Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 09:13 PM

12 posts, read 11,707 times

Advertisements

I replied to a posting for a medical answering service. I drove to the address I was given, and it was a house that had an overgrown yard and trash all over. I pulled out of the driveway and took off. The lady called me and convinced me to come interview. It turned out she ran the business from her basement.

She did hire me. I went to one 3 hour day of training, and I heard her on the phone scheduling more interviews. The next day she sent me a text saying she was sick and wouldn't be training that day. When she finally got in touch with me a week and a half later, I told her I found another job even though I hadn't. It was all just too weird for me. I never did get paid for my one day of training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 10:00 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanGirl815 View Post
I went in for an interview years ago at this company and the guy interviewing me asked me out at the end! Um.. awkward... Needless to say, when they offered me the job I declined LOL
This happened to me at the end of a surreal interview.

This was in the early 2000s and I applied for a "direct marketing job" in the "wireless industry." The job paid hour,y with comission. And the perk was a free cell phone + plan.

I was a recent college grad. They told me to allot a few hours for the interview and that I would get to shadow an employee. I was umemployeed so I had the time. I arrive at the office and it was like an apartment. I meet the manager for a short interview and she handed me off to an experienced rep.

We both got bus tickets and clipboards. Then we headed off to the bus stop. We got off on a commercial street and walked into a drugstore. I was instructed to watch. The guy I was shadowing then went off to talk to people in the store to sell them cell phone plans. (Pre-carrier stores)

I tried to contain my disbelief. After 20 minutes of me watching, i was instructed to try it as well. This was the "test" in the interview. I was in disbelief, but thought it would be a hood story so I tried to sell some plans. We walked into clothing stores and stopped people on the street. I felt like an idiot. I sold a few plans and after about 90 minutes we headed back to the office.

I returned and had a follow up with the manager. She was like "you were amazing, you are hired." I also got $20 of commission for the plans in cash.

She invited me to hang out with the team, who pulled a six-pack out of the fridge. I think all of the people were underage. And my "interviewer" was like, "you are cool, do you want to come to my party tomorrow?"

I took a sip of beer, stayed for 10-15 minutes and told the manager I would "think about" the job. I know you are surprised I declined the offer.

On the up note, at least I made some money in the ridiculous experience.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:27 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,432 times
I was part of a small team hiring seasonal customer service telephone workers for a federal agency. An applicant came in who was very smelly, dressed shabbily, and looked strangely familiar. He told us that Jesus told him to apply for the job. The interview was a total train wreck and the guy was kinda scary.

After he left, someone on the panel figured it out...it was the guy who lived in the bushes next to our parking garage all the time.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:32 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,432 times
My daughter was recruited off of Linked-In by a very small tech company - only 12 employees. They flew to Atlanta to meet with her, and everything sounded great. Then they flew her to California to meet the rest of the team at a week-long conference. At the end of the week, she fully expected to get a job offer. Instead, she was told they would be meeting to make a decision soon. After a week, she called her contact person and was told that they were just not ready right now to bring someone on, but if she should wait until January (4 months) they would probably be ready to make her an offer.

Apparently the main reason for 'needing' a job isn't much of a motivator for those folks.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:45 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
Jade,

Hi sorry to hear you lost that opportunity.

I don't think that the Skittles had anything to do with you losing the job. The other attendants in the interview were more likely following etiquette by offering you some of what they are eating. If by some way out reason they did test you with the Skittles thing, they are not an employer you'd be happy with. No respect.

Good luck with your future endeavours.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:17 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
When I was signed up with a temp service, they called me about a position at the local Career Center (unemployment office, actually). The temp service had me come in to administer me the clerical test the Career Center required, and they sent the results. I went to the Career Center the next day for an interview. I was told it was a job funded by "President Obama's Stimulus" (I refrained from making a face and rollingl my eyes when I heard that). They couldn't tell me how long it would last, or how many hours per week, and they were very ambiguous about the duties. They did tell me one of the duties would be to drive clients in the van to the DMV to get their driver's licenses. The temp service said NOTHING about this...I was told it was a clerical office position. I didn't want to have to drive that big van full of total strangers (I was told some of them were getting their licenses because they were just out of prison). I am very nervous driving in city traffic. I didn't want a job that involved ANY driving. I HATE driving and avoid it as much as possible. (I live close enough to my present job to walk).

I get home from the interview, and there is a message on my machine from the temp service. I had to go back to the Career Center (a half hour drive) the next day to take another clerical test. It ended up being the EXACT same one as the temp service administered.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:54 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,970 times
Corporate Amerika is such bull****,I blame it on lame HR departments.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:48 AM

791 posts, read 1,433,878 times
I don't even bother applying to PERSONNEL DEPARTMENTS anymore. Yeah, I know that they like being called "Human Resources." But, I don't care what they like. They are idiots.

I had some PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT dweeb the other day that in trying to keep a job, it is more important to be "part of the gang" than to do a good job. Yes, she was serious. This is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Oh, and the "that's the way it is everywhere these days." I've been hearing that piece of malarkey in one form or another since 1973.

Here, I'll write it again: PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT! PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT! Nahhh nanhh nanhh nah!

If a company is like a party, they're the ones than get sent out to get more beer.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:54 AM

791 posts, read 1,433,878 times
Oh, the strangest thing I ever heard from an interviewer? This guy asks me if I mind travelling on business. I say, 'no.' He says, that's good! Both me and [his boss] are divorced because we're away from home so much our wives found other boyfriends.

Yes, he said this. I even got the job.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:23 AM

123 posts, read 103,775 times
I recently interviewed and filled out the requisite forms, etc. After a few initial emails back and forth with HR I sent an email asking for any updates on the process and they replied the position had been filled. Weeks went by and the job ad remained on their website but I dismissed it as them not keeping the site cleaned up.

A week later I get a phone call from the hiring manager (not HR) asking if I'd like to interview, which I did. During the interview I stated that their HR told me the position was already filled and she stated no, because she was the one that had final say and had never hired anyone to that point. So I agree - HR departments are just frustrating roadblocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search