U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 09:03 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,558,045 times

Advertisements

Nah, it's tacky. I told the career center on campus and they agreed.

it's bad form pre-interview. I have done plenty of case studies but it's in the stage where the firm has flown me out or its part of a larger assessment process during an all day interview.

giving people assignments to do pre-face to face is silly--albeit understandable from an employees perspective.

I will provide work that i have already done but not spend hours doing new stuff for a particular firm.

Socal25, I am in the interviewing process and have interviewed about 9 times during the past few months but this firm is the only one that expects this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 09:13 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,558,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzliteyear View Post
I think you are looking it it all wrong. I welcome writing samples, assignments and other hoops. I welcome them because it gives me a chance to show what I can do. If it would take the normal person 2 hours, I would probably spend 4 hours. I would send them a masterpiece. And that's how I would land the job.

My God, 2 hours? I spend that much customizing and polishing my resume and cover letter for each job.

When you think about it, it makes a lot of sense from their standpoint. They can learn a lot more from work samples than they can from an interview.
that's exactly why it's poor policy. If it took you 5 hours and you got outside help it would provide an inaccurate assessment of your ability. when at work you would have 70 minutes to do it with no help.

that's exactly why you do this during a structured assessment period so the employer controls the situation.

for a job that pays about 80k (entry level) a year i could see how someone would pay 400 bucks to have some top MBA do it for them...they could at least ride it for 6months.

I used to work as an intel contractor OCONUS....the problem with those jobs is that once you have the clearance it's hard to verify specifics of exactly what you did. and the HR folks for SAIC in VA have no clue what you are doing in kandahar. Analyst is your title. There were times when I had little experience with the actual PD but needed a job so I got real creative with skills--matched my resume to the PD-- and got jobs...oddly I didn't get fired as I caught on but once or twice I was like if I can hold out for 3 months i can come back with 70k or whatever...if you need a job ppl will do anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or