Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 02:08 PM

856 posts, read 1,051,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Paul you are in the wrong here. I am setting aside time to interview the company. The VP should have just as much respect for me as he expects me to have. This is a scheduled time the VP had and should have turned his phone off, period.

This is a situation ideally one should walk out, however I would imagine most people wouldn't. When I am interning it's a two way street. I am seeing if it is the right fit for me. I couldn't work for someone that couldn't step away from the phone.

Hi, Veuve G....

I certainly get that if someone is rude, we ought to take that into consideration when applying for a job.

Does someone want to work for someone who takes a ten minute call during an interview?

And the answer, regardless of the majority response, is that 'it depends'.

And I listed a long list of considerations that could impact a decision as to whether or not a person being interviewed 'should' or 'should not' work for such a person.

Jaypee says -in so many words- there are other considerations to take into account rather than letting a ten minute call be a deciding factor.

Which is what I've been saying.

Even Suburban_Guy says he would understand if Sands decided after all to take the job.

So, as I've been saying, even though taking a call can be considered 'rude', there may be other factors in the overall picture that will affect a decision to take the job, anyway.

That is why I am ho-hum about the VP 'being rude'. Because it takes more than one negative event during an interview to present a comprehensive picture as to what the 'right' choice might be.

And again, I'll say it- 'just because' he 'was rude', there are and are always going to be, additional factors in making a final decision in such circumstances.

Part of the reason for my response to the majority has been because so many of you are taking the 'outraged' posture and I find that amusing.

We are always putting up with stuff with which we don't agree but because this event gives you all an opportunity to 'strike back', you have all jumped on this with both boots.

Because you saw an opportunity to do so.

You all got to take a slice out of the VP because it feels good to do so.

But the reality, even if you don't want to admit to it publicly, is that if we put each of you in this situation and ask you ahead of time what you'd do, you would reply haughtily that "...of course I wouldn't work for such a jerk..." but,

....if you were actually on the interview and someone would whisper in your ear -while you were sitting there getting steamed- if you think you should get up and walk out, you'd say back that you will wait to see how this pans out.

In other words, contrary to what you are all saying, the majority of you would not walk out because you would want to see if something [else] shows up that would mitigate what the VP did.

Because you need a job. Because you applied to that company for a reason.

But because the majority of you here -in your armchair commando position- have nothing to lose (because none of you were in that interview), you can easily cry out, "...off with his head!..." and agree he should be wished into the cornfield.

So for each of you crying foul because the VP was 'rude', from here, with nothing at stake, you can easily reply with your high and mighty attitudes.

This is why I smile- because the same ones of you who couldn't wait to add a post, agreeing the VP was 'out of line' had nothing at stake in this conversation and are not being tested to see what would happen if you guys, each, were actually in that interview.

Even Suburban_Guy admits there is a possibility a reason may exist for why Sands might want to take the job, anyway.

And because I am so used to executing these scenarios, I already know that any one glitch does not automatically kill an interview, even if you all claim the opposite is true.

In other words, sorry to say, most all of you are hypocrites.

There is more than one of you who would 'sell out' if all or most or many of the other considerations I listed elsewhere in this thread were in your favor.

Admit.

Paul.........

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 03:40 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Paul it doesn't feel good to take a slice of the VP. Personally I don't have an issue with HR, interviewers etc. it's obnoxious and rude no matter how you slice it. We won't see eye to eye on this

Old 07-15-2015, 04:29 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Should a candidate take a call (perhaps a child is sick and the school nurse is calling) or breached some minor etiquette, should the interviewer get up and walk out or should they be more understanding and tolerant?

That's the thing. Many interviewers would not be tolerant and understanding. The second a candidate messes up, they are hung out to dry and you know it.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post

We all know that if the person being interviewed answered a call during the interview it would be an instant rejection.

Point taken and agreed.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:12 AM

5,895 posts, read 3,894,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
That's the thing. Many interviewers would not be tolerant and understanding. The second a candidate messes up, they are hung out to dry and you know it.
I tend to agree. I don't think informing the interviewer that you're expecting a call during their time slot will go over too well, to be honest. Maybe you'll find someone out there who is understanding, but I think those type are very rare.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Sure, if the call was deemed important he could have said excuse me and picked up the phone, but the conversation should have been simple - "I'm conducting an interview and will call you when I'm done".

And again I repeat metalmancpa's post as that is the way a decent person would have handled the situation. To yammer on for 10 minutes is rude no ifs, ands or buts. There is no way in hell an interviewer would have "understood" if a candidate would have done the same thing.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadhunterPaul View Post

So for each of you crying foul because the VP was 'rude', from here, with nothing at stake, you can easily reply with your high and mighty attitudes.

Oh no son. The high and mighty attitude comes from those of your ilk. Right along with hypocrisy and trying to explain away and cover up "why" being INTENTIONALLY rude to someone is no reason to not want to work for them. There is no way you would sit and listen to a candidate talk on the phone for 10 minutes while you wait during an interview. And if you say you would you are lying through your teeth. But hey lying is your forte considering the line of work you are in.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:05 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Maybe. But, again, I think people who say "get up and walk out" if an interviewer violated any interviewing etiquette is disingenuous. That's the zero-tolerance policy I'm talking about.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:13 PM

715 posts, read 1,073,310 times
I experienced a very similar situation except this was with a new manager who replaced my manager who just left the company. It was our first face-to-face one-on-one meeting. I had been in a recent car accident and sitting for a long time was very uncomfortable for me. He was aware of my auto accident as I had been off for three weeks recovering. He took not one, but two calls while we were meeting. The first one was about 5 minutes, the next one was 15 minutes at least, because I got up to walk around and relieve my damaged nerve. He didn't apologize, but seemed annoyed that I got up to walk around. I had a bad feeling about him from then on. He turned out to be the manager from hell.

OP, I don't know any more than what you have stated here, but from what you have said, I'm sure I would not be interested in this VP as my manager.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:10 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,616,067 times
This thread still going on?

Why are some of you trying to reason with or 'debate' this headhunter individual?

Headhunter previously states he is done with this thread, yet here he is posting again.

The OP was very correct in how very wrong this VP's conduct was, no ifs, ands, or buts. End of story.

This headhunter in fact seems to give rather questionable 'advice' on several threads in the employment section. Not someone that gives a favorable impression to a field that many people already have an unfavorable opinion of (job recruiters, head hunters, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search