U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-09-2015, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Western Pa
435 posts, read 436,186 times
Reputation: 279

Advertisements

I currently have (2) agencies in contact with me for the same job. Already submitted a resume through one agency, with no contract or agreement of exclusivity. I felt that more times the hiring companies gets my resume the better howver was told that might look bad on my part????

Any comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-09-2015, 10:55 AM
 
Location: In a vehicle.
5,038 posts, read 3,224,175 times
Reputation: 8222
Sounds like the client is doing a "Free for all" in the sense that "You bring me the fish, I'll pay you, not the other guy"

When I worked for Textronix, they had something like 6 different temp agencies on contract. Thus a temp could be removed and come in a week later through another temp service. This caused Tek to use ONE agency then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2015, 12:32 PM
 
Location: KC, MO
799 posts, read 739,733 times
Reputation: 659
Exclamation Multiple Agencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
I currently have (2) agencies in contact with me for the same job. Already submitted a resume through one agency, with no contract or agreement of exclusivity. I felt that more times the hiring companies gets my resume the better howver was told that might look bad on my part????

Any comments

Augie,

If you have two separate agencies both sending your resume to the same hiring company, there could come from this a fee dispute.

It used to be that a HA would call both agencies and say that if they are willing to split the fee, s/he will hire the referred candidate.

If both agencies can't agree to this, the HA would simply toss the resume/file it and continue to seek out other candidates.


This doesn't happen so much, any more- the HA will simply file the resume rather than deal with two warring agencies.


So stick with the one with whom you already applied. Stay on top of this to be sure they referred your resume to the hiring company. If you think the agency is dragging its feet, you can always tell them you have had another agency contact you about the same job. This should help to be sure they don't sit on your resume. This is assuming you are qualified for the job.

The real problem here is that once you have an agency submit your resume, you will never know for sure what actually transpires between the hiring company and the agency. Now, if you are called by the agency and are scheduled to see the hiring company, then all is good.

But if you don't get a call to interview at the hiring company, you have no way of knowing what actually was said by the hiring company to the agency.

If after two weeks or so and you have not heard from the agency, even after you let them know you had a call from a competitor agency, then as much as I hate to suggest it, you might have to consider sending your resume to the other agency and see what comes from that.


THE REASON a hiring company gives out the same assignment to two or more agencies is because too often one or more of the agencies won't come up with a candidate so the HA takes the posture that if s/he gives out the assignment to enough agencies, at least one of them will come back with a candidate.


This is particularly true in contingency recruiting where several headhunters will call the hiring company -having seen the ad for the position- and the HA will give out the search on a contingency basis to as many as four or five recruiters in the hopes that one of them will come up with a qualified candidate.

Typically, of those four or five headhunters, only one or two will actually work the assignment.


Anyway, don't muddy the water by sending your resume to the second agency until and unless you get no forward motion from the first agency to which you applied.

Oh, I just realized---

Someone here will say you should apply directly, even though you applied through an agency already.

I'm not going to say whether or not you should do this but I will remind you that if you create a conflict, you take your chances of confusing the situation.

And yes, if you have two agencies presenting you, the HA may come to think you are being spazzy and may distrust your judgment as it could apply to problem solving while you are on the job at that company.


Lastly, if you cause both agencies to be presenting you and the first agency comes to know this, they may not want to rep you next time if you don't get this job. On the other hand, there are recruiters who are used to this and are willing to see if they can beat the other agency to the finish line so this can go either way. I mention this only to let you know you could end up burning a bridge with the first agency if you don't get this job.



Paul...............


...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2015, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Western Pa
435 posts, read 436,186 times
Reputation: 279
HeadHunterPaul.... Thank You! Seriously I appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2015, 06:34 PM
 
Location: KC, MO
799 posts, read 739,733 times
Reputation: 659
Exclamation Multiple Agencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
HeadHunterPaul.... Thank You! Seriously I appreciate the help.

Sure.



...


...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2015, 10:35 AM
 
Location: South Florida
4,819 posts, read 5,378,955 times
Reputation: 4869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
I currently have (2) agencies in contact with me for the same job. Already submitted a resume through one agency, with no contract or agreement of exclusivity. I felt that more times the hiring companies gets my resume the better howver was told that might look bad on my part????

Any comments
I'm a recruiter.

Use as many agencies as you can.. as long as you're not under contract to any.

Don't submit your resume for the same job more than once as it makes you look unorganized/unprofessional.

It's not like the lottery - applying more than once just makes you appear unorganized and wasting the time of the HR departments.

Best of luck!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2015, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Western Pa
435 posts, read 436,186 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
I'm a recruiter.

Use as many agencies as you can.. as long as you're not under contract to any.

Don't submit your resume for the same job more than once as it makes you look unorganized/unprofessional.

It's not like the lottery - applying more than once just makes you appear unorganized and wasting the time of the HR departments.

Best of luck!!!

So think if differently agencies put resume to same company is a plus where as personal applying to a direct company multiple times is not a welcomed practice...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2015, 11:23 AM
 
Location: KC, MO
799 posts, read 739,733 times
Reputation: 659
Exclamation Multiple Agencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
So think if differently agencies put resume to same company is a plus where as personal applying to a direct company multiple times is not a welcomed practice...

Thanks
Augie....

NO!

Recall what cfbs said:

"...Don't submit your resume for the same job more than once as it makes you look unorganized/unprofessional..."

However it might 'make you look', you are causing, as I said, a fee conflict between or among multiple employment agencies. The end result is an employer on the receiving end of your resume, sent from several different agencies, filing or tossing your resume vs facing off with multiple recruiters, all wanting the same fee.

There's no "plus" to having multiple agencies forwarding the same resume!

Applying yourself, direct to the hiring company, multiple times, is not a conflict but you take your chances on whether they interpret that to mean you are persistent or desperate.




Paul........


...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2015, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Chicago area
8,818 posts, read 13,312,939 times
Reputation: 15995
Agree it is pretty common among the big corps here that they put out a requisition and every staffing agency starts scrounging for candidates and the one that submits the one they end up hiring gets the fee. If multiple agencies submit you many companies will toss your candidacy rather than deal with the legal repercussions of having multiple recruiters battling each other and the company for the fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2015, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Western Pa
435 posts, read 436,186 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadhunterPaul View Post
Augie....

NO!

Recall what cfbs said:

"...Don't submit your resume for the same job more than once as it makes you look unorganized/unprofessional..."

However it might 'make you look', you are causing, as I said, a fee conflict between or among multiple employment agencies. The end result is an employer on the receiving end of your resume, sent from several different agencies, filing or tossing your resume vs facing off with multiple recruiters, all wanting the same fee.

There's no "plus" to having multiple agencies forwarding the same resume!

Applying yourself, direct to the hiring company, multiple times, is not a conflict but you take your chances on whether they interpret that to mean you are persistent or desperate.




Paul........


...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Agree it is pretty common among the big corps here that they put out a requisition and every staffing agency starts scrounging for candidates and the one that submits the one they end up hiring gets the fee. If multiple agencies submit you many companies will toss your candidacy rather than deal with the legal repercussions of having multiple recruiters battling each other and the company for the fee.

GOOD GOOD!!! I read over CFBS post rather quickly and drew a dumb conclusion... I fully get this appreciate the help everyone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top