U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 03:56 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,437,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeru View Post
I'm 38 and I haven't gotten a job from the resume yet. I hate that places want to see how nicely you put crap together on a sheet of paper.

So what advice would you give OP since you've succeeded in doing what he's asking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgoats4sale View Post

I have attempted to sign up with temp agencies, but unfortunately I am just not comfortable with the sign up procedures. They require one to fill out a form online with personal information such as social security number. I am relatively comfortable with most of the info given out, but not my social, especially when my browser indicates, unknown owner, the connection to this website is not secure nor encrypted. I know absolutely nothing when it comes to computer security, but sending personal information in plain text seems like a bad idea. Labor Ready at least provide 128 bit encryption, so I will try them out, thank you!

I have not been supporting myself which is something that I would like to change. I am not sure how to turn what I have done in the past into viable experience. If you are asking what I have done, I was involved in construction, doing basic maths to figure out how many materials were needed and what they would cost, then purchasing and installing said items. (site preparation, foundation, framing, roofing, flooring, HVAC, electrical, plumbing, drywall, cabinets, lighting, and yes painting and deck building, etc)

I assume that you might say get a job doing that! we would like to see your resume and references. I might as well send out resumes saying that I systematically collected unicorn farts while at the same reducing production costs by 17.2%
So you won't fill out online applications and you won't/can't create a resume.
How does anyone going to know you are who you say you are and verify your experience or capabilities?
Who will choose you over many other candidates/options that don't present this problem?
Sometimes, the biggest hurdles are the ones you created for yourself.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:34 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,341,183 times
if you worked for sub contractors why not just say you were self employed for those years doing XYZ? That's pretty common in the construction industry- i had a friend that did estimating free lance for a few years after leaving a company he worked for and did the same thing.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:41 PM

144 posts, read 84,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
So you won't fill out online applications and you won't/can't create a resume.
How does anyone going to know you are who you say you are and verify your experience or capabilities?
Who will choose you over many other candidates/options that don't present this problem?
Sometimes, the biggest hurdles are the ones you created for yourself.
Well I am perfectly fine filling out online applications, I am just not comfortable with give out my social over an unsecured connection. You literally can't get past the first page without putting in your social security number. Would you put your social into a random website? The last job I had, I filled out all my information from home, online. It was a large company with a large online presence, I trusted the encryption they provided. I got that job without any resume or interview.

That is the problem, I have no verifiable experience, thus my comment about collecting unicorn farts. Should I just fluff a resume up with what I can do? I taught myself how to do Industrial Design, (how to draw stuff freehand and design objects), but it does not seem to matter what I can do, people want proven experience or a piece of paper that says I have education.

I agree with your statement about hurdles.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:23 PM

31,146 posts, read 13,659,191 times
Quote:
Well I am perfectly fine filling out online applications, I am just not comfortable with give out my social over an unsecured connection. You literally can't get past the first page without putting in your social security number. Would you put your social into a random website? The last job I had, I filled out all my information from home, online. It was a large company with a large online presence, I trusted the encryption they provided. I got that job without any resume or interview.

That is the problem, I have no verifiable experience, thus my comment about collecting unicorn farts. Should I just fluff a resume up with what I can do? I taught myself how to do Industrial Design, (how to draw stuff freehand and design objects), but it does not seem to matter what I can do, people want proven experience or a piece of paper that says I have education.

I think you are creating hurdles for yourself. Yes, if I wanted a job I would submit my SSN online, but I'm not sure where you are applying for jobs where there is no encryption of that kind of data and like I said, if you are that worried go directly to the business and fill out the application there. If you have a car get a job delivering pizzas you can probably get the job without references if you have a car, insurance and a clean driving record

Old 11-11-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Well I am perfectly fine filling out online applications, I am just not comfortable with give out my social over an unsecured connection. You literally can't get past the first page without putting in your social security number. Would you put your social into a random website?
Give me an example of an online application that requires your SS# and doesn't use https.
If they're not sophisticated enough, they generally have a FAX number as well.

Quote:

You need to create a document that accurately and truthfully summarizes/chronicles your job experiences thus far, regardless if your references are in existence or not, so that they can adequately make that assessment and compare you with other candidates. Let's take that baby step and allow that to happen before setting up other hurdles for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or