Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 08:30 PM

3 posts, read 2,594 times

Advertisements

I'm interviewing for a high-level job in the mortgage industry. At the same time, I'm in the process of fighting a DUI that I was charged with 2 months ago. During the interview they informed that they have a stringent background check including a credit check and criminal background check. They asked whether I was ok with it and I said "yes," confidently. I hope they didn't interpret my confident acquiescence as me saying that my credit and criminal background are spotless. I wouldn't be that upset if I didn't get the job, but I also don't want them to feel like they've wastes their time if they give me an offer and later have to rescind it and start their interview process over from scratch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 09:19 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,426,854 times
DUI is not always a criminal offense, sometimes it's a motorvehicle offense. Ask your lawyer if this DUI is a criminal offense.

for example:
In NY a DUI involving minors is a criminal offense....
These things differ from state to state..

A DUI is more concern for driving jobs where they check your driving history.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:38 PM

3 posts, read 2,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
DUI is not always a criminal offense, sometimes it's a motorvehicle offense. Ask your lawyer if this DUI is a criminal offense.

for example:

First-time offense is a gross misdemeanour in my state

Old 11-04-2015, 09:50 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
for example:
I think it is always a criminal offense, it's just that it is usually a misdemeanor. If a victim was injured it usually becomes a felony.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by only2or3drinksOfficer View Post
I'm interviewing for a high-level job in the mortgage industry. At the same time, I'm in the process of fighting a DUI that I was charged with 2 months ago. During the interview they informed that they have a stringent background check including a credit check and criminal background check. They asked whether I was ok with it and I said "yes," confidently. I hope they didn't interpret my confident acquiescence as me saying that my credit and criminal background are spotless. I wouldn't be that upset if I didn't get the job, but I also don't want them to feel like they've wastes their time if they give me an offer and later have to rescind it and start their interview process over from scratch.
If they don't ask any further questions or offer any information, just let them do the background check. Since it's a pending case it may not even show up on the criminal records check. And some states prohibit the disclosure of an arrest without conviction - check your state laws here: State Laws on Use of Arrests and Convictions in Employment | Nolo.com And most companies will not deny you employment for a DUI unless driving is part of your job responsibility.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:18 AM

101 posts, read 141,060 times
Quote:

for example:

WTF are you talking about. I would love for you to cite where a DUI is not a criminal offense in the US.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:31 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by only2or3drinksOfficer View Post
I'm interviewing for a high-level job in the mortgage industry. At the same time, I'm in the process of fighting a DUI that I was charged with 2 months ago. .
The triangle of trust.

Screen Name + High-Level Job + Fighting DUI = How soon can you start?

Sorry, I could not get past the screen name.

You are really worried if you have to ask. If you are fighting the charge, and it happens to have no relation to your potential job, you can sleep with a clear conscience. You are not convicted of anything yet. Be straightforward when answering the questions and be prepared to tell the truth if it comes up.

Now, it might be something else if you were fighting an embezzlement charge and you were trying to work in a money business....but then your screen name would be "only 2 or 3 million dollars missing".

Old 11-05-2015, 12:48 PM

46 posts, read 161,714 times
I Love the irony in your username. That aside, it seems that most employers only care about felonies unless the misdemeanor is directly related to your job duties.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:43 AM

291 posts, read 390,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I think it is always a criminal offense, it's just that it is usually a misdemeanor. If a victim was injured it usually becomes a felony.
I'm a retired police officer from New Jersey. Here, DWI is not considered a criminal offense. It is only a motor vehicle offense.

OP, a DWI is not fatal to your candidacy. If it is your third in two months, that might be a problem.

I did background checks for new-hire police officers, and I can tell you that no one has a perfect background. People make mistakes, and we understood that.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzliteyear View Post
I'm a retired police officer from New Jersey. Here, DWI is not considered a criminal offense. It is only a motor vehicle offense.
OP, a DWI is not fatal to your candidacy. If it is your third in two months, that might be a problem.
I did background checks for new-hire police officers, and I can tell you that no one has a perfect background. People make mistakes, and we understood that.
thanks..that's odd, so I assume a DUI offender doesn't have a right to a trial? How do they handle DUI with injury or death? How is a vehicular manslaughter classified? (it's not a gotcha question, I'm curious )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search