Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 06:45 PM

144 posts, read 597,109 times

Advertisements

I have a medical and science background. For the last 2.5 years I was working in the medical field after graduating with my last degree. I quickly realized that I disliked the work and the company that I worked for (which has a faily poor reputation) did not help since they were pushing me to work faster and faster to the detriment of my quality of work as well as my mental and medical health. I was "let go" when they learned that I was looking for other employment.

When I did not get another job in the first 2 months I applied for unemployment insurance. I got that after a judicial hearing. I am not interested in the medical field anymore and I certainly would not have any good references anyways, but I have several years experience in the biological sciences and molecular biology so I have been applying to those types of positions. It has been about 4 months since I lost my job and I really do not want to have to use my retirement savings so I have been applying to almost any position that I think I can do, store clerk, stock person, as well as entry level positions in the sciences since I have not received any call backs from applications to mid-level research positions.

Are there any other professionals who have had to take very low paying jobs in relation to what they previously made? If so what were your experiences? Thankfully I am ridiculously frugal, I think I can stay financially afloat on 1/3 of my previous salary so I am not above applying for jobs paying $12/hr.

Also for hiring officials, when I have applied for positions outside of the sciences or even for low level positions I have used a functional resume that lists skills related to the job first and my education last, also I removed my credentials after my name. I figured that may immediately cause hiring officials to pass over my resume for a low level job if they see first that I have an advanced degree. Do you think re-arranging my resume like that will help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 06:51 PM

595 posts, read 1,255,516 times
I bet you get an entry level job at a higher rate than $12 an hour.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkElephant View Post
I bet you get an entry level job at a higher rate than $12 an hour.
That would be great but these last 3-4 months with no call backs or interviews makes me think I don't want to let pride or presumption cause me to lose my home.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:11 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekia02 View Post
I have a medical and science background. For the last 2.5 years I was working in the medical field after graduating with my last degree. I quickly realized that I disliked the work and the company that I worked for (which has a faily poor reputation) did not help since they were pushing me to work faster and faster to the detriment of my quality of work as well as my mental and medical health. I was "let go" when they learned that I was looking for other employment.

When I did not get another job in the first 2 months I applied for unemployment insurance. I got that after a judicial hearing. I am not interested in the medical field anymore and I certainly would not have any good references anyways, but I have several years experience in the biological sciences and molecular biology so I have been applying to those types of positions. It has been about 4 months since I lost my job and I really do not want to have to use my retirement savings so I have been applying to almost any position that I think I can do, store clerk, stock person, as well as entry level positions in the sciences since I have not received any call backs from applications to mid-level research positions.

Are there any other professionals who have had to take very low paying jobs in relation to what they previously made? If so what were your experiences? Thankfully I am ridiculously frugal, I think I can stay financially afloat on 1/3 of my previous salary so I am not above applying for jobs paying $12/hr.

Also for hiring officials, when I have applied for positions outside of the sciences or even for low level positions I have used a functional resume that lists skills related to the job first and my education last, also I removed my credentials after my name. I figured that may immediately cause hiring officials to pass over my resume for a low level job if they see first that I have an advanced degree. Do you think re-arranging my resume like that will help?
Just make sure you don't accept anything because you don't want to take a lower paying job and become depressed. Make a list of jobs you know for a fact you would be willing to do and then focus on applying to those types of jobs. When I lost my job I wasn't sure what my next gig would be but i knew I wanted to work in an office environment. So the list of jobs I focused on were data entry clerk, customer service representative, and file clerk.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:45 PM

595 posts, read 1,255,516 times
I completely understand mekia02. I was just thinking of other's experiences. Mine has been a mix of telephone, inperson interviews then crickets. Or just crickets. I've got bills due and nothing to sell to raise cash. My car needs TLC and my little laptop and a little $100 22 inch TV that would not even pay one bill.

None of the neighbors would pay me to walk our dog. One odd duck is a professional dog walker but one convo with her and one son killed another and she's a lost bitter soul. I've tried to cheer her even with just a friendly hello. And any little ones here they don't speak English. We are not allowed to do anything to generate income on the property but the old goat next door and his retired pal gets drunk and demand I'm a hooker/stripper and to come out and earn money. They claim they have the office staff in the palm of their hands and my peace of mind here depends on their whim. This was the day after I signed the lease. Did you know it's a black mark if you pay the penalty to break the lease?

My brother (retired cop) says I train people how to treat me and must like it. My mom was a cocktail waitress and is afraid they are going to escalate and hurt me. Local cops say until they hurt me there's no crime. Moving in with my family is not an option. It sucks but I'm all alone without many resources and these men know it. My family knows it but hold my deceased ex against me and have went so far as to tell me I should have given my son up for adoption to them or someone else and should drink purple cool aid, take too many pills etc. I don't drink, do drugs or even smoke! I have worked in offices and did not marry well or take care of myself financially so to them, I am a complete failure. So I love them from a distance but their words hurt as much as the neighbor and his friends. They have also said no one can stand to hear my voice or see my face. That they "understand" these men want me gone.

I've went for counseling but since I'm not suicidal or homicidal they can't arrest or commit me and they say my life is unfortunate and that I'm sweet almost to the point of being naive but I have plenty of sarcasm and humor too. At least they save time and money and we had closure at that point. I went to another counselor for four years and not a bit of progress was made after four going on five years so I asked for a plan, some tools or I'd be stopping in a month. He treated the last session like a joke said I had given him enough money for a decent used car or down payment on a house and nothing had changed since the first month.

haha, I guess you could add patience to my list of assets and flaws too.

So I've got to try and put my best foot forward with a lot of baggage I dare tell no one about. In old times, all these issues were non issues when I was with my ex. He was my world, spent all the money, maxxed the credit cards and bailed. If I worked, I paid the bills. For about five years of thirty I did not work and my family calls me mooch and lazy.

I just want some security and peace.

I know you'll do fine but this job search and all the other factors are making what could've been a one month search much longer and harder than it has to be.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:22 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,055 times
You poor, poor victim you. The big bad world has been out to get you since day one, hasn't it.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:55 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I took a huge pay cut to change careers. I hated what I was doing, and fine with taking an entry level job to start in a new field. If that is your desired course, spin it that way with your cover letter.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:21 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekia02 View Post

Where are you currently located and is your nonmedical experience just in college or in a regular work setting? Are you open to relocating?

It sounds like you had a nasty employer and that a better fit culturally may lead to a better experience in the industry. I wouldn't be so quick to sell the medical field short - it is one of the few fields that's fairly portable, pays well, and is recession resistant. I don't know if any of that applies to your particular position, but it's something to think about it. Pure science positions are often temporary, concentrated in a few hubs, and are comparatively fewer.

The thing about taking a low paying job is that future employers often base what they will pay you based on what you are currently making vs. what the actual market compensation of the position is. It's not right and certainly doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:14 AM

I am in NC near Raleigh and there is a fair amount of Biotech and pharma jobs in the area. I worked full time for several years after undergrad in research then while in professional school I worked my summers in research. I am not really wanting to move, however before I become destitute I would sell or rent my house and move to where ever a job was, but only if absolutely no other options were available since I had hoped to settle down and stop relocating.

I have thought about the employer situation and if I could just move to a different employer in the same field but, I really don't like that type of work. I would much rather be happy doing something that I like or that interests me even if it does pay less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search