Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2015, 11:52 AM

115 posts, read 226,814 times

Advertisements

Wow, after months of no contacts, I now have three interviews set up for this week. What I find interesting is that these three interviews all come from applying to Craigslist jobs, I only apply to companies where it is clearly not through an agency or outside recruiter and where the company name is listed so I can figure out if I want to make the commute. I usually tailor my resume to the job and send a cover letter, for these jobs, I applied to all of them last Friday and received calls for interviews today, I did not tailor my resume or send cover letters.

The interview today is for the job I want the most but it pays the absolute least and would be a struggle financially but has room for rapid advancement and raises in the industry that most fits my lifestyle and is one of the many reasons that I came to Colorado.

The second one involves much more customer service than I like to do but pays a couple of dollars more an hour and is five minutes from home.

The third pays around 6 dollars more dollars per hour is a reasonable distance but would most likely require having to pay for all day parking downtown, or other forms of commuting to get to the job thus costing more for the commute overall but is a larger company with great benefits. I need the amount of money that comes from this job, I would have no struggles financially.

I really want the first job but really think the third one is the smarter move, I've been unhappy in most of my positions so debating over love or money and leaning to love.

None of the jobs may be offered to me at all and I won't have to stress over a wrong decision. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 01:27 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Well good luck! It sounds like three great possibilities.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:31 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
You have to laugh at how things go sometimes. No activity and then three interviews all in one week.

Best of luck and please let us know how it goes.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:33 PM

306 posts, read 517,732 times
Good luck.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:18 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovester View Post
Wow, after months of no contacts, I now have three interviews set up for this week. What I find interesting is that these three interviews all come from applying to Craigslist jobs, I only apply to companies where it is clearly not through an agency or outside recruiter and where the company name is listed so I can figure out if I want to make the commute. I usually tailor my resume to the job and send a cover letter, for these jobs, I applied to all of them last Friday and received calls for interviews today, I did not tailor my resume or send cover letters.

The interview today is for the job I want the most but it pays the absolute least and would be a struggle financially but has room for rapid advancement and raises in the industry that most fits my lifestyle and is one of the many reasons that I came to Colorado.

The second one involves much more customer service than I like to do but pays a couple of dollars more an hour and is five minutes from home.

The third pays around 6 dollars more dollars per hour is a reasonable distance but would most likely require having to pay for all day parking downtown, or other forms of commuting to get to the job thus costing more for the commute overall but is a larger company with great benefits. I need the amount of money that comes from this job, I would have no struggles financially.

I really want the first job but really think the third one is the smarter move, I've been unhappy in most of my positions so debating over love or money and leaning to love.

None of the jobs may be offered to me at all and I won't have to stress over a wrong decision. LOL
Well since you never been happy in any of your jobs now it's up to you to ask the right questions during the interview so you can determine if it's the job for you.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:05 AM

FBJ, thanks for the advice, I did not say I was unhappy at all of my jobs, just most of them. I ask the right questions but the answers are based on what people in the positions prior to me did.

For example, as inventory control I was told it takes all day to get all of the documents, data and research done and there would most definitely be overtime each Friday, after a month of working there, I had streamlined the process so much that I had all the days work completed in three hours, eliminated the need for OT on Fridays, had nothing to do most of the rest of the day, I offered assistance to anyone who would take it, streamlined other processes and still wound up with about two hours a day of free time each day, which makes the day very long.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:18 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovester View Post
FBJ, thanks for the advice, I did not say I was unhappy at all of my jobs, just most of them. I ask the right questions but the answers are based on what people in the positions prior to me did.

For example, as inventory control I was told it takes all day to get all of the documents, data and research done and there would most definitely be overtime each Friday, after a month of working there, I had streamlined the process so much that I had all the days work completed in three hours, eliminated the need for OT on Fridays, had nothing to do most of the rest of the day, I offered assistance to anyone who would take it, streamlined other processes and still wound up with about two hours a day of free time each day, which makes the day very long.
Yeah sometimes employers hold back info and don't tell you everything. Just like I thought I was applying to a job that involved no travel or public speaking and found out I have to do public speaking once a month. So the fact that it's once a month I didn't make a big deal out of it but I still thought it was no public speaking.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:29 PM

5,898 posts, read 3,899,147 times
I've had three different interviews in three days (four interviews if you include another company's phone screening).

There is nothing quite like talking to unfamiliar people and being interrogated with question after question for an hour.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:52 PM

So far, two of the three interviews did not pan out, today's went really well, lots of engagement on both sides, they loved my answers, I'll know next week. The job I really wanted is a no, it really is an industry dominated by the under age 35 crowd from my experience, I was hoping I could fit in but pretty much knew it was just a pipe (no pun intended) dream. The highest paying job was not even a good feel for me pulling up to the place, I knew it was wrong to begin with, today's interview was for the job closest to home so that would be a huge benefit, five minute commute, 20-30 minute walk.

Interesting observation, they told me that they only received 19 applications in one weeks time, those they wanted to interview were sent an email with the details of when where etc, after receiving a call, in the email, they included 3 relatively simple interview questions in the form of a survey which needed to be completed and returned prior to the interview so they could get to know the applicant a bit before hand- Full name, how do you deal with stress, list three personality traits. They told me that half of the people they invited for the interview did not complete the questions, it was done through a Survey service with individually chosen questions,so perhaps that is why. Ok by me, that knocks half the people out of the running all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search