someone moaning about how they took a job and now hate it. By you asking some key questions during the interview, it not only shows them you want a position with the company, but also that you intend on staying for the long haul.

I have interviewed a bunch of people over the years who sat there and simply answered my questions, without asking me anything. It left me with the impression that this was just someone looking for ANY job and that as soon as something better came along they would be gone.

Nope, the interview is for them and for you.

Don
By looking at the job description. That tells me all I need to know. If I'm still confused I'll do my own research and look the company up. If it's not a new business I probably have experience with it as a customer. I'm different I guess. I would never complain about job. I'd much rather have a boss I hated than to be unemployed. There's nothing worse for my well being than unemployment.
Well of course they'll be gone when something better comes along. Should they stay unemployed until they find the PERFECT job? Don't get me wrong I'm pretty selective (I wouldn't work at the grocery store for example) but I'm also keeping a few options open.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:34 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
We didn't imply to be unemployed, I just meant that I've turned down job offers because I didn't like what I saw of company during interview. At least didn't like it enough to leave the current job. Maybe it's a luxury that employed people have because they still have a job? But it's one that I'll gladly enjoy. I get to be picky over who I go work for because I'm still "content" at the current job but just apply every once in a while to put feelers out and see what's the going rate/changes in industry. Every few years I hit upon something that makes me want to switch jobs.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:50 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
We didn't imply to be unemployed, I just meant that I've turned down job offers because I didn't like what I saw of company during interview. At least didn't like it enough to leave the current job. Maybe it's a luxury that employed people have because they still have a job? But it's one that I'll gladly enjoy. I get to be picky over who I go work for because I'm still "content" at the current job but just apply every once in a while to put feelers out and see what's the going rate/changes in industry. Every few years I hit upon something that makes me want to switch jobs.
Yeah that's what I mean. I don't have that luxury so how does an interview benefit ME at all especially when I don't even get hardly any so I have no room for mistakes?

Old 03-19-2015, 08:55 AM

194 posts, read 222,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Why beat around the bush?? Just say there will be no interviews, we already have our candidate

Oh there is some "law" some damn "rule" requiring that jobs be posted and interviews be done (bull**** formalities) even if they already have the candidate they want for the position.

What the purpose of laws or rules when companies essentially have free reign to do essentially do WHATEVER they want to do anyways and never face any type of punishment. Where is the policing of these out on control unscrupulous corporations?

Quit wasting everyone's time you jerks
I so agree. Being on the inside I can tell you 95% of the time they are going to hire a friend or family member or someone from within the organization. I even interviewed once for a position I was certain to get but the manager was REQUIRED to interview several other people as well. They didn't know they didn't stand a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search