Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2015, 04:17 AM

12 posts, read 10,732 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been interviewing for past 2 months now. So far, I had about 6-7 phone interviews and 2 in-person interviews with different companies. The last interview I did I felt like I aced it, it was very long (2hours) and answered all the questions and didn't show any signs of weakness. Smiled and had good laugh and it felt like a conversation rather than interview.

I do get a lot of people tell me I don't have the best first impression because I'm quiet but I speak my mind. I try to becareful on interviews because I can come off as arrogant or cocky. I felt like my last interview I didn't get it because either 1. I came off too cocky or 2. there was a better candidate.

How do you prepare and perform on interviews?

I usually prepare much as I can on the company and position, once the interview starts, I tried to be relaxed and be myself but keep it professional and humble at the same time and make it seem like a conversation than straight interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 07:35 AM

291 posts, read 390,592 times
Regarding the "I speak my mind" part, get rid of it. A job interview is not the place to share your strong opinions. Neither is the workplace. I was the same way when I was younger, trust me. When you are at work, it is someone else's show. You have to respect that.

Otherwise...

Tip #1 - Prepare
Tip #2 - Prepare
Tip #3 - Prepare

Practice interviewing with sample questions every day. Have friends or family ask you them as well and ask for feedback.

Be prepared to explain and detail every line on your resume. Practice with those questions too.

Know the company inside and out. Upon receiving an interview date, print out the job announcement and be prepared to explain how you will excel in every area listed on the paper.

Make a list of topics you want to cover during the interview, areas that would enhance your chances.

Dress the part. Never (for most jobs) anything less than a suit or equivalent for females.

Shake hands, smile and always take advantage of an offer to make a closing statement. Here is where you show your passion for the position.

Good luck.

-Buz

Old 05-24-2015, 07:47 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,105 times
I am also naturally a more quiet person, so I must push myself a bit more in interviews. I think about possible questions they may ask and have an idea of answers, I think of questions that I want to ask pertaining to the job. I decide what to wear, which is always dress pants and blouse. During them, I probably look nervous but try not to let it show. I engage all I can, keep eye contact, smile and try to appear energetic and excited about the possible job. Try to answer questions quickly without long pauses.

interviews are tough no matter the job, Its a socially awkward situation to me and I do what I can to not appear nervous or to quiet.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:50 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zizou312 View Post
Hi, I've been interviewing for past 2 months now. So far, I had about 6-7 phone interviews and 2 in-person interviews with different companies. The last interview I did I felt like I aced it, it was very long (2hours) and answered all the questions and didn't show any signs of weakness. Smiled and had good laugh and it felt like a conversation rather than interview.

I do get a lot of people tell me I don't have the best first impression because I'm quiet but I speak my mind. I try to becareful on interviews because I can come off as arrogant or cocky. I felt like my last interview I didn't get it because either 1. I came off too cocky or 2. there was a better candidate.

How do you prepare and perform on interviews?

I usually prepare much as I can on the company and position, once the interview starts, I tried to be relaxed and be myself but keep it professional and humble at the same time and make it seem like a conversation than straight interview.

The interviews that I was able to ace in the past was because all of the things below.

1. Having small talk before the interview starts to develop some rapport

2. Looking very excited to be in the presence of the interviewer

3. Letting the interviewer do most of the talking by quickly answering their questions

4. Make the interview feel like a conversation about your background

5. Ask a lot of questions about the position and the company when it's your turn to ask questions

Old 05-24-2015, 07:10 PM

29,508 posts, read 22,620,513 times
I recently had a 4 hour interview, and thought I did good.

Most of the questions were more oriented towards non technical things such as my style, interactions with co-workers in past ("tell me a time you had an issue with a co-worker, and how you dealt with it").

My resume was detailed enough in all the technical aspects that met the job requirements, so it was more about personality fit, attitude, etc.

I had a list of questions to ask everyone. Nothing looks worse than when an interviewer asks, do you have any questions, and then not having a good list of questions to ask. And I'm not talking about asking how many days vacation they have, if you catch my drift.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:21 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
Be 20 and good looking. Over 50 forget it

Old 06-16-2015, 08:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have been on both sides of the interview table, and offer some suggestions based on what I find impressive, and what I find negative:

-Do not talk about anything personal such as a recent divorce, child care issues, or badmouthing a former employer.
-Do your best to maintain some eye contact with all interviewers, as much as possible, it shows sincerity.
-If you have to think about your answer, don't start mumbling and stumbling, better to pause a few seconds.
-Research the company, and in your answers, cite a few facts that demonstrate your knowledge of them. Often the difference between two equally qualified candidates is that one of them shows a real interest in working there, and is not just looking for any job.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:03 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,029 times
I don't prepare at all.Seems to serve me well as my last interview ended with a verbal job offer and written job offer the next day. Went to the interview right after work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search