Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 11:38 AM

64 posts, read 47,191 times

Advertisements

I am just asking for feebak on the presentation of my documents and not the actual skill/job matchup
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 11:53 AM

367 posts, read 458,037 times
Charlie,

I hire for the type of position you are looking for.

All I see in the first paragraph is a bunch of "bs", if you want the honest truth. You've used a thesaurus to look up some words, which is nice and all but we can see when they are being "forced" into something. For a desk position, "recognizing customers" is not a skill, it's an expectation. After you're first sentence about being an ideal candidate, just say you have excellent customer skills and leave it at that.

You later tell me you have excellent "word" skills, but yet do not notice that you used the word "exacting" instead of "exactly", ("exacting with" is a stupid phrase, no one talks like that, especially a desk attendant). likely when you were using Word. This leaves me with the exact opposite opinion of your word skills that you want me to have. This makes me further doubt whether you truly have the abilities you listed in your resume. On top of that, you have only stayed at the current employer for one month.

I would not call you. Please utilize my suggestions.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:51 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Go through your stuff and put it all in the same tense.

Get rid of run on sentences..."I think this position is exacting (whatever that is supposed to mean) ....with the position I am looking for.....

Better yet, get with a job consultant at a local job fair who can help you write an intelligent cover letter and build a resume which speaks of your experience and skills.

Quite frankly, you are so lost that is requires more than "patching" your existing stuff.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:22 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Quite frankly, you are so lost that is requires more than "patching" your existing stuff.
True.

For example: proficient in telecommunication services -- oh, you know how to answer the phone
For example: word and excel -- no, Word and Excel

Old 09-10-2015, 03:24 PM

At this rate I will never get a job

Old 09-10-2015, 03:32 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieregal495 View Post
Hello I have been searching for a receptionist/admin assistant job for 4 months can someone tell me what is wrong with my resume why I don't get any job offers?

Resume
Mod cut.
Cover Letter
Mod cut.
What am I doing wrong and why won't they hire me?
Just a general tip for you. I don't know how old you are or if you are foreign, but you really need to go over everything you send in, word for word, to verify capitalization and punctuation. Those HR people are such sticklers about that sort of thing.

If a software program has a name, the name of that program should be capitalized. Example: Microsoft Word.

Those HR people are looking for a reason to throw out applications, because they have so many. So you can't give them a reason to toss it out.

I wouldn't say, if I were you, that you are the ideal candidate for the job. That's for them to decide. I would word that with a little more humility. Like....I believe I have the qualifications and experience that you are looking for.....(something like that).

If I had to guess, though, it's those two one-month jobs on your resume. Anyone looking at that would wonder why you only stayed a month. You didn't answer my post asking about that, so I assume you were let go from those, or you quit? If so, it might be better if you left them off and just told a prospective employer that you have been applying but haven't found anything yet. Otherwise, they'll think you'll work for them a month and leave.

Is that front desk "receptionist" job really called that? I've seen that job called front desk clerk. I have seen a LOT of male front desk clerks at hotels, so your gender is not something that needs to be overcome.

Just keep trying. You WILL get a job. Once you get a job....any job....you can stay there a while (at least a year!), and that will give you a good job history to use to get a better job.

If you are dealing with the public in nice hotels, grammar and communication skills are very important. So your resume and letter must be friendly worded, but correct in grammar and punctuation and capitalization, and be business like at the same time.

Good luck to you! Most of us were in your shoes at one time. I started off working summer jobs during high school (babysitting, burger joints, clerk at a stereo shop). Then I think I got some general office work. Then I started doing office work at a law office. Each office job paid better than the last. Then I went to college a bit. Then I went to paralegal school. Fast forward....I was able to retire a bit early after many years of working very hard.

But I started off very small, working for peanuts. It's very important to stay somewhere for a while to show you are reliable. I can't stress that enough. Good luck!

Old 09-10-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Just a general tip for you. I don't know how old you are or if you are foreign, but you really need to go over everything you send in, word for word, to verify capitalization and punctuation. Those HR people are such sticklers about that sort of thing.

If a software program has a name, the name of that program should be capitalized. Example: Microsoft Word.

Those HR people are looking for a reason to throw out applications, because they have so many. So you can't give them a reason to toss it out.

I wouldn't say, if I were you, that you are the ideal candidate for the job. That's for them to decide. I would word that with a little more humility. Like....I believe I have the qualifications and experience that you are looking for.....(something like that).

If I had to guess, though, it's those two one-month jobs on your resume. Anyone looking at that would wonder why you only stayed a month. You didn't answer my post asking about that, so I assume you were let go from those, or you quit? If so, it might be better if you left them off and just told a prospective employer that you have been applying but haven't found anything yet. Otherwise, they'll think you'll work for them a month and leave.

Is that front desk "receptionist" job really called that? I've seen that job called front desk clerk. I have seen a LOT of male front desk clerks at hotels, so your gender is not something that needs to be overcome.

Just keep trying. You WILL get a job. Once you get a job....any job....you can stay there a while (at least a year!), and that will give you a good job history to use to get a better job.

If you are dealing with the public in nice hotels, grammar and communication skills are very important. So your resume and letter must be friendly worded, but correct in grammar and punctuation and capitalization, and be business like at the same time.

Good luck to you! Most of us were in your shoes at one time. I started off working summer jobs during high school (babysitting, burger joints, clerk at a stereo shop). Then I think I got some general office work. Then I started doing office work at a law office. Each office job paid better than the last. Then I went to college a bit. Then I went to paralegal school. Fast forward....I was able to retire a bit early after many years of working very hard.

But I started off very small, working for peanuts. It's very important to stay somewhere for a while to show you are reliable. I can't stress that enough. Good luck!
Thank you. Your kind words gave me some much needed inspiration to continue. Are there some free resources you can provide/link for me to write better cover and resume?

Old 09-10-2015, 03:51 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,604 times
why don't you apply to work at a temp agency? you may get placed in exactly the role you want, and then it could turn into a fulltime job.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
why don't you apply to work at a temp agency? you may get placed in exactly the role you want, and then it could turn into a fulltime job.
What is a temp agency?

Old 09-10-2015, 04:19 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieregal495 View Post
I am just asking for feebak on the presentation of my documents and not the actual skill/job matchup

Your resume could be spot on, but the lack of work history is your issue. Yes, rework your resume, but get yourself work history. The job itself doesn't matter, it's the length of employment that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search