Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 09:55 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times

Advertisements

Just curious, but how to you get a retail job if you never worked in retail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 10:22 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Talk to the hiring manager and let them know you will be on time, work hard, not miss work, be flexible, and be a team player.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:33 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Just curious, but how to you get a retail job if you never worked in retail?
Three guys approached a prospective employer. First one claimed that he could handle the job with no problems even though he's never done that. Liars don't get hired.

The next one claimed he could not only do the job, but make the machine go faster, due to his knowledge of it. Lying boasters don't get hired.

The last one came in,the employer looked at his school performance and said "Excuse me, but you barely made it through high school, your math skills suck, you're english is bad, why should I hire you?

The guy responds "I showed up everyday willing to learn"

Yep, he got the job.

FWIW, I worked retail back in 1980 in CO. Since then, never had a retail job till now. I was eager and I guess it showed. Plus the last employer also gave me major thumbs up regarding my attendance.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:32 AM

Well, "attendance" is the least of my problems; I actually take great pride in my being always punctual & never late. I hate when someone's late. That aside. I was more curious as to how/where one learns how to operate those machines in case they're out on a register? Or how much math knowledge is needed. I find cash registers daunting...

The other thing I was curious about was the shifts and long standing periods since I have back problems...lifting...are thee retail jobs that don't require lifting 20+ pounds?

Old 11-13-2015, 11:49 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,041 times
They will train you on the cash register and the like. It's all computerized and you don't need to do any real math. There's a lot of turnover in retail so I don't think it's that hard to get a job. But there is a lot of standing on your feet and at some places, a lot of extra hours (hopefully you get paid overtime but still). I've always heard that most clothing places are kind of nightmares because of all the mess you have to clean up in the dressing rooms, folding, etc.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:36 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
They will train you on the cash register and the like. It's all computerized and you don't need to do any real math. There's a lot of turnover in retail so I don't think it's that hard to get a job. But there is a lot of standing on your feet and at some places, a lot of extra hours (hopefully you get paid overtime but still). I've always heard that most clothing places are kind of nightmares because of all the mess you have to clean up in the dressing rooms, folding, etc.
I am a cashier and also a trainer. There's a LOT more to being a cashier than people think and I spend 8 hours with them making sure they get the training they really need in all phases of the job. We don't have a lot of turnover at our store because it's a very good one and they treat us very well. Right now, of course, we are gearing up for the holidays and have been for the past month or so. Some of those people will stay with us. Yes, there's a LOT of standing on our feet and it's also very physical and mentally demanding but we don't work "extra hours" and they are really good about making sure we get our breaks and lunches on time. When I first started there I was surprised that we got hour lunches and wondered what I would do with all that time! lol It is really needed to decompress and relax.

We don't hire people because no one else will, which is something I see all the time. We don't hire everyone who applies either. Some of my trainees have gone on to be managers and are doing well so I'm proud of them. They are now MY bosses! lol Retail isn't hard to get into but if they have ANY ounce of ambition and are willing to learn and work they will do fine.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I am a cashier and also a trainer. There's a LOT more to being a cashier than people think and I spend 8 hours with them making sure they get the training they really need in all phases of the job. We don't have a lot of turnover at our store because it's a very good one and they treat us very well. Right now, of course, we are gearing up for the holidays and have been for the past month or so. Some of those people will stay with us. Yes, there's a LOT of standing on our feet and it's also very physical and mentally demanding but we don't work "extra hours" and they are really good about making sure we get our breaks and lunches on time. When I first started there I was surprised that we got hour lunches and wondered what I would do with all that time! lol It is really needed to decompress and relax.

We don't hire people because no one else will, which is something I see all the time. We don't hire everyone who applies either. Some of my trainees have gone on to be managers and are doing well so I'm proud of them. They are now MY bosses! lol Retail isn't hard to get into but if they have ANY ounce of ambition and are willing to learn and work they will do fine.
Thank you for your reply.

I find retail jobs very hard just from watching others do them when I am out shopping for stuff...
I applied to many, but there is nothing "retail" in my resume, so I get passed on each time without an answer.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:41 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Apply online. I don't think retail is worth it even as a second job. You bust your behind and are generally treated like dirt by the managers and customers and all wages that you can collect food stamps on.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Apply online. I don't think retail is worth it even as a second job. You bust your behind and are generally treated like dirt by the managers and customers and all wages that you can collect food stamps on.
I did; there's no other way to apply for these jobs anymore.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:56 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I did; there's no other way to apply for these jobs anymore.
Yeah and don't badger the hiring managers about it, found out the hardway it don't work when I was pressed by my ex to do so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search