Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 08:09 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,791,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrylimeade View Post
The advice I've seen is to limit your resume to your jobs in the last 10-15 years, and don't put giveaways like graduation dates on the resume. Experience is an asset, but there are other ways to indicate that, like senior job titles, an obvious high level of responsibility in your descriptions of the jobs, etc. For a while I used a tagline indicating "10+ years of experience in...." -- I could actually claim fifteen years or more but I'd rather not make myself look older. (I'm mid-40s.)
Try not to get caught up in age discrimination because someone at my job was just hired who is in her 50's so it's not a big deal to put years of experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 10:15 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,440,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
What you can try doing is applying to jobs in the evening so that your resume will stand out more because of not being included with other emails during business hours. That used to be one of my job search strategies because I felt that it had a better chance of being read since it was arriving at a slow time of the day.
I don't understand why you continue to repeat this fallacy when many professionals with years of hiring experience have explained to you many times on many different threads that it's simply not true. You may have "felt" that this strategy helped your application stand out but can rest assured that this wasn't the case at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Try not to get caught up in age discrimination because someone at my job was just hired who is in her 50's so it's not a big deal to put years of experience.
And again, because you have seen ONE person over 50 get a job does not mean that everyone over 50 finds it easy to get a job and that therefore age discrimination doesn't exist That's akin to saying that someone got hit and killed by a bus at the corner of Broadway and Main Street so everyone at that intersection will therefore be hit.

The one sensible thing you said was, "There is no set answer ..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search