Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 01:44 PM

3 posts, read 3,498 times

Advertisements

I live in the USA and moved here from abroad. I only recently got eligibility to work and so i have never had a job in the USA. The last thing i did in my country of origin before i moved here was a few weeks admin work experience unpaid.

I graduated almost a year ago and i think due to no work experience i have had no luck in that time getting an admin position. After a while i thought my only hope was to change the few weeks to a longer period and changed it to 2 years on my resume and started getting more calls back.

I have this one company (just a family run small business), offer me a job with them and they asked for work experience. I put that job on there but never put a number seems i didn't think they would call overseas. I did say yes to may we contact this employer though, but never thought they would seems they told me they don't call overseas.

So the background check company they hired called me yesterday to say they couldn't call the company as it was overseas but they emailed them and are waiting to hear back.

I know what i did was wrong, but i was desperate to get a job and i am not sure whether i should just pray they don't get back (or do respond back but say they have no record of me being there), as that is better than them coming back and straight up saying i only worked there a few weeks. Does anyone have good suggestions of what the best thing is i should do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 01:46 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Look for another job?

Old 11-11-2015, 01:49 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,658 times
Thats a tough one. If you are here legally and allowed to work you may wish to tell them what you did and why. Hopefully they will let this pass and then your job will be to prove they made the right judgement call.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:49 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times

Old 11-11-2015, 02:59 PM

581 posts, read 664,863 times
I don't know that there is anything that you can do. If I were a hiring manager, I would not hire you when I found out about the lie.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:01 PM

3 posts, read 3,498 times
Yes i am wondering whether to come clean now or just hope it doesn't come back with the short period i worked there. I am not sure what they will do if they have no record of me working there. I don't believe the place i did work experience keeps files on people who did work experience there.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:18 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules85 View Post
I am not sure what they will do if they have no record of me working there.
They will not hire you, as you are not trustworthy.
Lying is not a good thing !

Old 11-11-2015, 04:20 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,901 times
Quote:
Yes i am wondering whether to come clean now or just hope it doesn't come back with the short period i worked there. I am not sure what they will do if they have no record of me working there. I don't believe the place i did work experience keeps files on people who did work experience there.
honestly you should come clean. As a hiring manager myself i would be pretty upset to find out something like that for a potential employee that was just made an offer. At least if you admit it they can decide if they want to give you the chance anyway.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:48 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,079 times
I believe that if you only interned at the company for a couple weeks unpaid they may not even keep ur record on file. Your "fib" is already done and over. I do not believe telling the truth now has any purpose other than making yourself look like an @ss. It.s not like you said you were a CEO!.
Put some volunteering or classes on your resume to fill gaps, and don.t stretch the truth SO much ever again!
Lesson learned, keep applying (somewhere else...)

Old 11-11-2015, 06:50 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
I live in the USA and moved here from abroad. I only recently got eligibility to work and so i have never had a job in the USA. The last thing i did in my country of origin before i moved here was a few weeks admin work experience unpaid.

I graduated almost a year ago and i think due to no work experience i have had no luck in that time getting an admin position. After a while i thought my only hope was to change the few weeks to a longer period and changed it to 2 years on my resume and started getting more calls back.

I have this one company (just a family run small business), offer me a job with them and they asked for work experience. I put that job on there but never put a number seems i didn't think they would call overseas. I did say yes to may we contact this employer though, but never thought they would seems they told me they don't call overseas.

So the background check company they hired called me yesterday to say they couldn't call the company as it was overseas but they emailed them and are waiting to hear back.

I know what i did was wrong, but i was desperate to get a job and i am not sure whether i should just pray they don't get back (or do respond back but say they have no record of me being there), as that is better than them coming back and straight up saying i only worked there a few weeks. Does anyone have good suggestions of what the best thing is i should do?

Look for another job and do not lie on any future job applications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search