U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2015, 01:17 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,855,501 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate to a new area and often get the advice to find a local address and phone number to use on my resume, cover letter, and application. I have been using a Google Voice local number so I have that covered. I have not been putting an address on my resume. My current company has the word California in it so it isn't easy to hide.

I've been talking with quite a few people and have come up with this idea:

Use a local address for the new place on all my documentation. I have a friend in the area and he is allowing me to use it. The only issue is what to say when they question why I work in CA and live in the new state (NM). At this point I could say a few different things:

1. Say I'm employed by the CA company but I work remotely. I'm not sure if this would be verified in a check with my previous employer. I would be requesting they not contact them since I'm still employed. A friend of mine in HR said he would never ask that even if they called after I was hired. I'm not sure I'm willing to risk this option though, knowing that at any time they could figure out I was lying.

2. Say I've rented a place in NM and go there on the weekends and take some time off every month to job hunt while I'm there. This is partially true as I've been going there about 1x per month or so. They might think I'm crazy going there every week or whatever but it's only a 1 hour flight or so from where I'm at now. And I doubt they would think into that or even care that this plan would be costing me a fortune to rent 2 places and back and forth so often.

3. Say the truth for the most part and say I am in NM frequently and stay with a friend when I visit to job hunt so I'm using his address during my job hunt.

What option do you all think is best and would give me the best chance? I'm leaning towards option 2. They don't have a clue that I don't have the funds to rent a place in both places and go back and forth and most likely they wouldn't even think about it.

Maybe there's another option? I just want to increase my odds of getting hired from afar.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 01:37 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,340,127 times
i would just say you're looking to relocate to NM at your own expense- that's going to be the main reason why a company wouldn't look at you if you're out of state (they don't want to pay relo or pay for you to come in for interviews). So you can use option #3 and say you're flexible for interviews but will need a day or two notice.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:44 PM

15,036 posts, read 21,772,182 times
There are a ton of threads on this subject:

Applying for out of state jobs, willing to relocate
Soon to be college grad seeking to relocate
Would like to relocate. What's the best way to find a job 1st??

Old 11-10-2015, 08:01 AM

1,078 posts, read 2,855,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
i would just say you're looking to relocate to NM at your own expense- that's going to be the main reason why a company wouldn't look at you if you're out of state (they don't want to pay relo or pay for you to come in for interviews). So you can use option #3 and say you're flexible for interviews but will need a day or two notice.
I think this is what I will do. I'll do option 3 then keep a line on the bottom of my cover letter about relocation assistance not required. Then if they ask in or before an interview I'll say I go there once a month or so and stay with a friend while I job hunt and have been using his address.

Thanks for the links. The best piece of advice I've seen in these threads is someone mention when they ask to say "It's not about IF I'm moving but about WHEN I'm moving".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search