Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 03:27 PM

64 posts, read 47,191 times

Advertisements

what I want is to email someone my resume and they tell me what is wrong with it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 03:28 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Remove your personal info from it and post it up here.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:00 PM

Here is my resume sometimes when I show it to hireing managers they make a funny face that makes me feel sad

Old 11-04-2015, 06:27 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieregal495 View Post
you work at bestbuy! you can help me get the job then?
I got the job through a fair I went to at the Department of Labor. I would check with the labor board and see if they have any fairs in your area. With your resume, you have to emphasize your willingness to learn and highlight your strengths.

Based on your resume, it looks generic and lacks solid keywords that would get an employer to look at it. I would definitely list any jobs/extracurricular activities that have prepared you for the workforce.

Overall, it's essentially a numbers game. You have to keep trying and not give up.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
I got the job through a fair I went to at the Department of Labor. I would check with the labor board and see if they have any fairs in your area. With your resume, you have to emphasize your willingness to learn and highlight your strengths.

Based on your resume, it looks generic and lacks solid keywords that would get an employer to look at it. I would definitely list any jobs/extracurricular activities that have prepared you for the workforce.

Overall, it's essentially a numbers game. You have to keep trying and not give up.
Gee thanks for mentioning these solid key words! Now that I know what they are I can certainly include them!

Old 11-04-2015, 06:59 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
As deposite said, with a sparse resume such as yours, it is a numbers game.

You are in NY, there are literally thousands of employers. Pick your favorite train stop, go into the first business you see, then the one next to it. And so on. Dress nicely, and at each and every business, go in and politely ask for a job application. Fill it out, and once it is filled out ask if you should turn it in or is there somebody who would be available to talk to you.

Most places will not have a manager available to talk, but you might get lucky.

Repeat 40 times a day until somebody calls you.

As for your resume, I think you are trying too hard. You have thrown in so many buzzwords and vague conceptual ideas I can't even tell what your current position is, and I inherently distrust what you are trying to say because you are obscure. Do you sell services? If so, what? Don't be so bland as to say 'companies products and services'. What exactly are you selling?

I don't understand the "managed and serviced 5 houses...." statement. How did you manage a house? What did you do to service it? You talk about a distance, then you give a unit of area measurement.

I don't care about your skills. It is ok as filler, but it is so generic as to be meaningless.

Have you had any other jobs? Babysitting? Cat sitting? Have you volunteered anywhere?

Sorry, I know that my criticism is harsh, but I am trying to be helpful.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
As deposite said, with a sparse resume such as yours, it is a numbers game.

You are in NY, there are literally thousands of employers. Pick your favorite train stop, go into the first business you see, then the one next to it. And so on. Dress nicely, and at each and every business, go in and politely ask for a job application. Fill it out, and once it is filled out ask if you should turn it in or is there somebody who would be available to talk to you.

Most places will not have a manager available to talk, but you might get lucky.

Repeat 40 times a day until somebody calls you.

As for your resume, I think you are trying too hard. You have thrown in so many buzzwords and vague conceptual ideas I can't even tell what your current position is, and I inherently distrust what you are trying to say because you are obscure. Do you sell services? If so, what? Don't be so bland as to say 'companies products and services'. What exactly are you selling?

I don't understand the "managed and serviced 5 houses...." statement. How did you manage a house? What did you do to service it? You talk about a distance, then you give a unit of area measurement.

I don't care about your skills. It is ok as filler, but it is so generic as to be meaningless.

Have you had any other jobs? Babysitting? Cat sitting? Have you volunteered anywhere?

Sorry, I know that my criticism is harsh, but I am trying to be helpful.
I was told that you have to spice up your resume with hot buzz words to bring the fire. Your resume goes through a screening process so it wont pick you if your resume is not blazing up. I went to modells for an interview and when I gave the manager the resume he made a funny face. now I know why.

If I put intercurrcular activities on my resume wont that make it seem elementary and make me less of an attractive candidate? SURELY there must be some other way. I why did you suggest for me to go from place to place filling out applications? are you saying that my resume is so grotesque that I have to show up in person for it ti be even considered?

