Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2015, 06:05 AM

126 posts, read 205,991 times

Advertisements

So, I've been at my new job for two weeks and yesterday, one of my employment references called me and left a voicemail saying "I just want to let you know that Employment Screening Services called and is inquiring about you. I dont know what this is about but I hope your new job is going well."

Now, I am worried! Before I was given the job offer, the company I worked for had called references and now this third party company is running checks on me. Im only worried because I've had identity theft in the past where people used my credit and social sercurity for jobs and it shows up on my credit report;. Ive been working on clearing it but it's a pain in the butt. Identity theft is no joke!

Have any of you heard of employment screening services? Should I be worried?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 09:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,346 posts, read 80,658,912 times
Yes, if it's the same company, they are in Spokane, WA. Are you even sure that this is coming from the employer that hired you, and not one of the other places you recently applied to? We will make job offers contingent on the background check, but never start someone until it's done and clear. Some do however, probably because they have not had many new workers fail the check process. Should the identity theft end up as an issue, hopefully you can provide written proof. It's very common now and employers are aware of that, but it's also a commonly used excuse by people with real background issues.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:04 PM

126 posts, read 205,991 times
yeah, well, the whole identity theft is real. I had to change my name and everything. Ive got documentation to prove it, but I just find it odd that a small company (with less than 20 people), would go through a whole thorough background check like that and Im just a receptionist.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:59 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,721,623 times
Question brought up by #2 was, Was this the only place you applied for a job? If it is not, the probability is high the check is being done by another place you applied not your current employer.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:00 PM

11 posts, read 9,255 times
Just wanted to say, congrats on the job sfcitygirl84!! I'm glad that you were able to bounce back after a period of unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search