Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 12:01 PM

11 posts, read 7,290 times

Advertisements

Someone close to me left her career to raise her children. Now her kids are in their mid-20's. She feels she should get back to work, ideally part-time.

She is well-educated (Harvard MBA) and had a short, but very strong career in marketing.

The problem is she doesn't know what to do (how to find roles etc.), and has inertia/trepidation.

Any advice? Thanks.

Last edited by quest556; 10-28-2015 at 01:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 12:13 PM

772 posts, read 1,059,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest556 View Post
Someone close to me left her career to raise her children. Now they're in mid-20's. She feels she should get back to work, ideally part-time.

She is well-educated (Harvard MBA) and had a short, but very strong career in marketing.

The problem is she doesn't know what to do (how to find roles etc/), and has inertia/trepidation.

Any advice? Thanks.
How long has she been out of work? She's pretty young in her mid 20s, to already have an MBA from Harvard and worked for some years before leaving to raise the kids that she already has. That makes her somewhat different from the norm so perhaps she can figure out how to sell that.

I would suggest really digging through her network especially the Harvard connections since she went there.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:33 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,216 times
work the connections and network. I wouldn't be so fearful - we often hire people with strong backgrounds who have taken a break to raise kids. I'd rather have someone who has some life expereince and know-how than a fresh out of school grad. There are lots of programs. Join the local Harvard alumni club in town. And hopefully, she did some things that are more "business" while she was raising her kids. I'd look favorably upon someone who participated in a political campaign, ran a school fundraiser, etc.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:05 PM

Appreciate both comments. Edited the post to be more clear. Especially like the idea of joining alumni clubs and networking.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:24 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Might sound obvious but the best way to start IMO is to apply to jobs that sound interesting based on the descriptions.

I assume she's been out of work for at least 20 yrs. That's a heck of a long time. Who's she going to network with? I think that'll only prolong the trepidation.

Apply to jobs.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:33 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Unless she somehow managed to keep up while raising her kids, technology will be her biggest challenge, even in administrative jobs.

Different offices use different programs, and having to learn them from scratch hinders a lot of applicants who last worked when Word was new or on an Apple Macintosh.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:40 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,706,649 times
I'd consider a detour away from a business career and into some different type of career, or even consider becoming self-employed. The business world can be very harsh about employment gaps of even six months, let alone many years. In fact, I once got rejected for a job based on a gap of just a few weeks.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:19 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,237 times
is she working to make money or because she's bored? First, she will need to figure that out. Also, expect the pay to be minimal, even with a Harvard MBA. She basically hasn't worked in decades.. I'm not sure what work experience she would have that would really be relevant. Can you shed more light?

Volunteering may be something she could get involved in.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:27 PM

Excellent posts. If I can clarify...

1. She doesn't need the money. So any other ideas about how a woman in her 50s, currently in an out-of-the-way suburb, can get a more interesting lifestyle and discover passions, that would be helpful.

Biggest challenge is inertia. She is afriad of failure, so isn't doing the obvious stuff (creating a resume etc.). Instead, she's sitting through long motivational webinar's about how "yes, you can do it. you can get back to your career". but she's not taking action. i can't get her to.

Thank you.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:40 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,038 times
The only value that Harvard MBA is offering at this time is that she was sharp enough to get it. At this point the world has changed to much for her to directly apply it.

She needs to be realistic in her expectations, entry level is where she'll be re-starting from.

Her alumni association is her best resource, get out there and network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search