Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 07:51 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,640 times

Advertisements

I've been noticing this question pop up more and more on interviews. The question is, "If we were to contact your previous supervisors, what do you think they would say about you?" What I am going to say? That I showed up late every day, took three hour lunch breaks, and could have improved my accuracy if I didn't come into work stoned everyday. Your thoughts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 07:58 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,105 times
Iv had the question before, I usually answer the same way "they would say I showed up on time, was dependable, organized and completed tasks as assigned" iv never left a job in bad terms, so it would be fairly accurate. Not sure why they ask it, not sure why many interview questions are ask since most are repetitive or seem pointless. It's certainly not the hardest question though they ask.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:07 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Many HR and hiring manager interviewers don't have sufficient skills to spot a qualified candidate; therefore, they rely on the Standard 101 Interview Questions.

From my years of supporting an HR staff, what is discussed behind the scenes about a candidate is usually how 'social' the individual is; and whether or not the candidate has a positive and 'team oriented' attitude.

As one hiring manager said, "I could care less about skills; just send me people who have a positive attitude and I'll teach them all I want them to know."

Old 05-05-2015, 08:28 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I always say something like "Veuve is a great worker that knows how to be a leader and a team player. She is someone that strives for the best. An example of something she did that really impressed me......"

It's basically a question to promote yourself, your skills etc without saying "HEY LOOK AT ME".

But yes, stupid because you could say anything.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:37 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
What I am going to say? That I showed up late every day, took three hour lunch breaks, and could have improved my accuracy if I didn't come into work stoned everyday. Your thoughts...
LOL, I know right? Seems like a modern day version of "what are your strengths?"

Old 05-05-2015, 08:47 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
It's a bad question that doesn't tell anyone anything. Just give them what they want to hear.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:52 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
Yep, always just give them what they want to hear. All their dumb questions are an effort to show whether you are smart, articulate, competent, able to do the job.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Another question designed to provide the employer with a way to eliminate you for lies at the interview. When/if they actually contact a previous supervisor and get something different, you are busted. Also, it's one of those questions that allows a well prepared, experienced interviewer to read your body language and determine whether you are making things up, and if you are just giving what you think is an expected answer rather than using it as an opportunity to sell yourself.
If I were to ask that question (I don't) I would not be looking for punctuality, accuracy, or being a team player. I would be looking for innovation, problem solving skills, and examples of having caught problems/errors or come up with improved processes to make or save the company money.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:10 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,055 times
They ask because enough people give answers such as: "I don't really know what they would say, I wasn't a very high profile member of the team" or "Probqbly the usual, that they liked me and Indid my work", or "I would prefe you didn't call them".

Old 05-05-2015, 11:26 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
I've been noticing this question pop up more and more on interviews. The question is, "If we were to contact your previous supervisors, what do you think they would say about you?" What I am going to say? That I showed up late every day, took three hour lunch breaks, and could have improved my accuracy if I didn't come into work stoned everyday. Your thoughts...
"They would say I am a go-getter, that I always offer to help out others when I am done with my tasks..." add more good points as needed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search