Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 05:46 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearEyes650 View Post
I haven't used photoshop in a year or so, but I used it around three years to make graphics. I don't know InDesign, but I pick up new programs really well. I've used most Adobe programs including After Effects.

My current goal is to make $45K. In five years I would like to be making over $50K.

My salary is too low for the work I do. I, "one man band" most of the time so I don't have any help. Basically, I do the work of three people. The lack of advancement is frustrating. The computer equipment is always breaking down or experiencing problems. I'm always expected to keep up with deadlines despite my coworkers missing theirs. I have to fix the work that other people have done incorrectly, then produce a quality product with very little time to spare. There is no accountability for my coworkers but my feet are held to the fire. I have more than one coworker who is rude and inconsiderate. I'm worried about my health. My blood pressure has been high lately. I know people who have left this type of job due to health concerns. On top of that, my bosses do not stick up for me. They bend and break for bosses of other departments.
Quote:
I haven't! My work and personal life have been so hectic that I haven't had much time. I'm going to start soon, though. Sounds like LinkedIn is the way to go.
Hmmm ok You do see the problem right? We're you expecting to be offered a job by just posting that you want one on here? Why bump the thread for further advice if you haven't even got around to utilizing what was already given?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 06:22 AM

204 posts, read 383,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
If you feel underpaid, this right to work for less state will not be your savior.
Do you ever have anything positive to say? Seriously....

Old 09-10-2015, 06:30 AM

748 posts, read 1,376,146 times
Quote:
If you feel underpaid, this right to work for less state will not be your savior.
I guess I am one of the more fortunate because I make more money here than I did in California!

Old 09-10-2015, 10:42 AM

94 posts, read 104,978 times
I guess I open myself up for criticism posting on message boards. Lol. No...I'm not expecting a job offer, but I did want to bump it hoping that someone knew of any job openings and missed my post first time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Hmmm ok You do see the problem right? We're you expecting to be offered a job by just posting that you want one on here? Why bump the thread for further advice if you haven't even got around to utilizing what was already given?

Old 09-10-2015, 11:38 AM

307 posts, read 672,915 times
Quote:
My current goal is to make $45K. In five years I would like to be making over $50K.

My salary is too low for the work I do. I, "one man band" most of the time so I don't have any help. Basically, I do the work of three people. The lack of advancement is frustrating. The computer equipment is always breaking down or experiencing problems. I'm always expected to keep up with deadlines despite my coworkers missing theirs. I have to fix the work that other people have done incorrectly, then produce a quality product with very little time to spare. There is no accountability for my coworkers but my feet are held to the fire. I have more than one coworker who is rude and inconsiderate. I'm worried about my health. My blood pressure has been high lately. I know people who have left this type of job due to health concerns. On top of that, my bosses do not stick up for me. They bend and break for bosses of other departments.
This post is somewhat shocking. Considering all of the criticizing of and whining about other businesses that the local TV stations do, you'd think they would be the most enviable places to work. It's just another case of do as I say, not as I do.

On a side note, even though you may consider it silly, consider not starting each sentence with "I". It is a major distraction to many potential employers.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:42 AM

325 posts, read 336,960 times
Quote:
Actually, it's right to work for more, for more jobs available and for better quality of life. Not the forced unionism for less (jobs) state like NJ or CA.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:48 AM

94 posts, read 104,978 times
Interesting. Thanks for the tip about, "I."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp6453 View Post
This post is somewhat shocking. Considering all of the criticizing of and whining about other businesses that the local TV stations do, you'd think they would be the most enviable places to work. It's just another case of do as I say, not as I do.

On a side note, even though you may consider it silly, consider not starting each sentence with "I". It is a major distraction to many potential employers.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:12 PM

644 posts, read 842,432 times
1. Finding a full time job is a full time job in itself. Want to move into a different field or a career path? Take time out of your personal life if you can.
2. Improve your online presence. LinkedIn is only one of the many different "social media" outlet.
3. Keep surfing LinkedIn and find a group of people whose career paths you find interesting and something you can and you would like to emulate. Look at what skill-set they have and see if you can go from there. I have a habit of constantly evaluating what my progress at work not just with regards to the projects I work on, but what skill-sets I am accumulating. I do this by reaching out to my professional and personal network and chatting with them about work.
4. Can you move? If no, why not? Sometimes, a move even 2-3h away from your current location can get you a much higher pay.
5. Is there an industry you'd like to work in? If yes, what is the dominant skill-set. I'll give you an example. I know someone that worked as an admin at a hospital for a while. She wanted to become a Business Analyst. She spent about 10h every week for about 2 months learning about BA skillset (Coursera/YouTube, etc). She now has a job as a BA and makes about 40% more than her previous job.

And, remember 8 to 5 is only a platform to give you the means to do things outside of work. Don't let your life revolve around work.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:22 PM

307 posts, read 672,915 times
While I am not a fan of the author, the book, 48 Days to the Work You Love, by Dan Miller, has a lot of helpful information. Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters, by Jay Conrad Levinson, is another one that you may find useful. The local libraries may have them.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:13 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
1. Finding a full time job is a full time job in itself. Want to move into a different field or a career path? Take time out of your personal life if you can.
2. Improve your online presence. LinkedIn is only one of the many different "social media" outlet.
3. Keep surfing LinkedIn and find a group of people whose career paths you find interesting and something you can and you would like to emulate. Look at what skill-set they have and see if you can go from there. I have a habit of constantly evaluating what my progress at work not just with regards to the projects I work on, but what skill-sets I am accumulating. I do this by reaching out to my professional and personal network and chatting with them about work.
4. Can you move? If no, why not? Sometimes, a move even 2-3h away from your current location can get you a much higher pay.
5. Is there an industry you'd like to work in? If yes, what is the dominant skill-set. I'll give you an example. I know someone that worked as an admin at a hospital for a while. She wanted to become a Business Analyst. She spent about 10h every week for about 2 months learning about BA skillset (Coursera/YouTube, etc). She now has a job as a BA and makes about 40% more than her previous job.

And, remember 8 to 5 is only a platform to give you the means to do things outside of work. Don't let your life revolve around work.
Really good advice. The only thing I'd challenge (even though I personally agree 100% with it) is the last sentence. There are plenty of Type A personalities who live for the next challenge, and that's almost always work related. These people thrive and quantify their happiness based on their work successes, and their "vacation" time is also challenge oriented - that's why there are people who skydive and do other extreme sports, because it's part of their personality to keep "winning". It's much more prominent here in SF and in other major non-southern cities which have a much more relaxed lifestyle. This is one reason why I'm looking to move to NC, because I just find it hard to make friends with people who are living to work and their only free time is dedicated to extreme challenges (like marathons, Spartan races, etc)

If the OP is a bit more introverted, then it can be uncomfortable to do traditional networking. I'm a bit introverted, but I also have no problem with public speaking, like I did last week for my annual work conference. However, small talk is something I struggle with, which makes networking outside of linkedin and other social media avenues a bit tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search