Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 08:23 AM

416 posts, read 395,558 times

Advertisements

I currently have a career in Marketing. I started my career on the agency side, planning and buying media for clients. I currently work in the healthcare industry, marketing for providers.

Lately I have had the urge to make a career change. Sales has always been on my mind, and people have always told me I'd be good at sales, but the thought of not having a set amount of income I can rely on scares me. I've always thought "What if I have to sell a vacuum cleaner?!"

A couple weeks ago, a friend of mine asked me if I'd be interested in a job as a Patient Consultant with a local med spa. She was pretty close with the owners and has been impressed with the services she received, and when they mentioned the position to her, she immediately thought of me. She didn't know many details of the job, but my role would be base + commission and I would make commission off of any appointments I made. I would also be given the freedom to market the practice to increase my appointments, such as visiting OB/GYN and Primary Care offices and offering them deals. She also said that he mentioned that this person could make $65k COMFORTABLY (basically without really trying), but had the potential to make around $80k.

Since sales is something I want to explore, and the fact that I don't have any experience to be considered for pharma sales (or some other sales position where the commission potential is much higher), I figured it would be a good stepping stone to gain experience and eventually move into another industry of sales that is more lucrative.

With that said - I have an interview on Friday.

What kind of questions do I need to ask? Base salary? Commission percentage?

Is it appropriate to ask how an appointment is designated as mine? Do I get commission off of an appointment made during my working hours, or do they have to specifically say my name for it to count?

Also, with my marketing background, is it appropriate for me to ask her what limits I have for marketing the practice? My experience with media buying/planning isn't exactly sales, but I have generated MANY leads for my clients and would want to know if I have the ability to use social media and other marketing outlets to increase the business I bring in.

Any advice would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 10:31 AM

928 posts, read 1,100,947 times
Don't go into talking about money. That's a no no. Start by asking what territory you will have, who can you sell to, what the average sale is and how long it takes to close one. What results is their best sales rep showing. Ask if there have been others in this position or are you the first, if there have been others why did they leave, etc.

A good way of finding out how mug by make is to ask what does their best selling rep earn.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:05 PM

93 posts, read 254,640 times
Sales quota you are expected to meet every month. Make sure it's realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search