Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2015, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 892 times

Advertisements

I've applied to about two hundred job and get only a few replies back.Mostly from mlm and scam jobs. (contact information cut out).Is really that hard just to a get p/t min wage job..
should I shorten it? Help please?

Personal Statement
Honest,sincere, and conscientious individual.Organized worker with strong time management skills. Detail-oriented and able to learn new tasks quickly and effectively.
Reliable and friendly who quickly learns and masters new concepts and skills. Passionate about helping customers and creating a satisfying proficient experience.Dedicated to the job and being goal oriented,are my strong points
Looking to develop a successful career with an organization seeking a team player committed to supporting key objectives.

Achievements
Earned highest marks for customer satisfaction.
Played a key role in maximizing revenue potential expanding customer base surpassing revenue objectives and improving customer retention levels.
Conceptualized and designed marketing programs that optimized sale in a saturated retail market place.
Supervised and coached employee to perform at optimal levels.

Skills
Product Knowledge, Customer- and service-oriented, Quality Focus, Customer Service,organizational skills, Client Relationships, Seasoned in conflict resolution, Reporting Skills,Attention to Detail,
Territory Management, Competitive Analysis,Job Knowledge,Strong work ethic,Excellent guest service skills ,Uses proper sanitation practices,Cash handling accuracy,,Quick learner,fun , Always smiling and energetic

Work Experience

Cashier and Customer Service - (Nov 2013 -April 2015)
Quick n Split , 139 S Market St, Inglewood, CA 90301-4614
⦁ Handled customers effectively by identifying needs, quickly gaining trust, approaching complex situations and resolving problems to maximize efficiency.
⦁ Educated customers on product and service offerings.
⦁ Greeted all customers, recorded correct orders and performed cashiering duties
⦁ Consistently received positive feedback from supervisor and created repeat business by developing long-term relationships with co-workers and customers.
⦁ Handled complaints and maintained a positive experience for everyone.
⦁ Answered questions and helped customers find items.
⦁ Handled high volume sales with cash, credit and gift card transactions, balancing cash draw at end of shift with 100% accuracy rate.
⦁ Maintained full knowledge of menu items and made recommendations.
⦁ Greeted customers upon entrance and handled all cash and credit transactions.
⦁ Managed morning rush of customers daily with efficient, levelheaded customer service.
Assistant Cook Nov 2013-April 2015
⦁ Ordered and distributed supplies while adhering to a fixed budget.
⦁ Measured, mixed and prepped raw materials according to company specifications and recipes. Measured, mixed and prepped raw materials according to company specifications and recipes.
⦁ Monitored cooking completion times for efficient use of ovens and other equipment.
⦁ Maintained exceptional standards of customer service during high-volume, fast-paced operations.
⦁ Baked fresh goods

Merchandiser - (Mar 2012 -Sep 2013)
Krazy Rose , 4001 Wilshire Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90010 Windsor Square
⦁ Cleaned and organized shop, including the checkout desk and displays.
⦁ Determines schedule by reviewing priorities with supervisor; discussing special instruction, product promotions, new products ,and price changes.
⦁ Prolongs customer relationships by visiting with store managers, department managers, and employees; answering their questions; responding to special requests; describing product features.
⦁ Organized racks and shelves to maintain the visual appeal.
⦁ Gathered and emptied trash and recycling bins.
⦁ Maintains the store merchandise arrangement by removing damaged or expired products; tidying store shelves; providing optimum display of goods.
⦁ Diligently cleaned the shop, including sweeping and mopping.
⦁ Completes call report by observing display and pricing of competitors' products.
⦁ Removed finger marks and smudges from vertical surfaces, including doors, frames and glass partitions.
⦁ Helps field sales representatives with special promotions by setting-up displays; checking daily on special promotions; observing customer reaction to special promotions;forwarding observations to management; removing products at the end of sale period.
⦁ Provides information by reporting growth,expansion,or closing of supermarkets in assigned territory.
⦁ Sustains quality results by reporting growth, expansion, or closing of shops in assigned territory.
⦁ Keeps quality results by following and enforcing standards.
⦁ Updates job knowledge by participating in professional organizations.
⦁ Enhances merchandising and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different request; exploring opportunities to value to job accomplishments.
⦁ Attractively created floral arrangements

Education
June 2014 Home School Hawthorne,CA
High School Diploma
2017 West LA College Culver City, CA
Associate of Arts
Currently a Student at West LA College

Extra-Curricular Activities
SpcaLA Volunteer
Volunteer Playground Supervisor
Teachers Helper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 12:15 PM

306 posts, read 517,362 times
For part-time/retail type jobs you don't really need an amazing resume. What kind of job are you specifically looking at?

