U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 10:14 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,621,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yeah and don't badger the hiring managers about it, found out the hardway it don't work when I was pressed by my ex to do so...
I wouldn't even know how to find a hiring manager! Why do you assume they're accessible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 10:27 AM

27,317 posts, read 15,776,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I wouldn't even know how to find a hiring manager! Why do you assume they're accessible?
It's called the phone line, use it. Not that I am saying it is a good idea because a majority of managers hate people calling and pestering them, even ones that do that themselves.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:39 AM

5,029 posts, read 3,214,692 times
Quote:
Well, "attendance" is the least of my problems; I actually take great pride in my being always punctual & never late. I hate when someone's late. That aside. I was more curious as to how/where one learns how to operate those machines in case they're out on a register? Or how much math knowledge is needed. I find cash registers daunting...

The other thing I was curious about was the shifts and long standing periods since I have back problems...lifting...are thee retail jobs that don't require lifting 20+ pounds?

Cashiers are the "All around" person in my company. If they're not running a register, they're in the back stocking or sorting. Yes, 2lbs to 100 (Team lift) not for the slow either, sort it, shove it and move the loading line, operate a pallet jack.

Then take the product to the areas or stock on shelf (Yes, cashiers do this)

Get verbally abused by the customer who finds their bank/debit/EBT card was declined for some reason (Which is your always) or not taking that 2nd coupon from them.

Sick kids and adults (Get the flu shot, it's 50-50) angry, attitude and demanding, demanding, demanding....

Old 11-14-2015, 11:23 AM

6,226 posts, read 5,359,024 times
Don't forget these places get thousands of applicants, sometimes hundreds for a single position. Good news is, it's usually a revolving door with people no showing or being fired on a whim so chances are good you will get an interview.

The night shift is the best in a retail store. Everyone is usually high or drunk and you can sit back and watch the madness unfold.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:47 AM

10,332 posts, read 9,379,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Talk to the hiring manager and let them know you will be on time, work hard, not miss work, be flexible, and be a team player.
Excellent advice!

Old 11-14-2015, 11:47 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,046,956 times
Most major retailers have you apply online for positions. Small retail you could go in and talk to someone.
You will be trained on a register, but you have to like dealing with people.
Scheduling may be a problem because some retailers may only work you a few hours per week with a schedule that changes every week.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:58 AM

2,347 posts, read 1,453,659 times
When you say retail, you're talking about cash register, floor shift, something physically in the store, right? You're not talking about starting off as management? I've had many retail jobs and got the first one with no experience and no real skills. I'm a fast study, responsible, and willing to work hard. I was a teenager at the time, but moved up to a management position within the year. So highlight the skills you have that are perfect for retail: punctuality, responsibility, willingness to learn new skills, ability to work well with others, skills in handling difficult people (customers), ability to work both under and over people (figuratively, of course), math skills are so important, etc etc. Highlight your strengths, stress your willingness to learn, and go from there.

Old 11-14-2015, 04:47 PM

8,618 posts, read 9,682,513 times
Quote:
Thank you for your reply.

I find retail jobs very hard just from watching others do them when I am out shopping for stuff...
I applied to many, but there is nothing "retail" in my resume, so I get passed on each time without an answer.
I had no retail experience either but I did have many years of customer service experience and that's what they look for. Not the "many years" but customer service is good to have. We hire quite a few high school kids but they are only allowed to work so many certain hours. We also hire plenty of senior citizens, like myself, who have retired from their careers and want/need to keep working. Keep trying, if that's what you want but, take my advice, and go for something much better. I don't know how old you are but if you're in college, etc. stay there!

Old 11-15-2015, 11:26 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,507,801 times
You can get in retail if you let them know that you have a solid work ethic, will show up on time, will work hard, want to learn, will be available on a flexible schedule.
Do a functional resume that highlights your people skills, accountability, responsibility, desire to be trained, and availability.
Not all places are inhumane cesspools of humanity! LOL I started at a major grocery last month and I love it.
It's hard physically to start if you have not been used to standing for long periods and bending and lifting a lot, but I am through that initial period of tylenol as soon as I hit the couch and I have already gained physical strength and stamina.
I have wonderful managers and co-workers all willing to train and always checking to see how I am doing. The customers are fun to interact with and express appreciation all the time. I look forward to going in and feel valued and respected. We work hard, but have a lot of fun.
It can be great if you get in the right place. I am 60 years old and ''retired'' from bullcrap jobs that suck the life out of me. I make a lot less money, but I'm happy for now.
Plus who needs Planet Fitness? LOL

Old 11-16-2015, 04:18 PM

23 posts, read 15,655 times
I got a retail job a few months ago with no retail experience (but I had internship experience, mostly data entry and administrative type stuff)

What helped me get the job was:

1. It wasn't just any old random store. It was a store I genuinely liked to shop at, so during the interview I was able to talk about why I liked the store.
2. I applied online but got no response. Several days later I called and asked to speak to the manager about the possibility of a job, saying I had already applied online. Had I just applied online and then done nothing, maybe I wouldn't have gotten a response.

I had that job for a little while before I changed to a different job. Being in retail wasn't horrible but there were a few things here and there that I didn't like. The thing I disliked most was the fact that I had to stand pretty much the entire time. My feet and legs kept being sore by the time my shift was over. On the plus side, I rarely had to deal with rude customers. For whatever reason, I got lucky and that almost never happened. You'd think with retail there'd be a ton of rude customers. But that isn't always the case! Another thing I liked was that there was hardly any overtime at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or