Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would a sealed juvenile petty theft record prevent me from getting gov white collar jobs?
yes 2 28.57%
no 5 71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 05:39 PM

297 posts, read 275,405 times

Advertisements

got caught shoplifting at 16. now 22. counted as a misdemeanor. would this record prevent me from working white collar jobs for the government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 05:49 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,407,328 times
NO. I love how you made it into a poll ? Are you looking for facts or popular opinion ? Legally speaking, NO. It's a juvenile misdemeanor. You have a clean record as an adult !

Old 10-09-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
NO. I love how you made it into a poll ? Are you looking for facts or popular opinion ? Legally speaking, NO. It's a juvenile misdemeanor. You have a clean record as an adult !
thanks for commenting

i was thinking maybe different individuals have had different experiences/luck/stories from people they know.

i heard how some gov jobs require very strict background checks, usually the ones that have access to sensitive information. Do that given my criminal record, i would qualify for those, too? I'm interested in software security in the gov.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:01 PM

498 posts, read 972,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
If the gov job comes with an FBI background check juvenile records will be included in the check if the FBI has them on record. So depending on what job he's going after and whether the arrest/conviction was ever filed with the FBI, it might come up.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:08 PM

1,963 posts, read 2,689,785 times
If the govt/FBI does a background check, it will, show up. Whether it'll prevent you from getting a job, it depends in the job. It also depends on how long ago it happened.

In any case, be sure to disclose it if asked. If you don't, and they find it, you'll be immediately disqualified.

I worked for the govt for 25 years.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
If the gov job comes with an FBI background check juvenile records will be included in the check if the FBI has them on record. So depending on what job he's going after and whether the arrest/conviction was ever filed with the FBI, it might come up.
well, to be filed with the fbi, it has to be a huge felony, right? like something that made the news headline?

Old 10-09-2015, 06:44 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,009,742 times
I'd recommend that you declare it and with the declaration state that you were a juvie and that you learned from it and it would never happen again.

You may or may not be disqualified for a position depending on what the duties are. Likely you will not be collecting cash fees, or doing things like that since it is fairly recent. IT, depends on exactly what. Running the CIA's system, nope. Helping folks that can not remember their password reset it on a system for an agency that has little if any critical information, maybe. With time, that could change as you show that you are trustworthy.

BTW, I have been with the fed gov for over 25 years. My security clearance included them finding my Kindergarten teacher to ask about my personality--WHEN I WAS 5 years old, and also going to ask the neighbors in an area that I moved out of at age 8. BUT I was around lots of classified stuff.

So, it really does depend on the job and what you would be working with.

Oh, the FBI database is just a compilation of the local data bases, it does not even require a conviction to get on it.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
I'd recommend that you declare it and with the declaration state that you were a juvie and that you learned from it and it would never happen again.

You may or may not be disqualified for a position depending on what the duties are. Likely you will not be collecting cash fees, or doing things like that since it is fairly recent. IT, depends on exactly what. Running the CIA's system, nope. Helping folks that can not remember their password reset it on a system for an agency that has little if any critical information, maybe. With time, that could change as you show that you are trustworthy.

BTW, I have been with the fed gov for over 25 years. My security clearance included them finding my Kindergarten teacher to ask about my personality--WHEN I WAS 5 years old, and also going to ask the neighbors in an area that I moved out of at age 8. BUT I was around lots of classified stuff.

So, it really does depend on the job and what you would be working with.

Oh, the FBI database is just a compilation of the local data bases, it does not even require a conviction to get on it.
wow that is very strict. do you work in a position that deals with a lot of very sensitive info?

do you think that, since it is almost impossible to get these important roles without experience, that i could prove my trustworthiness in entry level roles, and then the years of working for the public sector would build my character's credibility? Such would be the process one must go through (start from entry level) with a squeaky clean record anyways.

Also, you said 6 years is rather recent. How many years minimum since the crime do you think public sector employers see my record as insignificant? a decade? two decades?

Old 10-10-2015, 02:50 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,657,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCuriouss View Post
well, to be filed with the fbi, it has to be a huge felony, right? like something that made the news headline?
The FBI has a fingerprint database of everyone who has ever been arrested and fingerprinted. The also have on file fingerprints of anyone who has ever been voluntarily fingerprinted, military people, etc. These days, with all the computers, they can check fairly quickly. If you show up, you show up. It's up to the agency granting the clearance what they want to do with that information.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:48 PM

12,064 posts, read 23,095,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
The FBI has a fingerprint database of everyone who has ever been arrested and fingerprinted. The also have on file fingerprints of anyone who has ever been voluntarily fingerprinted, military people, etc. These days, with all the computers, they can check fairly quickly. If you show up, you show up. It's up to the agency granting the clearance what they want to do with that information.
True, but every state has its own law regarding whether juveniles are automatically fingerprinted or only printed on court order, at what age, for what offense, and under what conditions the prints are submitted to the FBI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search