Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 10:19 AM

545 posts, read 1,484,306 times

Advertisements

I think three is acceptable, but the third should definitely be a final "warm fuzzy" meeting rather than more of the same. My last two were like this. First was the standard weed out round, usually a phone interview. Second, in person and much more specific to the position. Third, meeting with upper level management to make sure both sides were comfortable with each other. After that, I'm not sure what more could have been covered. If either side isn't sure at that point, it's probably best to walk away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 10:38 AM

194 posts, read 221,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian571 View Post
I think three is acceptable, but the third should definitely be a final "warm fuzzy" meeting rather than more of the same. My last two were like this. First was the standard weed out round, usually a phone interview. Second, in person and much more specific to the position. Third, meeting with upper level management to make sure both sides were comfortable with each other. After that, I'm not sure what more could have been covered. If either side isn't sure at that point, it's probably best to walk away.
The third was going to be with the SAME people. I've read that they like to have several people present these days so that if they make an ooops they can all blame one another and one person won't take the fall. There was nothing more to cover. I'm not a rocket scientist.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:52 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
I think you can get a feel for the point where they are just wasting your time. Everyone has a limit. I always tell my husband to ask how many people are interviewing for the position which gives an indication of just where they are with the hiring process. I think some like to "play" with the applicants as a sort of power trip. I do think though that you'll get a feel for who is wasting your time.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:09 AM

780 posts, read 678,212 times
I guess you were frustrated because you didn't even really want that job to begin with and gave yourself a reason as to why you wouldn't move forward. You think they were being ridiculous wasting your time but keep in mind that it is also your interviewer's time that is being eaten up every time you talk/meet. A real company wouldn't pull you along with multiple interviews just because they can or get a kick out of it.

The company I work for, we do 3.

Day 1, with the team lead (he evaluates the hard skills). This takes from 30 mins - 1 hr max. Oh, and he does the calling and does like a 5 - 10 mins chit chat to get an idea of you, so I don't know if you would consider that one interview already.
Day 2, with the CTO and business manager (they evaluate the person overall). This takes about 15 - 30 mins max.
Day 3, with the CEO (he looks for soft skills. We are a small company, everyone needs to contribute more than just the job title). This will take about 15 - 30 mins max.

These interviews are never done on the same day.

With us, 3 interviews but to work here is worth-it.

Example: I got a 10k raise on my first year. We got a Christmas bonus worth one month's pay (tax-free). We get to travel as part of our job, get executive suites, get free tickets to sports events...definitely worth the 3rd interview.

Let's say it was for a company you've always wanted to be a part of, offering above your expected salary, will you still stick to your 2 interview mark? For example, Google definitely goes beyond 2 interviews, would you say, "no thanks" if they gave you a call? I know here in Canada, government jobs means taking a test, preliminary interviews and more test and interviews but once you're in you're pretty much set.

I think it's great to have a limit, but I don't know how this is beneficial for you, especially if you have no job at the moment. Well, I just assumed you don't, but if you do have a job and have to take a day off to get to the third interview, then having a limit is completely reasonable IMO.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:14 AM

469 posts, read 637,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali504 View Post
Recently I had an phone interview and an hour face to face meeting. They asked many of the SAME questions that was asked in the phone interview which was frustrating. I just don't get it. Well they called the other day wanting ANOTHER interview. Sorry, no can do. I will not jump through hoops for a position that has a lower end salary AND requires a few weekends a month. I have some pride and I will not be toyed with. This caused me to search online and read various articles of the games these people (hiring managers) play. Some even admitted to going on 10-14 interviews for jobs and being told they went with someone else . It felt soooo good to tell them I was no longer interested. I have decided I will not go past two interviews. I had already spent two hours TALKING with these people and my time is valuable. It feels good to set up this personal limit b/c as they say...employers already know before the interview concludes whether or not they are going to hire you. What's your personal limit on job interviews with one company?
You will love this video....

https://youtu.be/Aoccx6OdlgI

Old 03-19-2015, 11:19 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
From your other posts you always say that you are basically a minimum wage employee with a science degree which is not in any demand. So how exactly do you see yourself being the one who sets the rules? In other words, is there a surprise that you are underemployed and miserable with "rules" like yours?
I make $73k and love my job not sure where you get your facts though I can take a guess.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:24 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
I wouldn't include the phone screen as an interview. More than 2-3 in-person interviews on separate dates and I bolt. People that require more than that are just hopelessly indecisive and lacking in consideration for other's time and resources. Not traits I like to see in a potential employer. As I said in another post with the job market improving a lot of companies that bleep around with talent are going to find they aren't willing to eat the same amount of excrement as during the recession. They will be deservedly getting the leftovers from their competitors and complaining about a talent shortage.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:47 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,197 times
I would call the company and straight up ask them what will be the focus of the 3rd interview and how it will differ from the first two interviews. I have never had more than two interviews, but I have usually asked this question for the second interview and received helpful responses (e.g. first interview was for hard skills, second for overall fit / first was with direct supervisors and second will also include Division Director / etc.)

It's hard to imagine how any position could require more than 3 interviews but I hear this is the norm for high level corporate positions.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:19 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
The worst I had was interviewing with a company for 7 hours. I was passed around different departments. They all had a sheet with the same questions that I was asked over and over again. Ridiculous!! That said, I wouldn't pass the possibility of a job if they needed ten interviews.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:00 PM

405 posts, read 572,908 times
I got frustrated with the job I currently have now as I was contacted the day after my interviews to come back in the next day to meet with a higher up (1 guy). Very inconvenient. I had just wrapped up 4 interviews with other companies that week so I didn't return their call and they were aware of my previous interviews. Next day they called again, I didn't answer. Then they emailed saying they wanted to discuss adding me to the team, they cancelled the other interview. I think they sensed I wasn't too happy about coming back so quickly. But people who really want you don't mess around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search