U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2015, 09:59 PM

549 posts, read 436,934 times

Advertisements

I'm a (non trad) student, and already work part time making $10/hr in a typical office job (in my education field ). I work 18-20 hrs a week and otherwise attend school. I'm also a single parent...and really scraping to get by financially here in my final year of school. I'm considering picking up another part time job and see Fed Ex is hiring package handlers for $10.20/hr. The shift is 4-8 pm, which makes me unhappy for my child but she is beyond day care age and we live next door to family. This job would be m-f, so no weekends. But I wonder if it's too much of a sacrifice (family wise)
And maybe a really not great position?

If anyone has experience in this type of job I'd appreciate your feedback and opinions. Also, parents..if you have had to make a sacrifice like this (it's seasonal, in this case of course) was it worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 11:26 PM
ERH

1,141 posts, read 1,633,972 times
Depending on how busy your station is (e.g., how much freight flows through it, is it a major hub, etc.), the job could be pretty fast-paced and labor-intensive, so you would likely be very tired after each shift. By the time you settle into the routine, the season is over (runs day after T-giving through C-eve, with significant drop-off the week after C-mas).

With that said, it's extra income at a time of the year when many need it most, so I would suggest pursuing it if money is tight.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:14 AM

549 posts, read 436,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
Depending on how busy your station is (e.g., how much freight flows through it, is it a major hub, etc.), the job could be pretty fast-paced and labor-intensive, so you would likely be very tired after each shift. By the time you settle into the routine, the season is over (runs day after T-giving through C-eve, with significant drop-off the week after C-mas).

With that said, it's extra income at a time of the year when many need it most, so I would suggest pursuing it if money is tight.
Thanks for your feedback! I don't mind physical labor, rather it than mental/physical exhaustion of dealing with customers. Hence retail is out. I signed up for the Fed Ex "observation" so I will find out more then

Old 11-12-2015, 10:41 PM
ERH

1,141 posts, read 1,633,972 times
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or