Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 06:35 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,398,734 times

Advertisements

Let him know that you need to run an errand during your lunch time and it may run 45 minutes past lunch.

Morales are good, but at times we need to extend a fib without giving out too much information. I don't think saying key words fibbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 06:50 AM

4 posts, read 14,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I once gave my boss notice without having another job, because I always feel guilty looking for a new job while working for someone else. When he asked why I wanted to leave and I told him it was because of the salary (it was a state job), he asked if that was the only reason. When I told him yes, he picked up the phone and got me 6 k more- and this was years ago.
Wish that worked today. It has been my experience that once an individual has decided to leave, they are gone! Even if you bribe them to stay! The other problem is that there is a possibility other employees were aware of the individual's desire to leave then all of a sudden they are $taying??? The line starts for form at the manager's office! I actually had someone that was surprised that I did not try to "beg or bribe" them to stay! Their decision to make a chage is not all that easy. If they have another offer on the table, I don't need to make life any more difficult for them with a counter offer. (Well maybe only for a very select few...)

Old 01-27-2008, 09:27 AM

982 posts, read 3,486,651 times
KayKay,

Your job interview really is none of your current employers business. The way I see it is, if they allowed more flexibility and genuinely cared about keeping you happy...you wouldn't be looking for another job. Another thing that came to mind (because of my own personal experience) is retaliation. I used to believe that I needed to be honest with my employer. When I told my manager I was exploring other opportunities, he made my life a living hell.

The only loyalty you owe is to yourself. Tell them you have 'personal business' to take care of.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:55 AM

25 posts, read 114,032 times
Default interviewing for a job

I read all the suggestions and I think they are great, however if done often enough your employer will begin to wonder if you are interviewing. As a manager it is always obvious to me. It's tough to hide. I too had an 8-5 with an hour lunch, but I was able to interview creatively.
Most propective employers understand that it is not easy to come in for interviews. Personally, I was honest with them and my approach was to determine on the phone if the job I was seeking would be a good fit for me then you are not wasting your time interviewing everywhere in person. So I suggest you do a through research on the company to determine if you want to work there, then talk with the person who is doing the hiring on the phone to screen her/him with some good questions. You will know then if its worth risking your current emplyment to take time off to interview where you may not want to work either. I hope this helps.

quote=kaykay;2619702]Hi! I posted this awhile back on the religion forum, and got some good response since it's kinda an ethical issue. I'm starting to apply again for other jobs so I suspect it will be coming up. Anyway, thought I'd post here and see what responses I might get over here.

Bottom line: I'm a Christian and I absolutely am not willing to lie to my employer about where I'm going. But I can hardly say, "excuse me, but I need to go out for a job interview..." I work 8-5 in my current position, and have a one hour lunch with no flexibility about when I take it or taking more time than 1 hour. I don't mind saying I need to leave for "personal business" but since I've always been a little more upfront than that, that's bound to sound suspicious. In other positions, I've had more flexibility so this is the first time I've really had to deal with this issue.

Any suggestions???[/quote]

Old 01-27-2008, 02:52 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Can you not just take a "vacation" day?
Actually, this might not be a bad idea, Troop. Depending on how soon I had to interview. I have to give them a little "heads up" that I want to take a day off. But this might be "do-able."
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCR-55 View Post
Not that I want to start or carry on another thread, but why are you considering another job (interview)? Is your current position something that could or may improve ($'s, responsibility, general satisfaction etc) with some "honest" discussion (some call it one on one's) with your current manager?
This could lead to a mutual understanding of your need to apply elsewhere if you continue to remain unsatisfied with your current position.
I could go on, but if your manager values your current efforts and contributions, what do you think he or she will say when you come to them and tender your resignation? Will you be prepared to tell them the truth as to why you are leaving? If the above is true, what if he or she offers you a counter offer hoping you will stay?
Just some food for thought.
The job I currently have is receptionist/PBX operator for a bank. I'm not some high level executive! People go in and out of these type of jobs all the time. I have been there over a year now. I don't think anyone would be especially surprised if I left. I have worked in some combination of these positions for the last 10 years or so. I really would prefer a job more on the receptionist side of things. A busy phone I don't mind. One that rings literally pretty much literally constantly, I am tired of. That's what my current position entails. My manager is very nice and very accomodating. I like her and think she is very fair. However, neither she nor I have any ability to change what the job entails. That's simply the way it is structured, and I am not really interested in any of the other positions that the bank has to offer. I stayed in a similar PBX type position far too long in the past, and if I can find something else, I would like to move on now and not repeat that experience. I had thought it would be difficult to find something else, but it really wasn't. However, I don't take for granted that I can just walk out and be offered something else. That's why I don't want to burn any bridges with my current position, ya know?

Thanks for all the input from all of you who have posted. It's given me some thoughts on how to possibly approach the situation.

Last edited by kaykay; 01-27-2008 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: clarify what my job is...

