Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 03:52 PM

28 posts, read 31,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
"I don't see that as relevant. This amount is what I require to come work for your company."
This is what I would like to say but probably won't. Maybe in a smoother way haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 03:56 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudds View Post
Hey guys,

I've seen this subject posted before and I've read up on it quite a bit. Here's my situation, I currently make $73,000 /yr in Houston, TX and am on my third interview with another company that's asking for a recent paystub as one of the documents to bring with me for the onsite interview (Austin, TX).

When I initially talked with the recruiter he asked what my current salary was, and I said $84,000 (because I know this will determine if they lowball me or not, and it will weed out job offers I'm not willing to move for). I also said I'd be looking for a bit over $100,000 to be willing to move from the industry giant Houston and a great company to a new location. He asked if I would be willing to look around the $90 - 100k range and I said "well, maybe, depending on how good the benefits are and I would have to hit the high side of that". The fact that they called me for another interview shows that they are capable of giving me what I want I believe.

So fast forward and phone interview with the recruiter, a technical phone interview with one of the engineers at the company, and now I accepted an invite for an onsite interview on Monday (9/21). They asked me to bring an array of documents such as a copy of my degree, an application form, etc. But they also asked for a "recent paystub (for compensation verification)".

Now I'm trying to decide how to proceed, as far as I've researched, here are my options I'm aware of:
1. Deny them the paystub (say something like "salary compensation information is considered confidential by my current employer)
2. Give them the paystub (Justify my salary exaggeration by saying that was with bonuses)
3. Forge the paystub

As much as I don't want to be shady, I know if I show them my true salary that HR will have a certain percentage they're "allowed" to give and they will lowball me. I know I'm not willing to relocate for anything less than $90,000 and I'm shooting for 95,000. I'm not overly concerned with them turning me down because I have a great job where I am, and that's why the offer would have to be substantially better for me to be willing to move.

What is everyone's thoughts?
This is a great example of how lies can catch up to you. It may be they won't bother comparing the pay stub to your claimed salary, but you've now wasted considerable time and energy worrying about what might happen.

As for what to do: 1) don't bring the paystub and let them follow up if they really want it, or 2) bring the paystub secure in your knowledge that negotiations are incomplete and you don't have to take the job unless you are able to reach an agreement that meets your salary desires.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:05 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Please don't forge anything. No one thinks s/he will get caught for forgery, but somehow many of them do eventually. Then you will be fired, and you might be required to disclose this fact in the future in connection with job application or professional licensure, etc. It's like being a sex offender, no one would want to hire a fraud-ster. You have a good job now, it's not worth it (what if you don't get the new job, and get fired from the current job for forging their paystub).

Just give them your current paystub. Be cool as cucumber. If they ask about the discrepancy (they might not because the numbers are close enough), you can talk about an expected bonus or raise or whatever. Don't get defensive and it will be fine.

Mick

Old 09-17-2015, 04:09 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
I would never show anyone my pay stub no matter who they are or what the reason is.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:47 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Many times they'll ask you to bring it in, but not look at it. I am amazed employers ask this!

Old 09-17-2015, 05:01 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,364 times
Quote:
Hey guys,

I've seen this subject posted before and I've read up on it quite a bit. Here's my situation, I currently make $73,000 /yr in Houston, TX and am on my third interview with another company that's asking for a recent paystub as one of the documents to bring with me for the onsite interview (Austin, TX).

When I initially talked with the recruiter he asked what my current salary was, and I said $84,000 (because I know this will determine if they lowball me or not, and it will weed out job offers I'm not willing to move for). I also said I'd be looking for a bit over $100,000 to be willing to move from the industry giant Houston and a great company to a new location. He asked if I would be willing to look around the $90 - 100k range and I said "well, maybe, depending on how good the benefits are and I would have to hit the high side of that". The fact that they called me for another interview shows that they are capable of giving me what I want I believe.

So fast forward and phone interview with the recruiter, a technical phone interview with one of the engineers at the company, and now I accepted an invite for an onsite interview on Monday (9/21). They asked me to bring an array of documents such as a copy of my degree, an application form, etc. But they also asked for a "recent paystub (for compensation verification)".

Now I'm trying to decide how to proceed, as far as I've researched, here are my options I'm aware of:
1. Deny them the paystub (say something like "salary compensation information is considered confidential by my current employer)
2. Give them the paystub (Justify my salary exaggeration by saying that was with bonuses)
3. Forge the paystub

As much as I don't want to be shady, I know if I show them my true salary that HR will have a certain percentage they're "allowed" to give and they will lowball me. I know I'm not willing to relocate for anything less than $90,000 and I'm shooting for 95,000. I'm not overly concerned with them turning me down because I have a great job where I am, and that's why the offer would have to be substantially better for me to be willing to move.

Salary negotiations are done on the basis of "total compensation". That's the 401(K) match, vaca, dayz off, bonuses, company share of medical and other benefits, company-paid benefits outright (legal plan? AD&D?) expense accounts, company car, gratis meals...list goes on and on. When you calculate what you actually make, you will find that you lowballed your current total compensation by a minimum of 30%. This is also why you need to calculate what their best offer translates into, from the standpoint of total comp.

Walk proud.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:06 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
I don't think it is ethical for a company to ask...I know they ask it all the time but THEY have all the bargaining power and if a job is worth a certain amount it and you are qualified to do it, then it makes no difference at all what you're making currently.

The only possible reason to verify your salary is to lowball you...it's part of negotiations for you to keep that to yourself and to "demand" an actual paystub is something I would fight tooth and nail over - even if I had to lie about it.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:48 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
I probably wouldn't do it. Since you lied about how much you currently make, showing them wouldn't be a good idea.

The fact that they are asking - is pretty shady to me.

The point of moving jobs, is not to make the same, or less, money.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:49 PM

28 posts, read 31,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I don't think it is ethical for a company to ask...I know they ask it all the time but THEY have all the bargaining power and if a job is worth a certain amount it and you are qualified to do it, then it makes no difference at all what you're making currently.

The only possible reason to verify your salary is to lowball you...it's part of negotiations for you to keep that to yourself and to "demand" an actual paystub is something I would fight tooth and nail over - even if I had to lie about it.
If this was a different situation where I was unemployed and just looking for a job I would be willing to give them my salary and have them lowball me. But since I'm not in any hurry to move or get a new job, I'm only going to consider something truly worth my while. That's why I feel I can be a bit more aggressive with this one

Old 09-17-2015, 06:48 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Hey guys,

3. Forge the paystub

If you say "2," they'll just ask for the bonus check stub or electronic deposit. And they won't believe you, anyway.
If you say "1," they'll probably find out. HR people are well connected in industries. They may have a contact at your current employer.
If you do "3," you are being truly fraudulent. If you are hired, your new employer would have cause to terminate you, if they ever find out the truth (and they may).

It's best to be honest about such things. I can't believe you lied about that. You know that they have ways of finding these things out. Plus, it's just not ethical. To fudge a little bit may be understandable, but you flat out lied about your compensation.

If you tell them you lied, they won't hire you, for obvious reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search