U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2015, 09:11 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,896,442 times

Advertisements

My goal is to go into sales or retail management. But the retail stores I want to work at so far are:
-Whole Foods
-Macy's
-REI
-Trader Joe's
-Champ Sports
-Mattress Firm

I graduated from college with not alot of work experience. I have 3 months as a courtesy clerk (bagger) from Albertson's, 3 months in loss prevention at Ross, and 3 months in HR at a hospital as an intern. Currently a supervisor at Radio Shack. I don't like Radio Shack right now because I have a new manager and I got thrown into a supervisor position. I intend to be at Radio Shack for at least six months. I started in late May. I am hoping six months at Radio Shack is enough to get a entry level sales or management trainee position.

Sadly supervisors lost their pay increase, so I make $460 every two weeks basically. I'm the second biggest salesmen in our store. Ever since Sprint came in, my pay check has been smaller. Roughly $900 a month is not alot to live on for a college graduate and there is no motivation in my life bc all my friends moved out of the area. I've considered suicide or something to get out of this life.

I applied to Champ Sports, Fry's Electronics, and Wal-Mart lately. I am wondering if maybe getting a dept manager position at Wal-Mart is doable? But then I'm worried they want spanish speakers.

Any advice is greatly welcomed!

Also, my boss has a slacker employee, so I pick up alot of his work. My boss knows and has talked to him and cant really do much bc he cant find anyone to replace him. It was a struggle for my last boss to find me. The thing that bugs me the most is I was hired on as a supervisor, but my boss says Im just more of a trainee. I feel like I need to tell him if I put down supervisor on my resume will he back it up? If not, should I tell him I will start looking for other positions? If I were to leave it would jeopardize the store and look bad on him, so I have a feeling he will negotiate with me. I miss my old boss, but there is not much that can be done now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 01:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,829 posts, read 54,503,450 times
So many 3 month jobs is not looking good on a resume, but I would not wait for the 6 months at Radio Shack, it may not last that long. Around here they have all closed up, along with another 1,700 or so of them in February. Some companies do hire recent college graduates with an appropriate degree for their management training programs, so it's worth a try, but I would suggest expanding your choices. You have listed only 6 stores, and most are upscale and therefore more likely to hire extensive experience. Walmart, but also try Target, Sears, Kohl's, Staples, and any others you can find within a reasonable commute. I wonder why so many of your friends moved away, could it be for better job opportunities?

Good luck.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
So many 3 month jobs is not looking good on a resume, but I would not wait for the 6 months at Radio Shack, it may not last that long. Around here they have all closed up, along with another 1,700 or so of them in February. Some companies do hire recent college graduates with an appropriate degree for their management training programs, so it's worth a try, but I would suggest expanding your choices. You have listed only 6 stores, and most are upscale and therefore more likely to hire extensive experience. Walmart, but also try Target, Sears, Kohl's, Staples, and any others you can find within a reasonable commute. I wonder why so many of your friends moved away, could it be for better job opportunities?

Good luck.
Yeah they got better job opportunities. One did Americorps and gave up looking for a better job. How much exp do you think the more upscale retail management chains want? Like a yr? I mean what do they expect for the 3 months. They were summer jobs. I wasn't able to handle job and school and I had parents who could help me afford to not do both. After six months of radio shack I will have a combined yr of retail experience.

3 months from albertson's. 3 from ross, and six from radio shack.

i will look into kohl's and staples next. any other retailer suggestions?

Old 07-13-2015, 10:16 PM

I looked into kohl's and staples. staples wants 1-3 yrs retail exp and a BA is preferred. Kohl's I couldn't find any management trainee positions in CA, but maybe I was looking in the wrong spot.

I dropped off my resume to Fry's Electronics and Wal-Mart in southern California. I applied to Champ Sports in Riverside. I also applied to a dept manager wal-mart position in Marina. i also applied to david's tea as an assistant manager in woodland hills.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:35 PM

how long does it take to hear back from these people? also, would going into one stop's retail management training help better my odds of getting a job?

thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or