U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2015, 07:15 PM

1,077 posts, read 649,352 times

Advertisements

In a nutshell... An agency just found me a position as an Administrative Assistant at a Fortune 50 healthcare company. I interviewed, really clicked with the Manager, was background checked and given a start date. During the interview she was so impressed with me she told me they are hiring /have permanent positions on the web and strongly recommended i check it out and apply. The current project will end late January.

Now to my question. I recall temping at a large insurance company (whose logo is "the rock" FWIW) and one of the execs told me that they had a policy where temps can only be brought onto FT permanent status after 90 days AFTER their last date of work thru an agency. He said that particular company NEVER pays the finders fee. He laughingly said "if you wanna work for a certain company, don.t temp there"!? Has anyone ever heard of this?
I would ask my current headhunter but she.ll be baffled.
And if possible please help me ascertain how the permanent employee from a temp agency fee structure in hopes they would keep me onboard directly calculates out.
Thanks in advance ~♧
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 01:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,854 posts, read 54,552,867 times
It's not going to be the same for everyone. In our case, there is no provision in the temp agency agreement that prevents us from a permanent hire, nor requiring us to pay a fee. I have probably used 8 temps in the last 5 years to help with various 3-8 week projects. Of those only one had the skills and experience to take on as a permanent employee, and fortunately we had an opening while he was still here. In two cases we sent them back and asked for someone else, due to attendance and production issues. It sounds like you have paved the way for a good opportunity,
and that manager should know their policies, but you should be able to ask the temp agency about this.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:57 PM

1,077 posts, read 649,352 times
I appreciate your advise, Hemlock. I have 2 interviews this week for permanent positions direct hire which I found on Indeed. I have the temp position in the bag which starts Monday. Although it.s a huge company, jaw-droppingly beautiful property, I believe I should still take a direct position if offered. A bit of a risk in that the big company offers more options and growth, it.s still a temp job that ends late Jan. 2016, and they could have just been blowing smoke when they say "if u really prove urself, you could be taken on board with a permanent position". I have to remind myself of that. I believe the finders fee is $10k or something. Anyone know how thats calculated?

Old 11-11-2015, 05:31 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,339,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
In a nutshell... An agency just found me a position as an Administrative Assistant at a Fortune 50 healthcare company. I interviewed, really clicked with the Manager, was background checked and given a start date. During the interview she was so impressed with me she told me they are hiring /have permanent positions on the web and strongly recommended i check it out and apply. The current project will end late January.

Now to my question. I recall temping at a large insurance company (whose logo is "the rock" FWIW) and one of the execs told me that they had a policy where temps can only be brought onto FT permanent status after 90 days AFTER their last date of work thru an agency. He said that particular company NEVER pays the finders fee. He laughingly said "if you wanna work for a certain company, don.t temp there"!? Has anyone ever heard of this?
I would ask my current headhunter but she.ll be baffled.
And if possible please help me ascertain how the permanent employee from a temp agency fee structure in hopes they would keep me onboard directly calculates out.
Thanks in advance ~♧
there is not a set standard for every company. Mine had to pay a fee if we hired a temp on FT before 120 days and also some type of bonus if we hired them before the contract was over. We did like hiring temps though because it's basically a "free look". If we didn't like the person for the job we could let them go without issue. After someone is FT it's an HR headache to get fired.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:32 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,339,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
I appreciate your advise, Hemlock. I have 2 interviews this week for permanent positions direct hire which I found on Indeed. I have the temp position in the bag which starts Monday. Although it.s a huge company, jaw-droppingly beautiful property, I believe I should still take a direct position if offered. A bit of a risk in that the big company offers more options and growth, it.s still a temp job that ends late Jan. 2016, and they could have just been blowing smoke when they say "if u really prove urself, you could be taken on board with a permanent position". I have to remind myself of that. I believe the finders fee is $10k or something. Anyone know how thats calculated?
it's based on the agreement between the company and the temp agency. If they want you- they will hire you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or