Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 06:41 AM

983 posts, read 991,504 times

Advertisements

I am trying to perfect my LinkedIn profile. I've read several articles on what to put on and what not, but some advisors contradict one another. Professional headshot picture, got that. Don't skip the summary, got that. Don't put personal stuff on it, got that. Don't forget volunteer work, got that.

What about high school/no high school? Military/no military? Go back 10-15 years or put up everything? Make it exactly like a paper resume (one page), or put up everything you've done? Since LinkedIn is a social media site, if there's a connection with someone out there from years ago, it could mean a contact for a job.
I heard don't try to cover up age, it will come up eventually.

My connections need much to be desired I know, I'm working on it. I'm also trying to stay engaged by sharing an interesting article or video relevant to my field, and belonging to a couple of groups, and posting to their boards.

So, for those of you that use LinkedIn, what's on your profile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 08:46 AM

6,569 posts, read 11,233,872 times
I don't have my H.S. and military exp. is N/A for me.

Profile/Summary - probably shorter than it can be. But I don't feel the need to have a novel. Just a quick intro. with what I feel are pertinent information.

Jobs - I do have all of the former companies I worked for on there (more than what's on my resume). This is specifically for networking. Albeit I don't have job description details listed out on there (just title and when i worked there).

Education - Bachelors and masters only.

Volunteer exp. - what I've done as well as what I'm looking for.

Certifications - self explanatory

Skills - helps if you also have endorsements for these.

Groups/People I'm following.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:16 AM

306 posts, read 515,704 times
I wouldn't include High School. I am not sure about Military.

I would include all relevant/important job titles. I see people who put Cashier and Pizza Delivery Driver positions on LinkedIn, and I while I respect anyone who works in any field of work, I don't understand the point of it on LinkedIn.

As for connections, what I did when I first started, was I requested literally about 500 people I did not know (and around ~50-75 people I did know). I felt really embarassed and cheesey at first, but I was desperate in obtaining a quick presence. Fast forward a few weeks/months and my LinkedIn looked legit. The people will either accept you or deny you. Some will endorse you despite not knowing you. Nothing really to lose.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:54 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,468,522 times
My LinkedIn profile is simply a picture of me riding a lion with the job title "Certified BadA**"

Old 07-27-2015, 09:23 PM

2,696 posts, read 3,761,374 times
No reference to high school. Basically I have my relevant jobs listed.

I think if you were in the military, it may be a good idea to list it, no matter how far back.

With few exceptions, I don't think it is necessary to list anything work-related that is over 10 or 15 years. YMMV

Old 07-27-2015, 09:48 PM

789 posts, read 1,988,525 times
LinkedIn is a great forum to highlight your skills and find ways to connect with people. I always check candidate's LinkedIn profiles. While I think bullet points per position should be limited, you have the opportunity to add so much more information. I love being able to connect with someone. So if I see that they are involved with similar charities or follow similar groups/influencers, it gives me a starting point for conversation and connecting.

Specifically to your question, I would include military and any positions that contributed to your skillset. If you live in the same state/area of where you grew up, it can't hurt to include your high school (you never know when you might run into an alumni that's also a hiring manager).

A great thing to do would be to look up the profiles of several leading people in your field. Model your profile off of theirs. See who they follow and who influences them.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:15 AM

34,944 posts, read 31,079,407 times
I have my high school listed but I don't think it's relevant. I basically go by the rule it should be an "enhanced resume" and treat it as such.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:58 AM

493 posts, read 978,335 times
Right now I have pretty much everything on there, high school, fast food jobs I worked in high school. I probably should clean it up a bit, but for high school and jobs not relevant to my field I just list them with no real detail. The meat of my profile is all about my recent jobs and higher education.

If you have military service I'd definitely include that.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:42 PM

291 posts, read 390,017 times
I would absolutely include your military experience.

Regarding your profile, it sounds like you are off to a good start. I read every article I could find and then more. I also searched L/I for people with the job title I am seeking and read their profiles top to bottom for more ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search