Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2015, 02:51 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,673,828 times

Advertisements

You still have to realize, you are not the only qualified applicant for these jobs. There is something that you are doing, that is turning off the HM.

Quit thinking you are the ideal candidate, and concentrate more on selling yourself as the ideal person for the job. Two candidates for a job with the same qualifications, will always see the best at selling themselves as a person will get the job. This is and always has been the way things go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 05:30 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,468,507 times
why does everyone who cant get a job think of himself as the best candidate and the company was wrong for not hiring them? learn why you didnt get hired over someone else, then make up the deficit and reapply later...

Old 10-04-2015, 07:40 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,193,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
You still have to realize, you are not the only qualified applicant for these jobs. There is something that you are doing, that is turning off the HM.

Quit thinking you are the ideal candidate, and concentrate more on selling yourself as the ideal person for the job. Two candidates for a job with the same qualifications, will always see the best at selling themselves as a person will get the job. This is and always has been the way things go.
I interview the same as I always have and it always worked before. The difference now is the Psuedo Freudians and their inane questions which amount to nothing more than psychobabble.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:48 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,193,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
why does everyone who cant get a job think of himself as the best candidate and the company was wrong for not hiring them? learn why you didnt get hired over someone else, then make up the deficit and reapply later...
How do you expect to be able to learn from it when companies refuse to give you any reason why let alone even contact you to let you know the position has been filled?

Old 10-04-2015, 08:40 AM

5,885 posts, read 3,857,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
You may not realize it, but a good personality, and an ability to answer unexpected questions with a smile on your face, is what makes the difference between a qualified person gets or does not get the job.
Good personality is pretty subjective. For instance, "dynamic" is a word which I see getting thrown around all the time on job postings now, even for non-sales positions. Even though I meet all the criteria and can pass those behavioral based questions, once they find out that I'm laid back with a very calm nature, I know my chances go out the window.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:19 AM

850 posts, read 896,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
When they ask for feedback from the company of why they wasn't selected, the company either refuses to give it or is not truthful. Companies are never honest when explaining why a candidate wasn't hired over another. The best most qualified candidate doesn't always get the job, BTW.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:27 AM

850 posts, read 896,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
How do you expect to be able to learn from it when companies refuse to give you any reason why let alone even contact you to let you know the position has been filled?
Exactly the reason why job seekers can never figure out what the company is looking for because most don't even get back with you after the interview if they don't want to hire you and all the job seeker can do is keep moving on. I had an interview last Wednesday and I was the first candidate they interviewed and they said HR will be in touch. I'm not sure how I did since I was the first one and they don't have anyone to compare me with but I am sure if I don't get the job, they are not going to give me any honest feedback from my interview. I really like the company and the job tasks and feel like it's a perfect fit for me and really emphasized to them that I have no reservations about relocating to West Virginia but all companies are a bunch of squirrels in the hiring decision so I don't know what's going to happen. It was the longest interview I have been on. 5 hours with 8 different interviews with 8 different interview styles.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:55 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,545,036 times
Deficits? Uh huh. Well let's see how we adjust to correct these ''deficits'':
-age? Nope, can't change that.
-currently unemployed? Nope, not unless you hire me.
-periods of long-term unemployment due to lay-offs? Nope, can erase the effects of the recession.
-too much education/experience? Well, I know how to dumb down my resume, or I probably would not be interviewing at all...
And on and on.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:54 AM

589 posts, read 691,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I have news for you dear. You already are only worse. Most sociopaths are actually quite charming especially when it counts. Ted Bundy the serial killer was so likable that the judge lamented sentencing him. All of your interviewing for "soft skills" has only succeeded in filling the ranks of corporations with cut throat amoral cronies who politic and BS very well and frustrate the heck out of people who just want to come to work and do a good job and add value to the company.

This is why I never have sympathy for companies with talent problems. They are almost always to blame for their own mess.
Hahaha, so true! Getting a job nowadays is so much more about being "likeable" to the interviewer that a sociopath will excel over someone who is actually more productive. Oh well, that's what employers get when they interview looking for friends instead of someone who can do the job.

MSchemist80, I've been away for a while and I'm glad to see more of your insightful posts. Keep up the good work!

Old 10-04-2015, 11:18 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,790,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
Hahaha, so true! Getting a job nowadays is so much more about being "likeable" to the interviewer that a sociopath will excel over someone who is actually more productive. Oh well, that's what employers get when they interview looking for friends instead of someone who can do the job.

MSchemist80, I've been away for a while and I'm glad to see more of your insightful posts. Keep up the good work!
I've said this before but I can't get over how messed up this is. When they want someone "likeable" I can't achieve that so when I am rejected I become more "unlikeable" due to the fact I can't hide my negative feelings. They have been sabotaging me.
Maybe other people have the same problem..idk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search