Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 07:06 PM

34,848 posts, read 30,936,012 times

Advertisements

So I was one of the "top two" finalists for a position in FL. I am in the Midwest. The manager sent me an email this morning saying I was rejected because he decided to go with a local candidate. While he was frank about it, I'm sure this goes on a lot.

Have you been rejected and told it was because you aren't local?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 07:33 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,165,984 times
Head over to the FL forum and you'll see you're not alone.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:35 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,480,577 times
You don't know if he choose him because he was local... just that he choose someone that was local. Is that enough of a distinction for you? or did you just word it in a misleading way?

Old 05-26-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
You don't know if he choose him because he was local... just that he choose someone that was local. Is that enough of a distinction for you? or did you just word it in a misleading way?
The manager said I was a strong candidate but he had a local candidate who also met the need. They stated they were looking for a start date of August 1. I thought the cue there was pretty evident.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:57 PM

3,504 posts, read 7,746,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
They stated they were looking for a start date of August 1.
August 1st? That's over two months away. If I was told I have the job but you can't start for two months, I'd tell them Yes, but keep looking to see if anything better comes up. Two months is a long time to wait, especially if your unemployed.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
August 1st? That's over two months away. If I was told I have the job but you can't start for two months, I'd tell them Yes, but keep looking to see if anything better comes up. Two months is a long time to wait, especially if your unemployed.
Not unemployed and I'm gainfully employed. Merely wanting to relocate to FL. They asked for my current salary, and though I'm not getting rich, it may be more than they'd pay in FL.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:26 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,699,282 times
It was not because you are not local...

The company can choose its recruiting area, if they decided to accept candidates from out of the area, then that is what they chose to do, it is not a conspiracy or anything that they did not select you because you are not local. The best candidate just happen to be local, that is all.

The entire local/non-local thing is going out the door quickly except the low wage, unskilled jobs. Even at that, many people have been hired at low wage retail that applied from out of the area.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:12 PM

306 posts, read 429,909 times
Quote:
So I was one of the "top two" finalists for a position in FL. I am in the Midwest. The manager sent me an email this morning saying I was rejected because he decided to go with a local candidate. While he was frank about it, I'm sure this goes on a lot.

If the distance was an issue, he wouldn't have considered you. He's lying.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:20 PM

13,077 posts, read 20,754,125 times
Quote:

As an employer, if I was making a hiring decisions where a person's residency status was a factor, you never would have had the interview until and only after exhausting the local applicant pool. I suspect the "local" was a way to lessen the blow to you as you walk away thinking "hey it wasn't me, just where I lived which isn't about me" and the company got the best person for the job without having to deal with normal explanations.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:55 AM

23,992 posts, read 10,358,940 times
Can you share what kind of a position you applied for?

I have hiring managers who will look at relo candidates but prefer local especially when the position benefits from ties to the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search