Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 07:59 PM

510 posts, read 900,436 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am hoping to get some suggestions for a career path for someone who has a math disability. The excel in language arts, but they can barely pass basic math classes. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 08:12 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
How much of a "disability" do you have? Just being poor at math doesn't eliminate as many careers as you think it does, unless it's Engineering, Physics, Accounting etc.

I have been terrible at math since I was in Elementary school. I have a vivid memory of throwing a math book across the room and into a wall because I was struggling with my homework in 3rd grade. By the time I was in Middle school, I had frequent C's in math classes and all my other grades were A's, a pattern that continued in HS. In college, I actually failed my first math class and was gifted a D when I retook it. But I managed to finish college at a very good state school with a 3.4 GPA and a BS degree with a minor in a business discipline, so I had to take math and number related classes including Accounting and Statistics. My grades in those classes were terrible (C's mostly) but my other grades were mostly A's and a few B's, so it all evened out.

I then went on to get a Master's degree at a Southern Ivy. All the while still sucking at math (and again having to take some math related classes).

It was only when I began working and spending a lot of time looking at spreadsheets that I discovered that I often invert numbers. I am certain that is a major factor in why I had always done poorly in math.

My rather long winded point is this, you can find a work around the math problem in a great many career paths. Not all, but many, if not most.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 10-16-2015 at 08:42 PM..

Old 10-17-2015, 10:49 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,356 times
first, being bad at math is not a disability..

Second, it doesn't really matter.

I've known people who said they were bad at math; and ended up very high up in the financial services industry.

It depends on what type of job the person wants and what their education is. Most jobs that are going to pay anything half way decent require at least a bachelor's degree.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:50 PM

510 posts, read 900,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post

I've known people who said they were bad at math; and ended up very high up in the financial services industry.

It depends on what type of job the person wants and what their education is. Most jobs that are going to pay anything half way decent require at least a bachelor's degree.
LD math--learning disability...this is a high school student getting ready to graduate....diagnosed and has a 504 plan due to the math disability....

https://www.understood.org/en/learni...ng-dyscalculia

Old 10-17-2015, 08:03 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvncresident04 View Post
LD math--learning disability...this is a high school student getting ready to graduate....diagnosed and has a 504 plan due to the math disability....

ok.. so that's new to me.. how about you give more information other than "bad at math" for some actual insight?

You're not going to get anything useful on these forums by being so vague. Not trying to be mean, but that's just how this works. How old is this person, what level of education do they have? what other interests do they have that would be career related?

Old 09-12-2016, 12:24 PM

16 posts, read 16,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post

And not being able to walk is due to laziness? According to you!

Disability is not always something someone can see. Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia.

The actor who played Harry Potter has a Dys disability. Disabilities are REAL whether or not you can see them.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:00 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvncresident04 View Post

How bad at math are we talking?

Can this person do basic arithmetic or are we talking about just having problems with something like algebra?

Old 09-12-2016, 03:55 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Just because you have an IEP with something doesn't mean you need to avoid that thing altogether. I have an attorney friend who is a partner at a law firm who has dyslexia. He was an above average law student with no accommodations given. At first I thought this was a strange career for him to choose since writing is so big for attorneys, but clearly it's worked out well for him. He's managed to develop strategies to cope with his dyslexia, particularly with the technology available today.

The point is, don't necessarily rule something out because it seems like it might have math. My field is mostly NOT related to math and people say they don't know about math, but it still has a math element and a discussion of algorithms, so I am not sure there are many places where you are truly in the clear.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:57 PM

74 posts, read 48,974 times
I worked at a call center where no math was required. I got a promotion and regular pay raises through the union without even asking for it. This might be something you want to check into as a first job to gain experience.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:23 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,528,434 times
Writing -- I suck at math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search