Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 06:51 AM

291 posts, read 390,737 times

Advertisements

I went on an interview yesterday afternoon. Upon arriving, the HR person came out and handed me a clipboard, a pen, and a sheet of paper with two questions'
1. Why do you want to work for XXXXXX?
2. What positive attributes do you bring to the position?
After completing it, I was brought into the interview, and the panel took turns looking at the form.

An interesting way to quickly assess organizational and writing skills, performance under pressure, and quality of work.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this. For those interested, it is always good to brush up on your writing skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 08:47 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times
Wow!

Old 09-11-2015, 09:57 AM

5,898 posts, read 3,899,147 times
I feel like writing it down is a lot easier than being put on the spot verbally. I can make it sound neater and more "professional.." Don't have to worry about messing words up or sounding less confident should that happen. I'm never nerves free during an interview.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:50 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,881,563 times
For some positions this could be a great and applicable screening tool. If it was me I would fail, I give great verbal interview but my handwriting totally sucks.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:16 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,680 times
I like that idea a lot- bonus if the job requires written communication skills. I love that it gives the candidate a few minutes to think and formulate an eloquent response, but also gives the interviewers an idea of their writing skills.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I like that idea a lot- bonus if the job requires written communication skills. I love that it gives the candidate a few minutes to think and formulate an eloquent response, but also gives the interviewers an idea of their writing skills.
Agreed. You can have a team of writers prepare your resume, but you can't escape having to pen three or four paragraphs yourself.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:20 PM

260 posts, read 675,811 times
Did they make a hiring decision?

Old 09-19-2015, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2LeaveLI View Post
Did they make a hiring decision?
No, but thank you for asking. They were going to finish up interviews this past week and then go through the candidates. They told me I would not hear from them until at least October 1. So, we'll see.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:12 AM

298 posts, read 270,929 times
Writing essays for a job? Really.....?? If I was applying for a job teaching or something in journalism or publishing/editing where writing is part of the job duties, I can understand making applicants answer essay questions. But for anything else, no way on this earth.Sometimes employers ask for writing samples. No problem with that. Writing essays as part of application is when you apply for college or graduate programs; also acceptable. But anything outside of the circumstances that I've mentioned here, I just find unprofessional.It's wasteful and shows also lack of respect for applicant's time.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erauso1592 View Post
Writing essays for a job? Really.....?? If I was applying for a job teaching or something in journalism or publishing/editing where writing is part of the job duties, I can understand making applicants answer essay questions. But for anything else, no way on this earth.Sometimes employers ask for writing samples. No problem with that. Writing essays as part of application is when you apply for college or graduate programs; also acceptable. But anything outside of the circumstances that I've mentioned here, I just find unprofessional.It's wasteful and shows also lack of respect for applicant's time.
When you think about it, there aren't many jobs where writing is not one of the job duties: police officer, marketing and advertising professional, nurse, stock broker, salesman, and any position that has written contact with customers. Writing is needed for inter-agency email, correspondence with other organizations, and communications with customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search