Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 05:20 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,248 times

Advertisements

Would anybody care to share some recent job interview questions?

I have had the strength and weakness question.

Not sure how to answer them though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 10:12 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
Would anybody care to share some recent job interview questions?

I have had the strength and weakness question.

Not sure how to answer them though.

The weakness question: pick something that is really a strength but pretend it's a weakness and then explain how improving that so called weakness will help you succeed in the position you are hoping to get.

The strength question: talk about what you learned and the skills you gained from your current or previous job and explain how that will help you succeed in the position you are hoping to get.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:26 AM

366 posts, read 410,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
The weakness question: pick something that is really a strength but pretend it's a weakness and then explain how improving that so called weakness will help you succeed in the position you are hoping to get.

The strength question: talk about what you learned and the skills you gained from your current or previous job and explain how that will help you succeed in the position you are hoping to get.
I do the hiring in my department and I get sick of hearing how someone's attention to detail or overzealousness for work are a weakness. That's not to say that I want to hear how you call in sick to jerk off all day or steal office supplies, but something a little original and real would be nice.

When I applied for my current position I went with the truth as my weakness- I had no management experience. It was painfully obvious on my resume so I figured I may as well address it directly. I went on to talk about what resources I could draw on and blah blah blah about why they should hire me anyway and it worked.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:25 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpa View Post
I do the hiring in my department and I get sick of hearing how someone's attention to detail or overzealousness for work are a weakness. That's not to say that I want to hear how you call in sick to jerk off all day or steal office supplies, but something a little original and real would be nice.

When I applied for my current position I went with the truth as my weakness- I had no management experience. It was painfully obvious on my resume so I figured I may as well address it directly. I went on to talk about what resources I could draw on and blah blah blah about why they should hire me anyway and it worked.
Edited since I read incorrectly. Great example.

Some questions I get

Tell me a time that you failed and what you learned.
Tell me a time you did something outside the box
Have you ever disagreed with your boss and how you dealt with it

Today I had an interview and really wasn't asked any questions, it was more of a conversation.

Last edited by veuvegirl; 05-14-2015 at 11:25 AM..

Old 05-14-2015, 11:01 AM

279 posts, read 544,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
The highlighted would be a red flag if I was hiring. Truth is important in a job!! This was a question I received at one interview that sort of threw me, and I had to answer when I caught someone in a lie, how I dealt with i.

Some questions I get

Tell me a time that you failed and what you learned.
Tell me a time you did something outside the box
Have you ever disagreed with your boss and how you dealt with it

Today I had an interview and really wasn't asked any questions, it was more of a conversation.
You need to read what was posted again. Telling the truth is not the weakness.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower--girl View Post
You need to read what was posted again. Telling the truth is not the weakness.
Yes I do thanks!

Old 05-14-2015, 01:50 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times
A question I was asked recently: "Why do you want to leave your current employer?"

Of course I don't tell them the real reason why, but I say that I'm very ambitious and want to use my education and experience for promotional opportunities in a new work environment. At the present, there is no growth potential at all. And that is the honest truth w/o going into all the sad drama that also occurs here.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:21 PM

110 posts, read 123,262 times
What would you say is your important thing you have done in your career to date?

When you start a new job, how do you get comfortable in a new environment and with new
colleagues?

5 years into a job, many people begin to feel burned out. What do you expect from this position in 5 years?

Have you ever lead a team that was responsible for the implementation of a new process for doing things at a previous employer?

Old 05-14-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
A question I was asked recently: "Why do you want to leave your current employer?"

Of course I don't tell them the real reason why, but I say that I'm very ambitious and want to use my education and experience for promotional opportunities in a new work environment. At the present, there is no growth potential at all. And that is the honest truth w/o going into all the sad drama that also occurs here.
Yes, that is always asked.

I was also asked today about 'job hopping'. I had a couple of short stints and she wanted to know why.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:53 PM

126 posts, read 206,332 times
main questions

1. tell me about your self
2.what are your strengths and weaknesses
3. what is your greatest failure/weakness
4.what can you do for the company
5. How are you at organizing and prioritizing?
6.what do you know about the company
7. why do you want to work for us
8. Why are you unique?
9. If you could meet any person, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
10. Do you have any questions for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search