Old 01-27-2008, 07:20 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I would just schedule the time off, and say, "I need to leave at 1pm tomorrow for an appointment." It's completely true. And only the nosiest of people would ask, "What's the appointment for?" And if he did ask, you could respond with, "It's personal, and I'd rather not say right now." That could mean a million things, and again, it's true...it is personal, and you're not ready to share this information right now.

If he did press, I would make sure he never asked again. "I am going to the gynecologist for a physical which includes a breast exam and a pap exam. If you need a note, I am sure I can get one for you."

That should get him to mind his biz.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:23 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson52 View Post
Wish that worked today. It has been my experience that once an individual has decided to leave, they are gone! Even if you bribe them to stay! The other problem is that there is a possibility other employees were aware of the individual's desire to leave then all of a sudden they are $taying??? The line starts for form at the manager's office! I actually had someone that was surprised that I did not try to "beg or bribe" them to stay! Their decision to make a chage is not all that easy. If they have another offer on the table, I don't need to make life any more difficult for them with a counter offer. (Well maybe only for a very select few...)

Usually giving notice and making it known you're leaving for more money, is usually looked on as a ploy to just get more money from the company and that you weren't super serious about leaving. Most places resent that, and if they offer you more money and you stay, they usually will make things miserable for you, because they didn't like being held hostage that way.
If you are leaving, and found a better opportunity, just write a nice resignation letter, and don't tell a soul, not a soul, until your boss and HR gets a copy. CC a copy to yourself through email to back yourself up.
Just say nicely that you appreciate the employment you have had with them, and are accepting a job with another place, and wish them the best. Nice, light, just like a greeting card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-28-2008, 11:32 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,807,144 times
I've found most potential employers are willing to interview either after your work hours, or on weekends. Especially in same industry if they are trying to steal you away.
Also think taking a vacation day is a great idea. That way you can be all dressed for the interview without having to explain to anyone why you are dressed a little nicer than normal. LOL.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:06 AM

15 posts, read 48,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
The job I currently have is receptionist/PBX operator for a bank. I'm not some high level executive! People go in and out of these type of jobs all the time. I have been there over a year now. I don't think anyone would be especially surprised if I left.
Depending on which bank you work for (the larger the better opportunities) you should seriously look at the internal job postings. If you are near a processing center for one of many types of businesses (loans, collections etc) you might be surprised at what you could find. Don't rule out anything! With your 10 years experience handling phones you would be surprised what you could find yourself qualifying for.

I may be stepping outside the box here... If you want to make a change, you must initiate it. Check into the employee benefits for your company (bank) and see what they cover for your continued education. If they provide it then take it! Go back to school and get the training for the job you. It's not easy to do, but then if you are looking for easy then you know what to do.
I found some of the best employees coming from the entry level postions. They had desire and I always promoted cross training. Many things have changed from 35 years ago, but fact remains there are still entry level positions and just as many stair stepping positions for those who want them.

Good luck with your search and hopefully a new career. You do not have to be an executive to be missed. Every job is important to the success of the business.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:38 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCR-55 View Post
Depending on which bank you work for (the larger the better opportunities) you should seriously look at the internal job postings. If you are near a processing center for one of many types of businesses (loans, collections etc) you might be surprised at what you could find. Don't rule out anything! With your 10 years experience handling phones you would be surprised what you could find yourself qualifying for.

I may be stepping outside the box here... If you want to make a change, you must initiate it. Check into the employee benefits for your company (bank) and see what they cover for your continued education. If they provide it then take it! Go back to school and get the training for the job you. It's not easy to do, but then if you are looking for easy then you know what to do.
I found some of the best employees coming from the entry level postions. They had desire and I always promoted cross training. Many things have changed from 35 years ago, but fact remains there are still entry level positions and just as many stair stepping positions for those who want them.

Good luck with your search and hopefully a new career. You do not have to be an executive to be missed. Every job is important to the success of the business.
Thanks for the good suggestions. I'm one of those middle aged people who still "don't exactly know what I want to be when I grow up..."

I have a bachelor's degree in a social science field. (In the area I live in they are a "dime a dozen." It's my understanding that the field is so overcrowded that you aren't even guaranteed that type of position with a master's degree.) I did work "in my field" for about 5 years after college. Not even sure I would want to do that again.

Regarding my current position...I have worked for financial institutions in the past and the prob is I'm not really interested in the other positions either. I do have an interest in HR but none of the educational qualifications and at the bank I'm at, the HR dept for all branches is located in a small town almost an hours' drive from Dallas. (not interested in moving or commuting either one....)

The thing is I really do like the "receptionist type position" though it is low paying. (Thankfullly, my husband makes a pretty good income though we do need some income from me.) The situation with this job is that it has kinda "morphed" into a PBX operator position as opposed to receptionist one.

Thanks for the suggestions and good wishes. Definitely something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search