U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 04:49 PM

144 posts, read 84,768 times

Advertisements

I am 33. I have not had a "normal" job in years, to be more specific, I have never actually had a "normal" job. Normal being a job that requires one to fill out an application with past references, past education, and is 9-5 full time employment. I did a little construction about 10 years ago. I have done odd jobs here and there. I have no skills, well I have no formal education, have plenty of basic skills just not a $$$$$$$ piece of paper to prove it. I have sent out resumes for entry level labor type positions and get practically no responses, any response I do get, they want references and past employment history. They seem to require a 4 year degree along with 6 years of manufacturing experience, all for a $10/hr. I was fortunate to get a seasonal job recently with no interview and no resume, but was promptly fired. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, whether it be how to pad a resume while having no substance what so ever, or maybe how it is people who don't seem to be able to differentiate holes in the ground are employees. Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 05:56 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,858,228 times
Why were you fired?

Unfortunately, in this economic climate, you're up against strong competition. An employer isn't going to pick someone without a resume over someone who does.

Have you tried retail? That may be something to get into just to get something on the resume.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:14 PM

I was fired for job abandonment.

By retail do you mean grocery, clothes, electronics stores? I tried an electronics store, they never got back to me, another place wants references. However I have not tried every single place in town as they are not hiring. Maybe I should try to apply even when they are not hiring?

Old 11-08-2015, 09:28 PM

162 posts, read 134,487 times
You don't need to have a resume to get a job. If you are looking for a professional job then yes it is required but any retail or restaurant jobs then all they require most of the time is to fill out a job application. Most don't need large amounts of experience if any at all. You are a better candidate if you do but not always required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgoats4sale View Post
I was fired for job abandonment.
As far as keeping it. You may want to address your issues with why you are abandoning jobs.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:29 PM

31,071 posts, read 13,598,798 times
Quote:
I am 33. I have not had a "normal" job in years, to be more specific, I have never actually had a "normal" job. Normal being a job that requires one to fill out an application with past references, past education, and is 9-5 full time employment. I did a little construction about 10 years ago. I have done odd jobs here and there. I have no skills, well I have no formal education, have plenty of basic skills just not a $$$$$$$ piece of paper to prove it. I have sent out resumes for entry level labor type positions and get practically no responses, any response I do get, they want references and past employment history. They seem to require a 4 year degree along with 6 years of manufacturing experience, all for a $10/hr. I was fortunate to get a seasonal job recently with no interview and no resume, but was promptly fired. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, whether it be how to pad a resume while having no substance what so ever, or maybe how it is people who don't seem to be able to differentiate holes in the ground are employees. Thank you for your time.
Sign up with temp agencies like "labor ready" and build up some references. I'm not sure how you've been supporting yourself, but maybe you could think creatively and turn something you have done into viable experience? Painted your neighbors house, helped someone build a deck?

Old 11-10-2015, 05:51 PM

Thank you for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susman View Post
You don't need to have a resume to get a job. If you are looking for a professional job then yes it is required but any retail or restaurant jobs then all they require most of the time is to fill out a job application. Most don't need large amounts of experience if any at all. You are a better candidate if you do but not always required.

As far as keeping it. You may want to address your issues with why you are abandoning jobs.
I did not know that a resume was not required, I'm not sure why they ask me for my resume if they don't need to see one. I mean they are just entry level basic stuff. Maybe I should wave my hand along with the phrase 'These are not resume's you are looking for'

I had never abandoned a job before this one, I have always made sure to finish something I said I would do, I spent a lot of time thinking about it. Giving that job up was tough, as seasonal and entry level that it was, I still kind of liked it. however, if given the chance to make the choice again, I would make the same one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Sign up with temp agencies like "labor ready" and build up some references. I'm not sure how you've been supporting yourself, but maybe you could think creatively and turn something you have done into viable experience? Painted your neighbors house, helped someone build a deck?
I have attempted to sign up with temp agencies, but unfortunately I am just not comfortable with the sign up procedures. They require one to fill out a form online with personal information such as social security number. I am relatively comfortable with most of the info given out, but not my social, especially when my browser indicates, unknown owner, the connection to this website is not secure nor encrypted. I know absolutely nothing when it comes to computer security, but sending personal information in plain text seems like a bad idea. Labor Ready at least provide 128 bit encryption, so I will try them out, thank you!

I have not been supporting myself which is something that I would like to change. I am not sure how to turn what I have done in the past into viable experience. If you are asking what I have done, I was involved in construction, doing basic maths to figure out how many materials were needed and what they would cost, then purchasing and installing said items. (site preparation, foundation, framing, roofing, flooring, HVAC, electrical, plumbing, drywall, cabinets, lighting, and yes painting and deck building, etc)

I assume that you might say get a job doing that! we would like to see your resume and references. I might as well send out resumes saying that I systematically collected unicorn farts while at the same reducing production costs by 17.2%

Old 11-10-2015, 09:09 PM

637 posts, read 440,014 times
I'm 38 and I haven't gotten a job from the resume yet. I hate that places want to see how nicely you put crap together on a sheet of paper.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:26 PM

31,071 posts, read 13,598,798 times
Quote:
I have attempted to sign up with temp agencies, but unfortunately I am just not comfortable with the sign up procedures. They require one to fill out a form online with personal information such as social security number. I am relatively comfortable with most of the info given out, but not my social, especially when my browser indicates, unknown owner, the connection to this website is not secure nor encrypted. I know absolutely nothing when it comes to computer security, but sending personal information in plain text seems like a bad idea. Labor Ready at least provide 128 bit encryption, so I will try them out, thank you!
Most hourly jobs require the submission of an online application, you usually can fill them out at an outlet of the business, i.e. Target, Home Depot- or you can fill them out remotely. That's just the way it is. Stores are still hiring for Christmas, if you submit 4 or 5 applications day you will get a job & it's much easier and cheaper to do that online than to drive from one business to another.

There's really no more risk of identity theft with online applications than there is by submitting one on a piece of paper, that hard copy could readily find itself into the wrong hands. But it's up to you- maybe you will get lucky and find an employer who doesn't require an application...

Old 11-11-2015, 05:29 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,336,365 times
you don't get a job because of a resume. You get a job based on experience (usually) or sometimes it's who you know. What i do not understand from your posts is why you cannot write a resume or provide references? You've seem to have worked in your life , so you list the company you worked for, the dates of employment and your job duties. There are also many resume review services you could also use. As far as references, these are normally prior colleagues and or supervisors.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
you don't get a job because of a resume. You get a job based on experience (usually) or sometimes it's who you know. What i do not understand from your posts is why you cannot write a resume or provide references? You've seem to have worked in your life , so you list the company you worked for, the dates of employment and your job duties. There are also many resume review services you could also use. As far as references, these are normally prior colleagues and or supervisors.
It is a matter of being a subcontractor and doing odd jobs, most of the time I was paid in cash. The person I was working for has changed numbers and address. I cannot provide references because I have not had a normal job in years. I did not have colleagues and supervisors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or