Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 02:14 AM

888 posts, read 805,503 times

Advertisements

At 38 I've missed 8 days of work since I was 16. I haven't worked the whole time. I went to school yada yada. I suppose it's my own bragging. I recently got laid off from a company I'd been with a few years. Earlier this year we were told seniority would be used in any potential layoffs. A number of us with seniority in different departments were laid off. To hurt my feelings just a little more the 22 year old I worked with who'd missed 13 days this year up through May was kept. We both did the same quality work. I got laid off for higher pay I guess. I was terminated in a nice way. I could beat myself trying to figure out what I did but there's millions out of work.
My math would be 10% unemployment means 110 people are applying for 100 jobs so 10 are out of luck. Or in the U.S. 110 million people are applying for 100 million jobs. That's still 10% but 10 million people looking for work is a lot. I'm just throwing out numbers I don't know economics. I've got a bachelors I've never gotten anywhere with but I've got a lot of 2nd place finishes in interviews. Any places I should look to apply that don't advertise on the Internet or newspaper? I don't know where to look I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 05:46 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
If only it was that rosy. The unemployment fiigure is nearly meaningless. It is more like 200 million people applying for 100 million jobs when you consider only recently unemployed looking for work are considered "unemployed". There are a ton of long term unemployed that are officially classied as detached from the labor force. Many are barely eeking by on welfare or disability.

Illinois isn't the best state for employment. You might want to consider other states. If I didn't have family and a great job I'd probably pack up and leave.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:33 AM

850 posts, read 902,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If only it was that rosy. The unemployment fiigure is nearly meaningless. It is more like 200 million people applying for 100 million jobs when you consider only recently unemployed looking for work are considered "unemployed". There are a ton of long term unemployed that are officially classied as detached from the labor force. Many are barely eeking by on welfare or disability.

Illinois isn't the best state for employment. You might want to consider other states. If I didn't have family and a great job I'd probably pack up and leave.
I agree the unemployment rate is 20% actually not the 6.8% the government quotes. We actually have the lowest work participation rate ever and they claim the economy is booming right now. Whatever. Companies are doing layoffs just as much as they were doing it in 2008. These greedy corporations only care about their bottom line profit. I hope you find a great job soon as I know layoffs can be a pain!

Old 06-21-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeru View Post
At 38 I've missed 8 days of work since I was 16. I haven't worked the whole time. I went to school yada yada. I suppose it's my own bragging. I recently got laid off from a company I'd been with a few years. Earlier this year we were told seniority would be used in any potential layoffs. A number of us with seniority in different departments were laid off. To hurt my feelings just a little more the 22 year old I worked with who'd missed 13 days this year up through May was kept. We both did the same quality work. I got laid off for higher pay I guess. I was terminated in a nice way. I could beat myself trying to figure out what I did but there's millions out of work.
My math would be 10% unemployment means 110 people are applying for 100 jobs so 10 are out of luck. Or in the U.S. 110 million people are applying for 100 million jobs. That's still 10% but 10 million people looking for work is a lot. I'm just throwing out numbers I don't know economics. I've got a bachelors I've never gotten anywhere with but I've got a lot of 2nd place finishes in interviews. Any places I should look to apply that don't advertise on the Internet or newspaper? I don't know where to look I guess.
You can always look into management positions. I heard Walgreens has a great training program for managers with no management experience. My cousin just graduated with a BS in psychology and applied for an assistant manager position for Walgreens and she got hired and they trained her. I know working in retail sucks but it pays decent money.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:43 AM

29,815 posts, read 24,895,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
I know working in retail sucks but it pays decent money.
In what universe?

Old 06-21-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
In what universe?
I'm referring to their assistant manager positions not cashier positions and sale associate position. In my area they start out at 44k a year that is decent money in my area. They may start out more in Illinois since the cost of living is higher there. Most assistant managers get promoted after 2 years and start making 60k or more.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:47 PM

350 posts, read 653,575 times
Depending on your skill sets, you might want to try contracting until you can get something perm. That's what I did for a few years when perm jobs were scarce. It is hard, but it keeps food on the table, so to speak. Good luck and keep your spirits up. When not actively looking for work, keep physically and mentally active. I would take long walks and borrow books from the library.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortamor View Post
Depending on your skill sets, you might want to try contracting until you can get something perm. That's what I did for a few years when perm jobs were scarce. It is hard, but it keeps food on the table, so to speak. Good luck and keep your spirits up. When not actively looking for work, keep physically and mentally active. I would take long walks and borrow books from the library.
I am currently in a contract to hire position as I just recently graduated college back in December 2014. My profession almost forces you to work as a temp starting out. A temp to hire position is defiantly a quick way of obtaining a job so you don't get behind on your bills. The OP didn't say what industry or profession he is in but I am sure there are some temp to hire positions that matches his skill set. Just make sure your temp job is a contract to hire position with an indefinite contract length. Don't settle for 2-3 temp positions! While your working as a temp you can continue your job search for a perm position and hopefully you might get hired on full time in your contract to hire position if the job search doesn't go well.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:05 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeru View Post

Try to look for this type of career center in your local area which is a place that help the public find employment. Plus they are linked to employers who don't advertise to the public which is a bonus because you don't have to worry about a lot of competition.

IDES - IllinoisJobLink.com

Old 06-22-2015, 12:58 AM

888 posts, read 805,503 times
When I'm showing up to an interview dressed for church and the guy next to me has the holed jeans and the born to win t shirt I don't fit in with what they're looking for. What are the career centers you've seen? I'm looking at the other persons Walgreens idea. That's a place that isn't going to have a down turn in business so layoffs will be minimal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search