You also have a lot of sentences in that do not have spaces after commas and periods. Also add periods at the end of each of your job responsibilities, because most of them have it, but some don't. Punctuation and consistency is very important on a resume.

I would remove the Extra-Curricular Activities, and try to condense your resume to one page. Remove any of the duties that really aren't that important.

Does the college you went to have a Career Center that can review your resume? There are a lot of things I would recommend changing, but I honestly don't even know where to begin. I would definitely find out if your school has a Career Center.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:10 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Take off your personal statement, achievements and skills at the top of your resume. That is way too much information at the top of your resume. You don't need your extra curricular activities at the bottom. Lots of good tips by doing a bit of research:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...reate+a+resume

Old 05-05-2015, 02:28 PM
J24

448 posts, read 863,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
You also have a lot of sentences in that do not have spaces after commas and periods. Also add periods at the end of each of your job responsibilities, because most of them have it, but some don't. Punctuation and consistency is very important on a resume.
This.

If I was a recruiter, I would throw your resume in the trash before finishing the first sentence. Grammar, punctuation, and spelling are so important.

Aside from that, I would scale down your "Work experience" bullet points a bit. You don't need to list literally every single thing you did at that job. You should customize your resume to include points that will relate to the job you're applying for.

For example, if you're applying for a customer service job, list the duties that you had that relate to customer service. Telling them that you baked fresh goods is going to do you no good for customer service job.

Take out stuff like this, unless you're applying to be a window washer:
Quote:
⦁ Removed finger marks and smudges from vertical surfaces, including doors, frames and glass partitions.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:15 PM

92 posts, read 116,151 times
What type of positions are you looking for exactly? Just a retail worker type of job?

I would suggest taking out your "Personal statement", for sure. Perhaps even your extra-curricular activities could be eliminated. You definitely need to proofread your resume. If it has any spelling or grammatical errors, you likely won't hear anything back. I found numerous mistakes. I'm not sure if you copy and pasted this or typed it up a second time (and unintentionally made errors).

You also should consider consolidating or eliminating some of your bullet points under job experience. I normally like to keep it between 2-4 bullet points for each. You also need to watch your tenses in your bulleted points. Jobs that happened previously should use past tense, where a current job would use the present tense.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:46 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
A lot of the things you list don't have any actual details.
Quote:
Achievements
Earned highest marks for customer satisfaction. Okay... what company, for doing what? Handing out cookies at the daycare? ETC...
Played a key role in maximizing revenue potential expanding customer base surpassing revenue objectives and improving customer retention levels. Again, details would be nice
Conceptualized and designed marketing programs that optimized sale in a saturated retail market place.
Supervised and coached employee to perform at optimal levels. Coached in what? IE: Trained employees in ____ skill.
some of the work experience doesn't need to be said since the job implies that. Kind of like how a racecar driver doesn't need to put down "drives a car" as a skill. Like wise as a cashier you are expected to "performed cashiering duties" and to "answered questions and helped customers find items."

As a Merchandiser, you do not need to "gathered and emptied trash and recycling bins.'" Just like you don't "have to use the restroom". It doesn't show your actual skills as a merchandiser. List only the actual skills involved for that job, and cut out the "extra" things like "knowing how to breath"

For a college student, I'd say your work experience is on par with anyone else that is working and going to school. You just don't present it very well on a professional resume. And actually, I don't really think you are writing a resume, it looks more like a CV. CV vs. Resume: The Difference and When to Use Which, I tend to prefer CV myself and it's what I use. I keep it updated and it is my "work history" that I can give to any employer at any time for my job. It doesn't need to be tweaked because it isn't subjected to any employer but to me alone. A resume would read more like how your experiences as a cashier and merchandiser would aid you in performing the job you are applying to, resumes are tailored to the job position. A CV would list the skills you have from the past jobs and then if the skills match what they want, they will ask for you. The subtle difference might not be that important these days, but you should know what you are writing.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:50 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Take off your personal statement, achievements and skills at the top of your resume. That is way too much information at the top of your resume.
^^This. Use that part in your customized cover letter to each employer, not in your resume. The cover letter is where you want to sell yourself on 'why' you should get the job and 'why' you are the best candidate.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:09 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uchihaprincess View Post
I've applied to about two hundred job and get only a few replies back.Mostly from mlm and scam jobs. (contact information cut out).Is really that hard just to a get p/t min wage job..
should I shorten it? Help please?

