Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 03:39 PM

92 posts, read 115,622 times

Advertisements

Is it common for a company to pay for travel expenses that may be incurred to attend an interview with them? If they do offer to pay any travel expenses you may incur are you more likely to be chosen for the position you are interviewing for or no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 03:55 PM

52 posts, read 49,376 times
Not really. I personally haven't ever heard of it. Most companies don't want to spend their money just to consider a candidate. The only times they'll spend money on you is when they are going to hire you for sure. I'm sure there are some rare cases where companies have done this for applicants, but I do not think it's common. When interviewing for jobs, you are expected to make an investment, take a risk, in hopes for a reward (getting the position).

Old 05-21-2015, 04:01 PM

306 posts, read 430,053 times
Like Savannah said, if they're investing you, I'd expect that it's already been decided that you're getting the job. I'd keep that in mind. Nothing is set in stone until you're handed the offer though.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:29 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,648,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LampTrill View Post
Is it common for a company to pay for travel expenses that may be incurred to attend an interview with them? If they do offer to pay any travel expenses you may incur are you more likely to be chosen for the position you are interviewing for or no?
It depends. If a company located hundreds of miles from me wants to talk with me face to face, they should fly my and pay for my meals etc. And they did it few times. If it's 20-30 miles - they don't pay.
We are talking here about low six figures positions.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:38 PM

6,129 posts, read 7,950,081 times
It depends.

If a company is interested in a candidate who will require relocation, it's not unusual that they will pay travel expenses for an in person interview. I've had this happen twice.

On the other hand, if a candidate has reached out to a potential out-of-state employer that won't pay relo expenses, then it's unlikely they will pay for interview expenses.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:45 PM

13,011 posts, read 12,978,249 times
I have almost always had my out of state interview expenses covered, but my level and industry mandates national searches.

As an employer, we pay interview expenses for any distant candidate applying for director or higher positions.

Whether or not expenses get paid has no impact on whether you will get the job or not. When I have had expenses paid, my assumption is that my competitors have been treated similarly. Sometimes I got the job, other times I did not.

Similarly, when we pay interview expenses, we do it for all candidates, not just our preferred candidate. In fact, before a face to face interview, we don't really have a preferred candidate.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:19 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,485,800 times
they paid for my lunch when they had it during noon and we all ate and interviewed...

but no, they didn't pay for my gas...

Old 05-21-2015, 06:30 PM

29,448 posts, read 22,387,576 times
It depends of course on different situations.

If it's far away and a company shows enough interest in me and wants to interview me, I expect them to foot the bill or reimburse me.

And of course that's no guarantee I'd get the job.

I mentioned before about a job I interviewed for on the East Coast (Maryland). The reason why I got the job was because a former supervisor contacted me about an opening at his place, and told me to put in my resume. I soon got both a phone screen as well as an in person interview. They paid for my plane ticket from the Bay Area to Maryland and back. I thought I would have gotten an offer, because usually solid references in my industry are golden, especially if it's from someone that is well liked in that organization. Weeks passed and I heard back nothing, and never did hear anything. To this day I still wonder why I didn't get any response.

Not long ago I also had an interview at a company upstate about 400 miles away. I paid for the hotel and flight, but they reimbursed me afterwards. They liked me and were in the process of moving ahead with checking my references and all, but I told them I was no longer interested.

So yes if it's far away they should pay or you should get reimbursed. But no, that's no guarantee at all they will hire you.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,206 posts, read 80,369,332 times
Sometimes for Managing Director, CEO or highly specialized tech positions, rarely for anything paying under about $200k. Also, rare for someone that applies for a job in the usual manner, for those positions we use a national recruiting firm and they are invited to apply.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:35 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,665,066 times
As a side note: In case you weren't aware, If they don't end up paying for it there are certain situations where you can deduct a portion of any/all job search related expenses IF, and only IF:

* you are searching for a job in the your same field
* you are not a recent grad or looking for your first job because it has to be going from one job to another in your same field.
* and there can not be a "substantial break" from you last job to when you start your job search in your same field.

You can't automatically subtract your job-hunting costs from your income -- just those that, when added to all your miscellaneous deductions, come to more than 2 percent of your adjusted gross income.

For more information about job search expenses, see IRS Publication 529, Miscellaneous Deductions.
Job Search Expenses Can be Tax Deductible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search