Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 08:28 PM

6,129 posts, read 7,964,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Won't happen. Once they know you are making 75 they will offer ~82.5k maybe you can push 85. Anything more than a 10-15% bump is an uphill battle.

If you want to have a fair negotiation fine I'll tell you my salary range and you tell me what you have budgeted and what the last person performing the job made. Of course the company will say h#ll no. You give me your salary history right now and we never reveal the salary range for the position.
Well when I'm hiring the discussion generally goes pretty much as you just described minus the part about the last guys salary. I will give a range in general, not solid figures but an honest range (i.e. "The range for this position is in the low 90s"). If I ask what they are currently making its because I don't want to offend them by offering too little. I know not everyone does that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfrommars View Post
Using your own words.. Im not their father.

I do not hold anyone to my " standards " and rightfully do not expect others to hold me to theirs.
Integrity is extremely subjective, if I have learned anything on this earth is that each moral compass points to a different north.

If my co workers are liars, knaves and thieves more power to them, most of the companies I have worked for are absolutely worse than the biggest Ahole on my team.
Until one of those liars throws you under the bus. Then you'll care.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:35 PM

146 posts, read 213,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Until one of those liars throws you under the bus. Then you'll care.
Its hard to get framed if youre not in the picture.

I thankfully work in an industry where I am judged on my performance and ONLY my performance, it doesnt matter to me in the least what anybody does on my team, im not responsible for their actions or lives.

Im probably making assumptions here John, but you strike me as the guy in the office/factory who is overly concerned with every ones " output. " The type that wants everyone to " to their share " and give it their all, Im not, Im on the opposite end of the spectrum, Im the type that cares about my individual performance, and if Tom Dick and Harry want to slack off 7.5 hours of the day, its absolutely none of my business.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:40 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,175,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Could you say that your base is $73K which is what the pay stub will show you and that you will be getting a 15% bonus after completion of project X or in January whatever, making your effective salary $84K for 2015 and that's why you gave them that number - in this case $73K wouldn't have been an accurate representation of your current salary. They can't ask you for something that is to happen in the future, right?

Actually my mother is looking for a job and she tells them her salary is base plus whatever she's been told her bonus will most likely be which is paid out in March.
I wouldn't lie or forge documents. This would be the easiest and most reasonable explanation.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:41 PM

28 posts, read 31,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
I wouldn't lie or forge documents. This would be the easiest and most reasonable explanation.
Ya this is still my favorite response if I do decide to give them my paystub

Old 09-17-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfrommars View Post
Its hard to get framed if youre not in the picture.

I thankfully work in an industry where I am judged on my performance and ONLY my performance, it doesnt matter to me in the least what anybody does on my team, im not responsible for their actions or lives.

Im probably making assumptions here John, but you strike me as the guy in the office/factory who is overly concerned with every ones " output. " The type that wants everyone to " to their share " and give it their all, Im not, Im on the opposite end of the spectrum, Im the type that cares about my individual performance, and if Tom Dick and Harry want to slack off 7.5 hours of the day, its absolutely none of my business.
Well...since I'm a manager it is part of my job to evaluate my team's performance. Not my favorite part, for sure. I'm far from a micromanager or a clock watcher and believe it's part of my job to look out for my employees as well as the company. A view that my company supports, as it happens. But I will not tolerate dishonesty and if an applicant tries to pull the wool over my eyes in any way, they are not getting hired.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:28 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,612,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Any company ascinine enough to demand pay-stubs deserves to be lied to. I've had it up to here with the assertion some people constantly make on this forum that as an applicant you have to adhere to some high and absolute moral code while the companies play as dirty as ISIS. They have set the standard that anything you can get away with goes so that is what you should do as well... play by their rules.
Amen!!!

Old 09-17-2015, 09:42 PM

3,943 posts, read 5,055,668 times
I can't believe I'm the first one to have to say this... If prompted for it in your next meeting.

"Of course I brought my paystub- I hope you brought yours. Let's compare size".

Old 09-17-2015, 09:58 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,012,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudds View Post

Now I'm trying to decide how to proceed, as far as I've researched, here are my options I'm aware of:
1. Deny them the paystub (say something like "salary compensation information is considered confidential by my current employer)
2. Give them the paystub (Justify my salary exaggeration by saying that was with bonuses)
3. Forge the paystub

What is everyone's thoughts?
I vote 1.

Don't do 3! If they find out later, they will fire you

Old 09-18-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
I can't believe I'm the first one to have to say this... If prompted for it in your next meeting.

"Of course I brought my paystub- I hope you brought yours. Let's compare size".
Because being sarcastic is such a good way to get hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search