Personal Statement
Honest,sincere, and conscientious individual.Organized worker with strong time management skills. Detail-oriented and able to learn new tasks quickly and effectively.
Reliable and friendly who quickly learns and masters new concepts and skills. Passionate about helping customers and creating a satisfying proficient experience.Dedicated to the job and being goal oriented,are my strong points
Looking to develop a successful career with an organization seeking a team player committed to supporting key objectives.

Achievements
Earned highest marks for customer satisfaction.
Played a key role in maximizing revenue potential expanding customer base surpassing revenue objectives and improving customer retention levels.
Supervised and coached employee to perform at optimal levels.

Skills
Product Knowledge, Customer- and service-oriented, Quality Focus, Customer Service,organizational skills, Client Relationships, Seasoned in conflict resolution, Reporting Skills,Attention to Detail,
Territory Management, Competitive Analysis,Job Knowledge,Strong work ethic,Excellent guest service skills ,Uses proper sanitation practices,Cash handling accuracy,,Quick learner,fun , Always smiling and energetic

Work Experience

Cashier and Customer Service - (Nov 2013 -April 2015)
Quick n Split , 139 S Market St, Inglewood, CA 90301-4614
⦁ Handled customers effectively by identifying needs, quickly gaining trust, approaching complex situations and resolving problems to maximize efficiency.
⦁ Educated customers on product and service offerings.
⦁ Greeted all customers, recorded correct orders and performed cashiering duties
⦁ Consistently received positive feedback from supervisor and created repeat business by developing long-term relationships with co-workers and customers.
⦁ Handled complaints and maintained a positive experience for everyone.
⦁ Answered questions and helped customers find items.
⦁ Handled high volume sales with cash, credit and gift card transactions, balancing cash draw at end of shift with 100% accuracy rate.
⦁ Maintained full knowledge of menu items and made recommendations.
⦁ Greeted customers upon entrance and handled all cash and credit transactions.
⦁ Managed morning rush of customers daily with efficient, levelheaded customer service.
Assistant Cook Nov 2013-April 2015
⦁ Ordered and distributed supplies while adhering to a fixed budget.
⦁ Measured, mixed and prepped raw materials according to company specifications and recipes. Measured, mixed and prepped raw materials according to company specifications and recipes.
⦁ Monitored cooking completion times for efficient use of ovens and other equipment.
⦁ Maintained exceptional standards of customer service during high-volume, fast-paced operations.
⦁ Baked fresh goods

Merchandiser - (Mar 2012 -Sep 2013)
Krazy Rose , 4001 Wilshire Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90010 Windsor Square
⦁ Cleaned and organized shop, including the checkout desk and displays.
⦁ Determines schedule by reviewing priorities with supervisor; discussing special instruction, product promotions, new products ,and price changes.
⦁ Prolongs customer relationships by visiting with store managers, department managers, and employees; answering their questions; responding to special requests; describing product features.
⦁ Organized racks and shelves to maintain the visual appeal.
⦁ Gathered and emptied trash and recycling bins.
⦁ Maintains the store merchandise arrangement by removing damaged or expired products; tidying store shelves; providing optimum display of goods.
⦁ Diligently cleaned the shop, including sweeping and mopping.
⦁ Completes call report by observing display and pricing of competitors' products.
⦁ Helps field sales representatives with special promotions by setting-up displays; checking daily on special promotions; observing customer reaction to special promotions;forwarding observations to management; removing products at the end of sale period.
⦁ Provides information by reporting growth,expansion,or closing of supermarkets in assigned territory.
⦁ Sustains quality results by reporting growth, expansion, or closing of shops in assigned territory.
⦁ Keeps quality results by following and enforcing standards.
⦁ Updates job knowledge by participating in professional organizations.
⦁ Enhances merchandising and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different request; exploring opportunities to value to job accomplishments.
⦁ Attractively created floral arrangements

Education
June 2014 Home School Hawthorne,CA
High School Diploma
2017 West LA College Culver City, CA
Associate of Arts
Currently a Student at West LA College

Extra-Curricular Activities
SpcaLA Volunteer
Volunteer Playground Supervisor
Teachers Helper

You can eliminate the personal statement section and combine your skills and achievements to create a Summary of Qualifications section at the top of the resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search