Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2015, 03:02 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,011 times

Advertisements

I have a technical interview about my skillset regarding programming, database,etc and my school background.

I was wondering what type of questions can I expect most of my interviews for work I ever had were for retail jobs, so this is finally my BIG boy job type of interview so im clueless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 06:40 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
They can be simple questions like what tools have you used, the type of environments you've been in, projects you've worked on, etc. Or, they can be situational where you're given a scenario and ask what your next steps are. Or how would you go about doing A, B or C. I'm not a programmer so I can't provide specific examples. But in the past - as someone who's background is in networking/security, I've been asked how I would go about troubleshooting a specific network issue, or how I would react to an outbreak of malicious code, etc.

I actually detest these questions. Even though they seem very specific, there are so many factors that play into every scenario that it is often impossible to grasp exactly what the interviewer is looking for without first asking a bunch of questions of my own.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:41 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
They are often very detailed technical questions. Maybe they will explain a technical scenerio and ask you how to solve. They want syntax sometimes, or commands, or design methods, or steps of what you would do to solve the issue. They ask about knowledge and experience but they don't take your word for it that you know something. Many companies got burned by fibbers. So nowadays they test you with technical Q and A to check if you really do know a language or a tool or a process.

These can be extremely technical and intense.

I have been in the field many years and have lots of experience. But I still have several pages of study material that I review prior to every interview. Because they want an answer in 1-2 seconds. When I review prior to the interview I find I can answer faster versus thinking about scenerios in my head which can slow down the answer.

They might ask about versions of code you use, volumes of data, operating systems, number of processors in the database possibly, how many users you deal with.

In some ways, a technical interview can be like a final for a college course, but all verbal and you have to answer quickly. But instead of 1 course as the subject , it's much much broader.

Even if you know your stuff, even if you are highly skilled, if you don't properly prepare for a tech interview, you can miss answers on things that you should have answered correctly.

You do that in one or two interviews, you will be kicking yourself in the behind because you answered incorrectly when you really knew the right answer. So then you prepare better so you don't do it again.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:30 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,011 times
well I never held a job in IT. this would be my first,including internship. most of the stuff I did in school...a year ago.
my focus wasis network side, but this is for a programming side. I figured id try to go for it, since I do find programming a fun and challenging aspect. just don't think im that good at It given lack of experience.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:08 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
Cracking the coding interview...tons of topics and practice questions of all difficulty levels

Focus first on: Object Oriented Design and Data Structures

If the job requires you to use C# then you need to practice

coding in that particular language and know as much about the language strengths and weaknesses as possible

Code as much as you can by hand. Avoid typing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search