Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 04:34 PM

514 posts, read 764,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

For employment, I have no problem with using credit record for jobs that involve opportunities for financial fraud, such as accountants, but even for IT developers. I know of a case where a programmer doing a billing system got away with something for several years before it was caught. People would often pay rounding up, so that if their bill was $227.14 they would pay $228. The cash application program that he wrote would place those additional cents onto his personal account. With 350,000 accounts billed every month it was more than enough to cover his own bill and still leave a couple of hundred credit balance. It was only after a customer service person was busted for tampering with her own account that the auditors looked closely at every employee's account and it was discovered.
uhh, im pretty sure you were watching the movie office space
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 07:21 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
I once rescinded a job offer because of the applicants poor credit.

She had a really terrible credit score, and the place I was at had been hit hard with internal theft recently. My job had opened up because my predecessor had been caught embezzling.

In addition to a poor credit score, the applicant would have been taking a $10k pay cut to come work for me.

HR left it to me to make the call, and I withdrew the offer.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:58 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,625,469 times
I have people calling me all the time asking if they can have their tax lien cancelled because it is impacting their employment opportunities.

We only cancel if we made an error in filing the lien otherwise we file a warrant of satisfaction. I have people tell me even if a lien is satisfied it impacts them negatively for employment and of course financing.

There are times that a lien is placed on someone who ends up fixing the issue with either no or a very small payment due but if we followed all the procedures and they ignored us until after the lien went in we satisfy the lien we do not cancel it.

The paperwork for the cancellation states that it was filed in error and if we did not make an error we do not want to send that out.

It takes a long time before we file the lien with significant notice of the process. Many people ignore these notices. Some do not even open the envelops.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:08 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
The only time I've encountered a credit check that would impact the decision to hire was with TSA. You had to have good finances, supposedly to resist taking bribes and such (or so I was told). Best paying job in the area, and only those who were well enough off could get it. Hmm.

I agree that reading the background check release you signed should clear that up for you.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:05 AM

8,208 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Yes, at a gas station for cashier job. I really knew nothing about credit back then. Wasn't taught in school. I'd never even heard of identity theft. So I went to a loan place and they pulled my credit report for me and gave me a copy. I was about a quart of a million dollars in debt and had not done any of it. Never had a credit card or anything like that. I was still a teenager. Never could find anyone to help me fix it so after few years of trying I gave up. Dunno how bad it's impacted me for sure, but that was over 20 years ago.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:21 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
In Illinois it is illegal for most positions as it should be nationwide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search