Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2015, 05:58 PM

138 posts, read 114,854 times

Advertisements

I'm 23 and interviewed for a certain position. One of my references is a successful businessman well known and well respected in my area that I have worked for.

I was called yesterday and told that I would be hired, but not for what I was interviewing for, but for a supervisory role and managing a group of 25-30 people. (I have a bachelor's in this area from a well known University). The hiring manager told me that they intended to promote someone internally who has been there a while to this position but decided to offer me the position. It was stated to me that I got a very impressive reference from the well-respected local businessman and that played a large role in their decision. The job will also pay me considerably more then I would have had if I took the basic position.

Naturally, I am elated and plan to thrive in my new role. But I read threads here about people who won't give any respect to a younger female supervisor. Is it really going to be as bad as some of these people make it out to be with the level of respect I get?

Thankfully, the man who hired me told me I have his support entirely and if I run into respect issues with them, that he will address it in my favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 06:19 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Don't expect respect stepping into the role. Earn the respect, you will be fine. Congratulations!

Old 11-07-2015, 06:50 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,177,729 times
Yes - I could see (at least initially) resentment at an outsider suddenly showing up and being put in that role.

BUT - just concentrate on doing your job well, and they'll get over it.

One key trait I've seen in others who have successfully done so (self included) is having VERY good people skills - not only knowing how to interact/communicate with different people (i.e. alter your behavior/nuances/word choices to fit the person you're communicating with), but also being able to "read" people - knowing their strengths/weaknesses as well as what their point-of-view/where they're coming from is - and manage your expectations of them accordingly.

I've found that less successful people in charge of others tend to use a one-size-fits-all methodology not only for their communication style, but also for what they expect out of their employees (i.e. expecting a brand-new hire to have the same level of expertise as someone who's been there for years).

good luck - your goal is to be perceived as a Leader, not just a manager

Old 11-07-2015, 07:13 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile Listen to those who work under you

I think listening is the biggest thing.

At 25, I started my own company with my brother (21). We grew it to 34 people and had it 17 years.

I ran into this issue more with older females than with older men. I had one female that pushed the envelope and it was 4 years of hell. (My brother wanted to keep her). Finally, he saw it for himself.

Today, 15 years later, I'm in a different business but am Facebook friends with several of my old crew.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:15 PM

658 posts, read 724,131 times
inspire them...set an example for them to follow. Haters will hate and people will be jealous and all; however, you have to work much harder than you did before just because... the reasons stated by the poster below RVD90277.

congrats!

Last edited by ameridreamNoT; 11-07-2015 at 07:32 PM..

Old 11-07-2015, 07:20 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,384 times
Congrats!

I have seen many people stumble in this type of situation and 99% of the time it is not because they don't have the skills to do the job but it is because they mess up the people skills early on. My advice:

1) Be humble. You are in a position of authority but make it clear that you are there to learn from them especially early on.

2) Don't make any drastic changes too quickly. Observe, talk to them so that their voices are heard, and then discuss your thoughts for changes with them before making them. You don't want a "new sheriff in town" attitude.

3) Don't be quick to make judgements. Your supervisor may try to seed this by saying "X is a hothead and really doesn't do a good job. Y is incompetent. etc..." You should come up with your own opinions about your new co-workers.

4) Make some small changes that the team has been wanting for quite some time. Usually these are good changes that will benefit the company but the co-workers simply didn't have anyone with authority willing to champion these ideas for them. You should do so and give credit to them. Don't be afraid to say good things about your co-workers if you see positive behavior.

5) Make it clear to your team that your success depends on their success so you're all in this together. With your superiors, give them confidential insight into some changes that you are thinking of doing to improve the team but make it clear that you want to take some time to observer and learn before making changes too quickly.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:14 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,237 times
honestly, if you have never supervised and they're giving you 25-30 people i would run, run far away! It doesn't matter how much more money they are offering, managing sucks. Unless you're managing professionals in their 30's or so..

And i would also be leery of a company offering someone that kind of role after interviewing for something entry level just because of who you know.

I would be worried that you would get let go after a few months when things to work out. What industry is this?

Old 11-07-2015, 10:11 PM

367 posts, read 457,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha830 View Post
I'm 23 and interviewed for a certain position. One of my references is a successful businessman well known and well respected in my area that I have worked for.
Networking is a wonderful thing.
Someday, these people who complain they can't get a good job will realize that. Congratulations and good luck!

Old 11-08-2015, 01:47 PM

291 posts, read 390,713 times
A 23-year-old managing up to 30 people just out of school? Be happy but also appreciate the serious challenge you are about to undertake.

You need to start preparing and educating yourself on leadership. There are great videos, books, articles, etc. Use them not to copy their style but to help yourself develop your own style.

Seek advice from others (outside that company) as well.

Don't let your great decisions go to your head, and don't let your mistakes make you quit.

Good luck, and don't let anyone tell you you can't do it.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:03 PM

138 posts, read 114,854 times
Thank you very much for the excellent advice provided here!
RVD, you're the best, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search