Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2015, 06:52 PM

3 posts, read 32,904 times

Advertisements

So, I have been having a rough time getting a job, but I also admit I am being quite picky. I finally got a call for a phone interview last Wednesday. It was for a position I applied for a couple months ago. We had a great phone interview and asked me if I could come in the next day for a face to face. I went to the interview and he greeted me and we shook hands. Then, he brought me to a meeting room.

This is where the interview got kind of weird. First thing he told me was some of the office employees can be difficult depending on the day. I told him it was okay. I have always worked quite stressful jobs so I am pretty easygoing when it comes to ornery employees (I didn't say that to him but I did say I have no issues with that as I am there to do my job). This really didn't bother me that much and he just smiled off the subject. The only question he asked me was if I had any questions for him. I really didn't because we went over everything on the phone, so I said I believe I know what you need for the position from what we talked about, and proceeded to tell him I researched the product I would be field training.

From there, we began chit chatting about the product. He seemed very tired to me. He really didn't seem in the mood to interview anyone that day. I don't think it was me, he just seemed overwhelmed. He then asked nothing at all about past employment, but did bring up the points as to why he saw me a good fit.

It wasn't a long interview and, of course at the end, I got the "we are interviewing others" speech. But, what is different about this position is that he is creating a new position and it will be a team of people so there will be multiple jobs to be filled. He told me I will hear from him in a couple weeks.

My question is, in the field I'm in, which requires privacy and security on a medical professional level, it just seemed so generic. It is a small company and even with this weird interview, I'm still very interested in the job. What I want to know is how others would feel they had faired if they were the one being interviewed? I'm just so used to being drilled with questions in the past! I know I shouldn't focus on this one job and I am pursuing other positions, but I love what this job has to offer and the challenge of it.

How would you feel about your chances? I did send a thank you email to him after, should I do anything else in the future considering I was the first person he interviewed and I don't want to get lost in the shuffle. Any opinions, thoughts etc would be great for this job and future interviews. Thanks!

Last edited by rlgfla; 05-21-2015 at 07:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 07:37 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I just had a very similar interview experience. They didn't ask abut my experience, which I thought odd. I was asked back for s second one. That said, you really never know. I am in limbo right now as well, looking for a magic eight ball!

I would say when they say we are interviewing other candidates is never a good sign. However you won't know until you know!

Old 05-21-2015, 10:09 PM

3 posts, read 32,904 times
Most of the time, I would agree although I know this is a brand new position for the company and they are creating a team of advocates so he does have to finish interviewing. I believe he said there were four people he needs to hire and he is still finishing up the training materials so it is in its early stages. I hope for the best for you! I do have a couple other leads on jobs so I am not stressed, just like to get some other points of view on how to deal with interviews that are like this one. I honestly think he has never interviewed before. He seemed inexperienced but it caught me off guard. Next time if I encounter an interviewer like this, I will hopefully have more experience on how to handle it.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search