Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 03:42 PM

4 posts, read 2,792 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My fiancé and I recently parted ways. I am self-employed as a private tutor, but at the moment I do not have enough students to support myself. This is because I recently moved here from another state, and I have not been able to build my clientele. I have absolutely no family, no home (it was rented under his name), and only $2000 in savings (due to blowing my savings on recent moving expenses). I need a job as soon as possible. Can you help me?

About myself. I graduated from a top university. I have a degree in civil engineering and am an EIT. I have lots of handyman skills, such as woodworking with hand and power tools, machinist work using a mill or lathe, and electronic work. I also know enough CAD (Solidworks, AutoCAD) and Adobe CS (Photoshop, InDesign) to be a quick study. And I know the subjects that I tutor: structural analysis, finite element methods, and other engineering subjects. I have worked in solar power and architecture.

I am not picky about what I do; I just need a job as soon as possible. My only limitation might be heavy-lifting; I have a petite frame and I have been recovering from two recent surgeries.

I am a hardworking intelligent person with an engineering background, and I'm willing to work for cheap. I'm willing to relocate as well. I have enough money to buy a plane ticket to anywhere in the US.

And in case you are curious... I have no problems with drugs or alcohol. I don't lead an extravagant lifestyle. I am extremely responsible and hardworking. And despite everything, my attitude is optimistic; I am full of hope for a better future.

Please send me a direct message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 05:51 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Where are you located? Machinists in the midwest are finding work very easily right now.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:04 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,533,451 times
kc has the car plants that just hired a bunch, think it is full but get your application in for next round of hiring? not sure if your machinist skills cross over though, they all look the same on tv :S

you want to find a job anywhere? you just blew most of your money moving and want to move again? you cant even afford the first month and deposit in many urban places... sorry, just true. and you wont get paid right away either, there is lag time to first paycheck.

find a waitress job somewhere, or other tip based jobs where you are now. you need to get some cash, and nightly tips are the easiest. you wont like it if you thought it was beneath your skill level, being out on streets is even worse though.

if you are out west, look up the water driller companies, they were talking about hiring people out there on the news, not sure if your skills in cad,machines fit, but it is a long shot if you are out in that direction

Old 09-20-2015, 06:10 PM

370 posts, read 504,445 times
Be careful-with only two thousand you might land in another city and a job that falls through. I say starting tomorrow go to every place (yes even restaurants) and apply..gain a little more security aka money...it will work out but not if you jump quickly into another mess. Good luck

Old 09-20-2015, 06:11 PM

26,712 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemobythesea View Post
I recently moved here from another state
Where is "here"?

Old 09-20-2015, 06:22 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,533,451 times
she is in los angelas? her other post is duplicated there...

$2k wont last there but there should be plenty of jobs too

Old 09-20-2015, 07:58 PM

Nothing is beneath me. I've waitressed before, and I'd gladly waitress again. I have a few students at the moment, so that brings in about $1500 per month (at the moment), although tutoring is really not something I want to be relying on.

Yes, I'm in Los Angeles. I currently live near the beach cities in south bay, and nothing is cheap here.

I am actively applying for work, but I hope that I will be able to land something before my situation goes from bad to worse.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Check these sites regularly, and look for others like them in other areas. they re employment "clearing house" for local public agency jobs. We use them regularly in recruiting. We don't currently have openings but do hire Jr. Engineers at times, the last was in electrical design a few months ago. Look also at non-engineering positions too, at this point you need stable income, an can always watch for internal opportunities or engineering jobs outside once you have more experience.

AWC JobNet - Search Jobs

https://apply.govjobstoday.com/

Old 09-20-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Nothing is beneath me.
Just put my foot in my mouth... Yes, some things are beneath me (cheating, stealing, etc). However, I'm willing to work hard to make it. You understand what I mean.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:05 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,114 times
Quote:
Nothing is beneath me. I've waitressed before, and I'd gladly waitress again. I have a few students at the moment, so that brings in about $1500 per month (at the moment), although tutoring is really not something I want to be relying on.

Yes, I'm in Los Angeles. I currently live near the beach cities in south bay, and nothing is cheap here.

I am actively applying for work, but I hope that I will be able to land something before my situation goes from bad to worse.

Thanks for the replies.
Here in NYC you should be able to find work with in 2 month of looking. I don't think you need to relocate. There should be a good job market where your are.

Summer month - not the best time to look for work. If you started to market your resume you should get interesting calls around September 28-29 Try not to sound to desperate when you speak to people. It throws people off. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search