Old 11-04-2015, 09:07 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
I was told that you have to spice up your resume with hot buzz words to bring the fire. Your resume goes through a screening process so it wont pick you if your resume is not blazing up. I went to modells for an interview and when I gave the manager the resume he made a funny face. now I know why.
You overdid it. Using cerebral language for the sake of sounding erudite can make one sound pretentious and pedantic, culminating in ineffable prose.

See what I did there? At some point a human being needs to read and understand what you wrote, and most human beings want to read clear writing.

As far as key word scanning, not all online systems use it. Even if they do, you need the correct key words, not just anything. If you are going to try to play the keyword game, you need to do it correctly. It is generally accepted that you want to mimic the words in the job posting, and include words that are easily recognizable as relevant to the industry. If you are going to apply for retail, I would include words like cashier, stocking, customer service. A smattering of adjectives such as enthusiastic is good, but don't overdo it.

With that being said, online application systems are of the devil. They are so easy to submit to that they receive thousands of applications per opening. You might as well play the lottery. In my retail days, I never even saw applications submitted online to my company. In all honesty, I don't think even HR looked at them, and if I had requested a pool of applicants from our web portal, I don't think that HR would have given them to me.

Quote:
If I put intercurrcular activities on my resume wont that make it seem elementary and make me less of an attractive candidate? SURELY there must be some other way. I why did you suggest for me to go from place to place filling out applications? are you saying that my resume is so grotesque that I have to show up in person for it ti be even considered?
Let's be honest here. Your resume screams recent high school grad, and I know what to expect from them. Sparse work experience, hit and miss work ethic, people who need a lot of training and handholding, enthusiast, and a 50/50 chance of getting a sullen pain-in-the-ass or a grateful person who works hard because I gave them a chance. It is what it is, and your resume doesn't hide that. So own it and work to your strengths. Tell me how you differ from other recent grads. Tell me about the art opening you organized, the fact that you were in student government, or that you have the discipline to practice the clarinet 3 hours a day. Be honest, because I will ask you about this during the interview, and if you can't tell me about it we are done.

Is your resume grotesque? No, but it is needlessly melodramatic. That is also not why I told you to go door to door. You need to go door to door because the response rate from online applications to Best Buy is going to be really, really low. But mom and pop places don't use online applications. They collect paper. Lots of big name retail, as the place I use to work, also use paper. Not all, but some. If you fill out an application and ask if there is somebody to talk to you might, just might find the branch manager in need of a person and with a few minutes. That is only going to happen 1 out if 50 times, but if you can get through 25 applications in a day, that is 2.5 interviews per week.

I mentioned this in an earlier post, but it bears repeating. Most retail places get way more applications than they need. Lots more. But turnover is high too, and can be abrupt. The manager can start the week fully staffed, and by Thursday needs to hire 3 people. The trick is to be dropping off a resume on Thursday or Friday, when the manager starts to go through applications.

I would always have my assistant managers leave applications in a tray in my office. Most recent on top. When I decided I needed to hire, I would start going through them from the very top of the pile. I would usually never need to read more than 10 applucations (maybe 1-3 days worth) before I found a few people I wanted to interview. This means that for my example above, if you dropped off an application on Monday, I would never even see it. When I looked at applications Friday morning, I would probably only look at applications dropped off of Thurs, Wed, and maybe Tuesday. Luck of the draw for applicants, because you can't predict when I will need another cashier.

I hope that helps

Old 11-04-2015, 09:12 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:

Your resume reads and comes across just like the posts here -- a shuck and jive routine. The skills section reads just like it was taken from a resume how-to site.

a. Technical Savvy Troubleshooter really means nothing. What have you done and what can you do? What skills do you bring to the job?

b. Work History: I'm struggling with this. What was your job? I'm assuming you did door to door sales, but that's a big assumption because there's nothing to go on.

c. Spelling: Make sure you double check everything. Chat rooms can handle typos, but they are a big no-no in resumes.

d. Basically don't try to oversell. You're still 18 and your resumes sounds like you're trying to create an image of an experienced exec. The manager will read it, make the connection, and move on to the next person. Be yourself and be honest about your background.

And play the numbers. You'll go through dozens/hundreds to get an interview.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:05 AM

Thank you all for your input I will try to change the resume. it is not 8:05 am I am going to get ready and go to bestbuy and give them my resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search