U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 02:04 PM

43,253 posts, read 41,844,197 times

Advertisements

When describing why you're leaving your current position, it is better for YOU to frame it in a positive way rather than a negative way.

Never say you're "in a dead-end role doing tasks you hate with no coverage."

Just say you feel like you've "achieved all that you can there and are ready for a new challenge."

If he tries to go down the wrong path, redirect. Oftentimes, if an interviewer seems to circle back to one particular thing, that's a sign of a problem in their own company too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 02:23 PM

581 posts, read 481,093 times
Op, you are right to be done with this. This person was lecturing you, making assumptions, and leading you on. He kept probing to get information that would give him the upper hand. You provided that, and now you don't look like a very good candidate. With what he found out, he likely decided before the interview was over that he wasn't going to hire you. Next time, don't let the interviewer trick you into revealing negative experiences at previous jobs. And yes, you were tricked.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:07 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,508,503 times
The interviewer sounds like an idiot. Let's just say it and get it over with.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:26 AM

10,332 posts, read 9,379,305 times
Many interviewers already have a mental picture of the person they want to hire and what happened to the OP is not that uncommon. The interviewer was definitely trying to discourage the OP and the OP is smart to recognize it.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:11 AM

520 posts, read 211,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dessertlover View Post
Op, you are right to be done with this. This person was lecturing you, making assumptions, and leading you on. He kept probing to get information that would give him the upper hand. You provided that, and now you don't look like a very good candidate. With what he found out, he likely decided before the interview was over that he wasn't going to hire you. Next time, don't let the interviewer trick you into revealing negative experiences at previous jobs. And yes, you were tricked.
And let's face it, who wants to work for someone who's good at tricking people? The way I see it, if this guy could make me that uncomfortable in the interview, what would it be like working for him every day? I agree with you that I'm better off moving on.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:23 PM

4,658 posts, read 2,292,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
And let's face it, who wants to work for someone who's good at tricking people? The way I see it, if this guy could make me that uncomfortable in the interview, what would it be like working for him every day? I agree with you that I'm better off moving on.
Don't think anyone else has mentioned this but he might have tried making you uncomfortable, on purpose, to see how you react to pressure, stress, doubts about your own abilities, etc. There are some interviewers out there who rely a bit too much on psychology, and I don't care for them either. He may have been looking for you to re-sell yourself to him.

If he was feeding off of your answers as a way of boosting his own ego, then I wouldn't want to work for him either!

Old 11-13-2015, 02:29 PM

12,184 posts, read 10,359,091 times
I think we may be reading this situation incorrectly.

I'd guess that one of the first questions to the OP was: Why are you looking to leave your current company? The OP said something about being stressed and it bringing him down etc. This triggered the interviewer to act the way they did. That's how I see things.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:43 PM

520 posts, read 211,942 times
I didn't initially cite stress as my motivation for wanting to leave. I mostly spoke about wanting new challenges and professional growth, neither of which I'm going to find by staying where I am. It was later, while answering a question on what specific types of work I would not want to do, that the concept of stress came up. And once that topic was on the table, he wouldn't talk about anything else. As someone said upthread, it almost seems like he tricked me into talking about it.

Bottom line is, there's too much to dislike about the situation. I didn't like his personal approach, which is an indicator of how he might be as a boss. I also sensed a few things about the position itself that left me uneasy. And most importantly, this is far from my dream job. It's a case where I applied in the hopes of moving into a more positive workplace. Since I wasn't given any indication that it's a better workplace, I won't be missing out on anything by moving on. If the work was more suitable to my desires, I'd probably be giving it more thought.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:51 PM

581 posts, read 481,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I think we may be reading this situation incorrectly.

I'd guess that one of the first questions to the OP was: Why are you looking to leave your current company? The OP said something about being stressed and it bringing him down etc. This triggered the interviewer to act the way they did. That's how I see things.
This is why as an applicant you don't reveal negative things like this. It puts you at a distinct disadvantage.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:19 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,113,371 times
I'd send a thank you note. But within it, I include a statement saying that you've decided to withdraw your interest.
I wouldn't work with a manager like that under no circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search