Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 01:56 PM

16 posts, read 40,262 times

Advertisements

Why don't recruiters leave messages when they call you? I always try to pick up the phone but it seems if I ever miss a call they don't leave a message for whatever reason. Do you call back and try to hunt down who called you? Am I a serious candidate if they don't leave a message?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 05:32 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,291 times
I wouldn't say that you aren't a serious candidate if they don't leave a message, but I don't know if I'd want to bother with a recruiter who didn't leave one either.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:38 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior2 View Post
Why don't recruiters leave messages when they call you? I always try to pick up the phone but it seems if I ever miss a call they don't leave a message for whatever reason. Do you call back and try to hunt down who called you? Am I a serious candidate if they don't leave a message?
Because they are trying to fill positions so whoever is not available they go on to the next qualified applicant to get the interview scheduled. The little time I was involved in recruiting I had a list of qualified applicants and whoever I was able to get in touch with was the person scheduled for the interview.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:40 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
It could be because they know they're likely going to be on the phone if you try and call them back so they don't leave a message asking you to do so. if they're really interested, they'll call you back. They're not just going to eliminate you based on one attempt to contact you.

You could try and call them, but don't leave a message unless you're available to answer the phone throughout the day.

Good luck to you.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:59 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
recruiters are probably a millennial? seems like they forgot how to/never learned to use voicemail but rather text and texting hasn't become common place in HR yet...

I usually leave a message on the first call, then call back in a hour or so, second time I don't usually leave a message

Old 05-04-2015, 09:26 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
texting hasn't become common place in HR yet...
If electronic slang can somehow put the "human" back in human resources, I'm all for it. Can't get any worse!

Old 05-04-2015, 09:30 PM

When was "human resources" ever about the "human"? Didn't HR originally form to treat humans as a resource and manage them like numbers on a paper?

Old 05-04-2015, 09:30 PM

92 posts, read 116,151 times
Interesting. I have worked with 2 recruiters in the past few months, both worked directly for the company I applied with. So, they weren't headhunters or anything like that. Both of the recruiters would leave me voicemails if I missed their phone call. Then again, both were fully aware that I am a full time student and by them calling me during the day, there's a 50/50 chance I won't answer because I am in a class.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:40 PM

it doesn't matter if you were a student or not, anyone has a chance of not answering the phone... I don't pick up when I drive, or when I am taking a shower, etc. I don't even keep it in my room when I sleep.

Voicemail is the magic box that people leave messages in when they want a return call

Old 05-04-2015, 10:26 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
it doesn't matter if you were a student or not, anyone has a chance of not answering the phone... I don't pick up when I drive, or when I am taking a shower, etc. I don't even keep it in my room when I sleep.

Voicemail is the magic box that people leave messages in when they want a return call

I would purposely not answer the phone when a recruiter called because I wanted voicemail greeting to make the first impression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search