Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 12:22 AM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times

Advertisements

The best interviews IMO are the ones that have balance. Ones where there is an even exchange between the interviewer and the interviewee; ones that flow like a natural conversation.

However, there are many other times where it is "dominated" by the interviewer. It's perfectly expected for the interviewer to lead the way and give you all the details. But when it's hard for you to get some words in or even ask questions about things (when you're not deliberately asked typical questions), it's not a good sign. Do you feel your interviews have been pretty even or have they been one-sided?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 06:34 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Most of the time they are even. I have had many interviews where the interviewer just talks at me. I find those to be not engaging and lose interest in the job.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:36 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Typically the interviewer is in the position of control and thus dominates the conversation.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:44 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,055 times
You have to take control of the interview. Dont walk in there and wait for them to shake your hand and say hello and ask you questions.

Take initiative. Walk over to them, shake their hand. Give them a resume and tart asking them quesions. I usually open with some small talk and then I say:

"Mr/Mrs Hiring Manager, I am sure you have a lot of questions regarding my reume and background, but if you don't mind I wanted to open up by asking you a question. Now, I have read the job description and I know your company well, but, in your own words can tou tell me what your perfect candidate looks like."

They usually comment that this is a great question and no one has ever asked them that and then they proceed to tell you exactly what they are looking for. You take this info and repeat it back to them and bam...you are the perfect candidate.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
You have to take control of the interview. Dont walk in there and wait for them to shake your hand and say hello and ask you questions.

Take initiative. Walk over to them, shake their hand. Give them a resume and tart asking them quesions.
That's the thing though, some of them don't like being interrogated with questions. It completely depends on the interviewer though. Some are more lax, some are more authoritarian.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I have had many interviews where the interviewer just talks at me. I find those to be not engaging and lose interest in the job.
Did you feel that those types of interviews were a complete waste of time once you were finished?

Old 03-27-2015, 09:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post

Take initiative. Walk over to them, shake their hand. Give them a resume and tart asking them quesions. I usually open with some small talk and then I say:

"Mr/Mrs Hiring Manager, I am sure you have a lot of questions regarding my reume and background, but if you don't mind I wanted to open up by asking you a question. Now, I have read the job description and I know your company well, but, in your own words can you tell me what your perfect candidate looks like."

They usually comment that this is a great question and no one has ever asked them that and then they proceed to tell you exactly what they are looking for. You take this info and repeat it back to them and bam...you are the perfect candidate.
Our response would be "we will give you an opportunity to ask questions at the end of the interview". Your advice may work in some cases. Then we would proceed with our pre-written questions, meant to guarantee fair and equal treatment by asking all candidates the same questions, with limited follow-up questions. It's an attempt to gain information ahead of time that would help them answer our questions, which is great, but this is not the time and place. The candidate should have done the research on our company ahead of time and be able to shape their responses based on that research.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Typically the interviewer is in the position of control and thus dominates the conversation.
I agree but I find engagement to be key. Like a previous poster, I've had interviews where the guy just sits and talks at me for a half hour. I find that I quickly lose interest once I can't engage with them.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:40 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,660 times
Interviews would always be one sided for me but obviously that's just because I'm not a sociable person IRL. I really dread the end where they ask "do you have any questions for me?" I'm pretty sure if I ever get another interview, I will be so tempted to say "yes, can I have the job now?" I'm not interested in talking to the interviewer. I just want to work.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:05 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
That's the thing though, some of them don't like being interrogated with questions. It completely depends on the interviewer though. Some are more lax, some are more authoritarian.

No interviewer has ever said to me that it felt like an interrogation.

If people regularly feel like they are being interrogated by you in interviews, I recommend doing practice interviews with a friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search